Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Cutthroat Book Club > Longclaw

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 26, 2018 09:03PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
Longclaw

"It's my father's sword, and his father before him. The Mormonts have carried it for five centuries. It was meant for my son, Jorah. He brought dishonor to our House... but he had the grace to leave the sword before he fled from Westeros."

SandyL (Captain)
Apoorv (Co-Captain)
maria helena
Kim Anderson
Amanda A
Anita
Jamie
Alison (Lady Coffin)
Brandy_Stover
Mandiann
Wendy
Carrie
Iana
Caroline

*** Cassandra
*** Raynbow

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Res

message 7: by SandyL (last edited Dec 30, 2017 01:17PM) (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Cutthroat Book Club
Most people try to be good at Christmas, but this year we're feeling naughty. Do you have what it takes to join Cutthroat Book Club?

About this Challenge
🔪 I have cases of $25,000 of cold, hard cash in this case. Each team gets one case. If they want to leave this book club with any of the cash, they have to survive four reading challenges - and each other - in a game where sabotage is not only encouraged, it's for sale. It's a game we like to call "Cutthroat Book Club."
🔪 This challenge is for fun. It is not fair. Expect that something really unfair will happen to your team at some point. It's ok. You can do unfair things to other teams.
🔪 Starts on January 1, 2018, and runs for 8 weeks
🔪 Each reading challenge will last 2 weeks.
🔪 Books must be more than 160 pages in length. Children's books, Graphic Novels, Cookbooks and Poetry books cannot be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 160 pages.
🔪 Only books read during the specified challenge can be used (“read date” is what counts, not the day you start.) Books cannot be “banked” from previous weeks to used later.
🔪 Books must be started after the start date of the challenge to count towards the challenge.
🔪 You should create a new shelf to store your read books for this challenge.

message 8: by SandyL (last edited Dec 30, 2017 01:20PM) (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Rules

🔪 You can spy on other teams. It's fine, encouraged even.
🔪 You can also set up private groups or external means of communication to prevent or limit spying. If you do, please invite the moderator account to your group. We will not share your data but we do want to keep an eye on things. We might even offer advice.

Reading Goals
🔪 Each reading challenge round, the teams will be assigned a list of reading goals. (i.e. Read a book that starts with an A, Read a book with a cat, Read a book that challenges the laws of physics, etc.)
🔪 Goals will have a certain dollar amount associated with them based on difficulty.
🔪 Each goal may only be filled once.
🔪 Books cannot be carried from one round to the next. Use it or lose it.
🔪 There will be more reading goals than a team can complete in 2 weeks.

Sabotages
🔪 Multiple times during each round, sabotages will be offered to be bid on.
🔪 The bids will be open for 12 hours and any authorized member of the team can bid money on the sabotage.
🔪 Authorized members are decided by the team captain.
🔪 Bids are final.
🔪 The winner of the sabotage will have the final bid amount deducted from their current money and win the sabotage.
🔪 Some sabotages will be benefits to the current team. Some will be detrements that you can assign to any other team.
🔪 Upon assigning a sabotage, the team recieving it must immediatly enforce it. Any books that have not been assigned to a specific reading goal are now under the influence of the sabotage whether you have finished them before the sabotage went into affect or not.
🔪 Sabotages reset at the end of each reading challenge. Beware of payback.
🔪 If a sabotage is not bid on by anyone, it is discarded.

How to win
🔪 At the end of each round, money earned from reading challenges are added to the team's total money that can be used for bidding.
🔪 The winner of Cutthroat Book Club will be the person with the most money at the end.

Example
For demonstration purposes only. May not represent actual gameplay.

There are 3 teams. The Dogs, The Cats and The Birds.

Start of Game
The Dogs - $25,000
The Cats - $25,000
The Birds - $25,000

Round 1
Task List
🔪 Read a book with a title starting with Q - $100
🔪 Read a book written in 2000 - $50
🔪 Read a book that's title is an anagram - $200
🔪 Read a book that contains a Q-tip - $350
🔪 Read a book with a title starting with A - $25

The Dogs - Appy a book to "read a book with a title starting with A."
The Cats - Apply a book to "read a book with a title starting with Q."
The Birds - Read Animal Farm but don't apply it yet.

