Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
This topic is about Red Seas Under Red Skies
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Red Seas Under Red Skies [Jan 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Dec 26, 2017 10:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Jan 15.

Link to retired buddy read: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments Thanks Jenna... I'll be reading this one with everybody...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I've just been looking at book 4 and a prequel 0 that have been delayed and delayed, and the prequel is actually now not getting published at all!
Book 4 got cover artwork in like 2013 and still no release date!
I'm not feeling super confident we'll ever get to finish this series :(

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments Me either, Siobhan... I started the series anyway, since I heard such good things, and it seems like the books are relatively self-contained... in the same way the Ocean's 11/12/13 movies are... so it shouldn't hurt too much being left waiting...

From what I've heard, Scott Lynch has depression, and it affects his writing... altho I dunno the reasoning on that novella...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Ah right, that's a shame. I know how debilitating that can be.

I suppose if the stories in each book are quite self contained it won't be so bad. :)

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments Yea... it's not like Game of Thrones, where some books happen simultaneously...

Andrew | 653 comments Lurker here, just dropping in to add my 2 cents. As someone who has read all three books (and read the the first book multiple times), i can verify that the novels are relatively self-contained. I'd say 90% of each book focuses on that specific book's story arc, and 10% sets you up for future books and/or develops the series arc. For the fantasy genre that's pretty self-contained.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Andrew wrote: "Lurker here, just dropping in to add my 2 cents. As someone who has read all three books (and read the the first book multiple times), i can verify that the novels are relatively self-contained. I'..."

That's really good to know, thanks Andrew!

Andrew | 653 comments Siobhan wrote: "That's really good to know, thanks Andrew!"

You're welcome! I've actually been hankering for a reread of Red Seas, but between library books and other buddy reads I don't think I'll be able to start it in January; just too many time-sensitive reads for me to commit to another one. I may drop in here a bit while the rest of you are reading though!

message 10: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2600 comments Andrew wrote: "Lurker here, just dropping in to add my 2 cents. As someone who has read all three books (and read the the first book multiple times), i can verify that the novels are relatively self-contained. I'..."

Thanks Andrew. That is what I had already been lead to understand which is while I was willing to start the series despite there being no end in sight. It is good to have this confirmed though.

Beste | 1163 comments I'm innnnn!

message 12: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments I'm halfway through the book and had to pause it because of reasons. I'm in too.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I'm in, but I think I'm gonna start a bit late (depending on when I finish the Hero of Ages).

message 14: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2600 comments Since I went out and bought books 2 and 3 I'm in. I do want to try and finish Malice or Gardens of the Moon first if possible though.

message 15: by Sarah (last edited Jan 13, 2018 06:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 494 comments Probably going to be late, but I do plan on joining in!

Edited 1/13: Definitely going to be late starting. There is still one more person ahead of me in the hold line for this at the library.
But given how behind I am on everything else, its not such a bad thing.

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments I started this at work last night... I rushed through the early stuff that I'd read before... I'm on chapter 4 now, and in the middle of a flashback... (view spoiler)

Regarding the prologue: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments I'm near the end of the book now... I see why some people talk about this book like it's 2 books in 1... the entire middle of the book barely has anything to do with the beginning...

I still loved the book, in general... and the ending is reminding me of Leverage (again, I think?)... that way they had of spending a whole episode stacking up the problems, then at the end they reveal a last-minute plan that wins the day regardless... usually because they've been hiding things from the viewer/reader...

The end of chapter 15, tho: (view spoiler)

And when the timelines merged: (view spoiler)

Lynch sure seems like the king of: "How could I make this situation worse?"

message 18: by Barry (last edited Jan 14, 2018 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I’m gonna be slow finishing this, still trying to finish GotM , my unexpected read. Read the Prologue and about 20 pages in. (view spoiler)

@Iain I agree with the sentiment. I kinda like that kinda author who mercilessly challenge their main characters.

message 19: by Siobhan (last edited Jan 16, 2018 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Just finished chapter 2 and Reminiscence 2. Part of me loves the timeline hopping and part of me can't keep up, same as Lies.

Iain, agree about the prologue. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Me please.

I read about half of the book back in December but then stopped for some reason. If I restart it can I count it towards the challenge?

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Sha wrote: "Me please.

I read about half of the book back in December but then stopped for some reason. If I restart it can I count it towards the challenge?"

I think it's only books you start in 2018. :-(

message 22: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Ah well.

//Pores over schedule

I'll see if I can finish it before republic of theives starts

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments If you start over, it counts... it's picking back up in the middle that doesn't...

I restarted Gardens of the Moon back on the 5th...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain wrote: "If you start over, it counts... it's picking back up in the middle that doesn't...

I restarted Gardens of the Moon back on the 5th..."

Dang, wish I knew that. Should have done that with Last Argument of Kings. Barely started it before new year began.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain wrote: "I started this at work last night... I rushed through the early stuff that I'd read before... I'm on chapter 4 now, and in the middle of a flashback... [spoilers removed]

Regarding the prologue: [..."

Agree. I just started this one and have 0 doubt it's a ruse.

message 26: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Jan 17, 2018 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I missed this series. It's so enjoyable. I think I'm at the end of chapter ? (I have no idea what chapter I'm at. 2.5 hrs in on audio) where (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments A few reading minutes later, Locke and Jean are eating little (view spoiler)

Zaara | 4267 comments In :-) its an unplanned re-read for me and Ima do a Lain and listen to it, starting tonight.
And for those who are head skratching...yes, I "should" hv rebooted the series with LoLL...but I be weird and do this one first for three reasons:
1. There's very few ppl in the LoLL Jan edition read and coupla them are new (Yani, relatively and Patrick, very) I don't wannna start early and leave the new ppl feeling unfairly abandoned...
2. I REALLY wanna read a book with Miche and she may make it by the 25th, she sez.
3. Only last month I was telling @Ron how much my enjoyment of this one was diminished by reading it right after Book 1. So this time I'll take my own advice :-) cunningly read it BEFORE Book 1
*waves at Andrew's Post #7*

Ok fine, (view spoiler)
How come this thred so quiet? With Diana and Siobhan and Finbar and Beste? And SHA? Wtf?

message 29: by Zaara (last edited Jan 17, 2018 06:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4267 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "A few reading minutes later, Locke and Jean are eating little [spoilers removed]"

@Diana, the Crooked Warden beams on all manner of lameness! XPECIALLY the fun kind.

Beste | 1163 comments Zaara wrote: "In :-) its an unplanned re-read for me and Ima do a Lain and listen to it, starting tonight.
And for those who are head skratching...yes, I "should" hv rebooted the series with LoLL...but I be weir..."

I will start talking about the cats and you will ask me stop talking:) :)

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments I feel for Lynch and his dislike of cats... they love me, too, it seems... and I'm allergic... so I have to play a game of polite shooing... or pet them until they go away then rush to wash my hands so I don't rub my nose and go into a sneezing fit...

Beste | 1163 comments Iain wrote: "I feel for Lynch and his dislike of cats... they love me, too, it seems... and I'm allergic... so I have to play a game of polite shooing... or pet them until they go away then rush to wash my hand..."

Then you would be allergic to me too.. I have two and they sit and sleep with me when I'm home :) :) Mines are persian cats, the ones from Godfather if you watched :) :)

Zaara | 4267 comments Niiiiiice Godfather riff, Beste.
#ouch
I am (very slowly) beginning to see why you didn't like being nicknamed after a Disney princess + deffo Lyrna over Arista and Shereen, nein?
Altho' have you read Elantris or Farseer? You may (dis)like Kettricken and Sarene a bit more.
And Beste...(view spoiler)

Buuuuut....you can't be all secretive abt their names n all...my brother/sis in law have a kitten name Bruce. But I travel so much it would be downright unfair to own a pet. My best mate's puppy and Bruce pretty much live with me whenever I'm arnd tho.

Reading update: 1.25x speed...one hour thru. I'm beginning to see how "normal speed" would seem like treacle going uphill to the ppl who do this all the time.
I have no idea now abt the chapter n all ok I vaguely remember the dude saying Chapter 2 nearabout when I stopped + cuz I just listen to it in the car and since I'm slightly panicked now abt the math, I will play it during my hour's yoga as well instead of the usual soothing calming...o wtf. There's nothing much to comment on a re-read....I'm just realising except I like the Sinspire + I know what's coming, suckas and none of you got a cloooooooooue....

