Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

If You Want To Hoot With The Owls, You Have To Scream With The Eagles
Book Discussions > pain in the ass.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arthur (new) - added it

Arthur Willhelm (arthurjwillhelm) | 4 comments I am finding it really tough to promote my book. i honestly do not have disposable income to just dish out absurd amounts of money for reviews or promotion. any tips? I just want people to read my work, and hopefully appreciate it.
thank you very much.

message 2: by M.F. (new)

M.F. Hopkins | 30 comments A lot of us are in the same drifting boat. lol

message 3: by Faye (new)

Faye Belle | 2 comments Hi all,

My debut has been on sale for about 3 weeks and luckily sales are where I expected, but I’m looking to push it harder in 2018 so am looking forward to see what suggestions people have for marketing or what worked for them!

Ps I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Harju (pamelaharju) | 5 comments I wish I knew. I have spent some money on promotion, but some companies ask for ridiculous amounts of money that I just don't have. I'm about to publish my second book, and people say having more books out is the best marketing tool you have, so I hope they're right.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 124 comments Nothing I have done has sold books. I don’t have spare money for promo. I’ve done some cheap things and frankly I may as well just set fire to the cash. If I’d even seen one book sold it might have been worth it. I’ll be trying to appear on blogs for my third book.

message 6: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1233 comments Mod
Amazon has made it harder than ever to get reviews. I always feel that getting your book written up by some of the reader's blogs (if your genre matches) helps. Try The Long and Short Review,Reader's Favorite, Reader's Views, There are more- I don't remember the names, but if you Google my son's books and look at the blogs-( It's been a while since I sent out books.) most of them reviewed for free and that helped a lot.
Google your genre and review blogs and see if that helps.

message 7: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) | 189 comments I have long lists of reviewers that might help get you started, one is of Young Adult bloggers and the other is Science fiction.
Here is my email address editor@glyphus.com send me an email and I will send you my lists.

message 8: by William (new)

William Morgenstein (httpswwwthecrazylifeofbillcom) | 53 comments Unless you are a famous personality it takes very hard work to promote your book. Most promotions are costly and since the royalties are small if you are self publishing they are almost always a losing proposition. I have had moderate success with Amazon ads but even that takes constant reviewing and revising. (See B Meeks "Mastering Amazon Ads). I recently had a call from a fast talking Wordstream rep. He walked me through an impressive presentation at the end of which he sent me a contract for $99.00 per month (plus the cost of the Facebook ads) He pressured me for my immediate signature. I asked how long before I would receive results covering the costs and when could I opt out if I didn't like the results? He said I could opt out any time. I then explained that verbal contracts were useless and the written contract clearly shows NO REFUNDS allowed. His brilliant answer was "that if you join a gym that they don't guarantee results either".
Anyway to Arthur. You might try visiting libraries and bookstores and ask to make a presentation with them allowing sales of your book, or contact clubs that might be interested in your presentation. Best of luck and Happy New Year to all.

message 9: by Arthur (new) - added it

Arthur Willhelm (arthurjwillhelm) | 4 comments Amy wrote: "Nothing I have done has sold books. I don’t have spare money for promo. I’ve done some cheap things and frankly I may as well just set fire to the cash. If I’d even seen one book sold it might have..."

It is very frustrating!

message 10: by C. (new)

C. Gold | 62 comments Arthur wrote: "I am finding it really tough to promote my book. i honestly do not have disposable income to just dish out absurd amounts of money for reviews or promotion. any tips? I just want people to read my ..."

Poetry is a tough sell and it might be even tougher when you use profanity and stalker sexual innuendo. Everyone and their half brother self publishes poetry and short stories, so you need to find ways to make your work stand out from the crowd (cover, blurb, Look Inside). Or stop trying to sell poems and work on longer fiction if you need to make money. Books in a series are your best bet if you can stomach writing to market.

Your links don't seem to work from your Goodreads to Amazon. Two of your books are unavailable on Amazon and the Owl one is only available as a 9 dollar paperback. No ebook version. That's going to be a tough sell in that market. I didn't check the other stores.

My only other thought is to try and find people in social media who like your style of poetry and try to sell it to them.

Good luck!

message 11: by Arthur (new) - added it

Arthur Willhelm (arthurjwillhelm) | 4 comments Thank you for your feedback, I will get the book in ebook format. The hardcover will be on Amazon soon, and I retired hate mail. Http://www.lulu.com/ajwillhelm is my primary place where my books are sold.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread