Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Cutthroat Book Club > Bat'leth

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 11, 2018 11:13PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
Bat'leth

"No weapon strikes more fear into a man's heart than a klingon bat'leth"
-Sheldon, The Big Bang Theory

Amy Mathew (Captain)
Joanne (Co-Captain)
Brittany McCann
Sara Henderson
Maddy
Lucy Porter
Erin Davis
Marissa
Donna Flynn
Sophie

*** Kya Bell

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by Minx (last edited Dec 30, 2017 09:59AM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments About this Challenge:

🔪 I have cases of $25,000 of cold, hard cash in this case. Each team gets one case. If they want to leave this book club with any of the cash, they have to survive four reading challenges - and each other - in a game where sabotage is not only encouraged, it's for sale. It's a game we like to call "Cutthroat Book Club."
🔪 This challenge is for fun. It is not fair. Expect that something really unfair will happen to your team at some point. It's ok. You can do unfair things to other teams.
🔪 Starts on January 1, 2018, and runs for 8 weeks
🔪 Each reading challenge will last 2 weeks.
🔪 Books must be more than 160 pages in length. Children's books, Graphic Novels, Cookbooks and Poetry books cannot be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 160 pages.
🔪 Only books read during the specified challenge can be used (“read date” is what counts, not the day you start.) Books cannot be “banked” from previous weeks to used later.
🔪 Books must be started after the start date of the challenge to count towards the challenge.
🔪 You should create a new shelf to store your read books for this challenge. 

Rules 
🔪 You can spy on other teams. It's fine, encouraged even.
we do want to keep an eye on things. We might even offer advice.

Reading Goals 
🔪 Each reading challenge round, the teams will be assigned a list of reading goals. (i.e. Read a book that starts with an A, Read a book with a cat, Read a book that challenges the laws of physics, etc.)
🔪 Goals will have a certain dollar amount associated with them based on difficulty.
🔪 Each goal may only be filled once.
🔪 Books cannot be carried from one round to the next. Use it or lose it.
🔪 There will be more reading goals than a team can complete in 2 weeks.

Sabotages 
🔪 Multiple times during each round, sabotages will be offered to be bid on.
🔪 The bids will be open for 12 hours and any authorized member of the team can bid money on the sabotage.
🔪 Authorized members are decided by the team captain.
🔪 Bids are final.
🔪 The winner of the sabotage will have the final bid amount deducted from their current money and win the sabotage.
🔪 Some sabotages will be benefits to the current team. Some will be detrements that you can assign to any other team.
🔪 Upon assigning a sabotage, the team recieving it must immediatly enforce it. Any books that have not been assigned to a specific reading goal are now under the influence of the sabotage whether you have finished them before the sabotage went into affect or not.
🔪 Sabotages reset at the end of each reading challenge. Beware of payback.
🔪 If a sabotage is not bid on by anyone, it is discarded.

How to win
🔪 At the end of each round, money earned from reading challenges are added to the team's total money that can be used for bidding.
🔪 The winner of Cutthroat Book Club will be the person with the most money at the end. This will be us, just fyi :D

message 7: by Minx (last edited Jan 15, 2018 06:13AM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Shelves:

⚔️ Minx - Cutthroat Bookclub
⚔️ Joanne - Bat’leth
🔪 Brittany - Cutthroat
🔪 Sara - Cutthroat Book Club
🔪 Maddy - Bookclub Challenge
🔪 Lucy - Cutthroat
🔪 Erin - Cut Throat
🔪 Marissa - Cutthroat Book Club
🔪 Donna - CutthroatBookclub2018
🔪 Sophie - Cutthroat Bookclub

message 8: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Reserved

message 9: by Minx (new)

message 10: by Minx (new)

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3220 comments Reserved

message 12: by Joanne (new)

message 13: by Joanne (new)

message 14: by Sarai (new)

Sarai Henderson (udjb1984) | 1 comments Wahoo!!!!

message 15: by Joanne (last edited Dec 29, 2017 08:32AM) (new)

Joanne | 3220 comments I'm here!!!! Can't we start now? LOL

Just kidding, I'm actually reading the fifth Dark Tower book Wolves of the Calla right now (which is 900+ pages) both to keep me occupied, and also because when I do team challenges, I don't like to get bogged down in door-stoppers.

Housekeeping
Everyone needs a shelf made specifically for this challenge. It doesn't matter what you call it.

Please post a link to your shelf here so Minx and I can keep track of them.

My shelf is bat'leth

message 16: by Joanne (last edited Dec 27, 2017 08:21PM) (new)

Joanne | 3220 comments Also I just reread the rules and I think this is going to be so much fun!

description

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Here is my shelf Donna's shelf

message 18: by Maddy (last edited Dec 28, 2017 05:53AM) (new)

Maddy | 2032 comments Thanks for reminder, Minx ;)
So. Your weirdest player is here! Yay me! :D
My shelf - Bookclub challenge

Let the blood flow!!!
description

message 19: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Maddy wrote: "Thanks for reminder, Minx ;)

Let the blood flow!!!
"

Oh Maddy, I love your sense of humor so much!!

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin **Coffee and Book Addict** (coffeebookaddict) | 2 comments Awesome! My shelf is called cut throat. :) lets do this.

message 21: by Maddy (last edited Dec 28, 2017 06:33AM) (new)

Maddy | 2032 comments Minx -The Genre Minx wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Thanks for reminder, Minx ;)

Let the blood flow!!!
"

Oh Maddy, I love your sense of humor so much!!"

For some it is bad attitude, for some a sense of humor, I am never sure :D
One down, a few more to corrupt!

description

message 22: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Maddy wrote: "Minx -The Genre Minx wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Thanks for reminder, Minx ;)

Let the blood flow!!!
"

Oh Maddy, I love your ..."

ha ha ha, your GIF is all wonky, you might want to fix that....ha ha ha

message 23: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2032 comments Minx -The Genre Minx wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Minx -The Genre Minx wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Thanks for reminder, Minx ;)

Let the blood flow!!!
"

Oh Maddy..."

If only my wonkiness could be fixed as fast as goodread's image :D

message 24: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Super excited!

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Here is my CutThroat Shelf

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments What is our official start date for reading and does this challenge go by just finish date or both finish and start date? Just want to make sure I don't violate any rules, since I routinely place books on my "currently reading" so I know which ones to read next and then update with REAL dates read

message 27: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Brittany wrote: "What is our official start date for reading and does this challenge go by just finish date or both finish and start date? Just want to make sure I don't violate any rules, since I routinely place b..."

Official start date: Starts on January 1, 2018, and runs for 8 weeks
The books must be started after we receive our tasks and must be 160 pages minimum. Maybe add books to cutthroat shelf but keep them as want to read, or create a temp shelf to hold your cutthroat want to reads?

message 28: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments ok and we don't get our tasks until then, correct?

message 29: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Brittany wrote: "ok and we don't get our tasks until then, correct?"

correct for now, but they might give our tasks early to ease into it BUT we can't start the books until 01/01/18. Will know more hopefully tomorrow as that is when they are hoping to have all the rules etc posted.

message 30: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Minx -The Genre Minx wrote: "Brittany wrote: "ok and we don't get our tasks until then, correct?"

correct for now, but they might give our tasks early to ease into it BUT we can't start the books until 01/01/18. Will know mor..."

Sounds good. I have been beefing up my POFM list to show all books I own that I need to read so I can hopefully do quick searches from work to find stuff I can start

message 31: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 140 comments I can't wait to start this :) Only a few more days!

message 32: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Marissa wrote: "I can't wait to start this :) Only a few more days!"

I am with you! I can't wait to see the tasks!!

message 33: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3220 comments Minx (and everyone) have you seen this?

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

We need to be really careful.

message 34: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Joanne - is from Canada wrote: "Minx (and everyone) have you seen this?

We need to be really careful."

OMG! This is nothing like I've ever done before, lol....doh!

message 35: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2032 comments Joanne - is from Canada wrote: "Minx (and everyone) have you seen this?

We need to be really careful."

Oh my...I am sooo not ready for that :D

message 36: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Just FYI, there is going to be a countdown clock available soon, so no reading (for this challenge) until its time. I will post the clock here once the link is available. :D

message 37: by Minx (last edited Dec 30, 2017 02:56PM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments The game official starts on 01/01/18 at 12:00am CST. Here is a time zone converter so you can figure out what that means for your time zone. :D

time zone converter

message 38: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Minx -The Genre Minx wrote: "The game official starts on 01/01/18 at 12:00am CST. Here is a time zone converter so you can figure out what that means for your time zone. :D

time zone converter"

Thank you! I am already in CST woo hoo

message 39: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Did everyone join the companion website yet?

message 40: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments In case you are wondering what Brittany is referring to, it was in the pre-chat thread:

Everyone, it's time to join the companion website!

https://cutthroatbookclub.azurewebsit...

Click the login in the upper right corner. Make an account.

Once you have an account you can click the 3 dots button in the upper left corner and click profile. Add your goodreads ID and name.

Once you do that the mods can assign you to your team.

This website is where books get logged, where you can see sabotages (and bid if your authorized), you can also view all the other teams. (Wooden Sword is the mod test team, don't worry about that one.)

There are still some new things getting added so don't be surprised if things show up. Please let us know if you have technical issues and we'll get them worked out. We believe login isn't working correctly from iPads right now so if you're having trouble try a computer.

message 41: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Brittany wrote: "Minx -The Genre Minx wrote: "The game official starts on 01/01/18 at 12:00am CST. Here is a time zone converter so you can figure out what that means for your time zone. :D

time zone converter"

T..."

lol, yeah me too :D But I am in a different part of Texas than you

message 42: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments It IS a big state haha! Are you originally from Texas?

message 43: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments nope, lived in San Antonio for a few years, then to NY, now in Frisco.... we move about every 2-3 years.

message 44: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Yeah me neither! Was just curious

message 45: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Brittany wrote: "Did everyone join the companion website yet?"

All done.

message 46: by Minx (last edited Dec 31, 2017 02:57PM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments TASKS ARE UP! Just go to the companion site and the tasks are there under add books :D!!! We can't start reading yet but we can see the tasks.

You can see them even if you're not logged in by going to the rankings page and clicking view on a team. (per the mods). I am logged in so I see them on the add books page.

message 47: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Minx -The Genre Minx wrote: "TASKS ARE UP! Just go to the companion site and the tasks are there under add books :D!!! We can't start reading yet but we can see the tasks.

You can see them even if you're not logged in by goin..."

YAY

message 48: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Do we need to start claiming tasks or can we read for a task more than once. I was confused on this in the rules

message 49: by Brittany (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 615 comments Why does Team Wooden Sword have more points?

message 50: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Brittany wrote: "Why does Team Wooden Sword have more points?"

Wooden sword is the "dummy" team for practice, just ignore that one.

Once task is claimed it is over.

« previous 1