Beste | 1163 comments Zaara wrote: "Niiiiiice Godfather riff, Beste.
#ouch
I am (very slowly) beginning to see why you didn't like being nicknamed after a Disney princess + deffo Lyrna over Arista and Shereen, nein?
Altho' have you r..."

My boys name is Honey because of the color of his eyes( how creative of me) (pronounced as hani in turkish and it means 'where') (view spoiler)and the girls name is Hera (my mother named her, she loves Greek myths).

(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Beste wrote: "Iain wrote: "I feel for Lynch and his dislike of cats... they love me, too, it seems... and I'm allergic... so I have to play a game of polite shooing... or pet them until they go away then rush to..."

I have 4 right now, and 2 dogs. My allergic cousin can't come into our house, even heavily drugged, without her face turning red within minutes.

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments My cat allergies aren't too bad... sunflowers pollen and poison oak cause me to swell up, tho...

Good thing, since my family didn't do much to protect me as a kid... I just had to deal...

Beste | 1163 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Beste wrote: "Iain wrote: "I feel for Lynch and his dislike of cats... they love me, too, it seems... and I'm allergic... so I have to play a game of polite shooing... or pet them until they go awa..."

So it bloody rains on you! You lucky pirate:)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Beste wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Beste wrote: "Iain wrote: "I feel for Lynch and his dislike of cats... they love me, too, it seems... and I'm allergic... so I have to play a game of polite shooing... or..."

Arr ;-)

Trying to sleep comfortably in my bed is impossible. And the kids (5 and 2) always manage to sneak in at night. So there's always at least 2 adults, a kid, and 2 dogs (about 65-75lb each) in the bed, and on really fun nights there's 2 adults, 2 dogs, 2 kids, and maybe a cat in there. It's king size but that's def not enough.

message 39: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments ^ i know that sounds uncomfortable but that also sounds adorable

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Sha wrote: "^ i know that sounds uncomfortable but that also sounds adorable"

It's def warm. Great for the winter :-) My 9 year old pit bull is my heating blanket. He's my little spoon when we sleep and I don't know how I could ever sleep without hugging him.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I missed this series. It's so enjoyable. I think I'm at the end of chapter ? (I have no idea what chapter I'm at. 2.5 hrs in on audio) where [spoilers removed]"

Hehe that's a nice oxymoron! XD

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Sorry I've been quite quiet. I've just finished chapter 4, and I'm feeling quite slumpy with it. It's just not grabbing me. I'm persevering though, as I know I love the characters and do want to know what they'll do next.

I too love the lame jokes! The cheesier the better haha.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Siobhan wrote: "Sorry I've been quite quiet. I've just finished chapter 4, and I'm feeling quite slumpy with it. It's just not grabbing me. I'm persevering though, as I know I love the characters and do want to kn..."

Aw bummer. I think the lame jokes is what really grabbed me. I'm about 43% in right now and really enjoying it.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I'm glad! :) I do enjoy it when I'm reading, but I'm finding myself doing other things instead of picking it up to read.

Shaitarn | 1930 comments Finally finished Gardens of the Moon and can devote myself to this! *rubs hands together gleefully*

Sarah | 494 comments My hold came through this morning- yay!
Hoping to get a started this weekend.

Zaara | 4267 comments Wow, excellent! So many people are here to be END OF BOOK SPOILER DO NOT OPEN THIS IS A PRESENT FOR YOU WHEN YOU FINISH (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Start of Reminiscence 3 (page 105)

Locke seems to have a knack of getting himself in deeper sh*t. Exciting!

(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Barry wrote: "Start of Reminiscence 3 (page 105) ....."

I too am still eagerly waiting for the answers to #3. I'm about 60% through the book.

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments Zaara wrote: "Wow, excellent! So many people are here to be END OF BOOK SPOILER DO NOT OPEN THIS IS A PRESENT FOR YOU WHEN YOU FINISH [spoilers removed]"

I got a laugh out of that...

« previous 1 3