Sabotage Auction!
Sabotage up for auction: No other team may read a book whose title starts with the letter A.
The Birds bid $50.
The Cats bid $100.
Time runs out.
The Cats win!
The Birds can no longer use Animal Farm for any task since it starts with A. The Dogs can keep their points for "read a book with a title starting with A" but cannot apply any other books starting with A to any other tasks.

Additional reading and sabotages happen

Round 1 ends
The Dogs have read $375 in goals.
The Cats have read $450 in goals.
The Birds have read $200 in goals.

All remaining read books are discarded.

The Dogs - $25,375
The Cats - $25,350.
The Birds - $25,200.

Round 2
Round 2 starts fresh with no sabotages and new goals.

Basically, you'll get a big list of tasks to do for your team.
You guys read as super fast as you can to meet those tasks.
If you read a book that works for one you can apply it right away. Once you set a read book to a task then it's locked in and sabotages won't affect it.
If you choose to hold off to potentially have more options of where to put things based on what people read, you run the risk of someone sabotaging you and making it so you can't apply certain books you may have read.

Essentially, as long as you log the book to a task then it's safe from sabotages. If you haven't logged it yet, even if it's been read and finished, a sabotage will affect it.

Just as a heads up (and a clarification on how things will work).

Books you submit will be tagged with any sabotages active on your team at the time you submit them. It's your job to make sure the book complies with the sabotages you have.

If you make a mistake. Send a PM to the mod account ASAP! If we notice, or another team notices before you send the PM, you'll be fined $300 and it will be removed from your task list.

If you notice another team has violated their sabotage, send a PM to the mod account so they'll get fined if they haven't already contacted us.

We reserve the right to not fine you if we feel it's really on the bubble of whether it applies but something simple like "Titles can't start with A" and then using the book Animal Farm will garner you no sympathy.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions on this. As a note, your income from tasks will be $25-$100 normally and potentially up to $250 for incredibly annoying tasks. So the fine is at least a few books and maybe more.

message 9: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments res

message 10: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments res

message 11: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Welcome fellow Longclaws!! This challenge should be interesting!

Please introduce yourselves and start asking questions. Not sure I have the answers yet, but will try to get them as soon as possible!

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 1223 comments Woooo! I've been lurking for two days waiting for our thread to be unlocked! Ha ha!

I'm Kim. I'm from the middle of a cornfield in Illinois, where it's currently snowing up a storm. I've got two kiddos (Joon, 17 and Mikey, 9) and 2.5 cats (I'm fostering one right now). I enjoy gaming, watching Big Brother, and running my own GR challenge group.

I'm super excited for an NBRC team challenge, but I have to admit that the idea of the whole bidding thing is giving me anxiety. Personally, I just want to read, so I'm going to go ahead and say that whatever the group decides as far as what to bid on and how much is super cool with me.

message 13: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments Hey team!! Wow Kim, that is an awesome introduction.

I am Mandiann, I'm Canadian. I have a 3.5 month old infant who keeps me busy and I work from home so my reading speed has certainly decreased this year compared to last year. Hopefully 2018 will mean more books than 2017 for me.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 1223 comments I guess we should disclaimer that Mandiann, Alison, and I are good friends. We started doing challenges on GR together a couple years back accidentally, and now it's rare that we go a day without texting each other to share every aspect of our lives. We don't even live in the same country, let alone the same state! I love Goodreads!

message 15: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 627 comments Hi team! I'm Amanda and I live in South Carolina. I work full time as an accountant and I have one spoiled Yorkie.

I enjoy watching Big Brother too, Kim. Celebrity Big Brother in February should be interesting.

message 16: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Hi Team
I'm Sandy, your captain. I live in the Los Angeles area, I'm divorced and have two spoiled fur-babies. I do taxes, so I'll be juggling this challenge with tax time - yikes, what was I thinking! I read mostly romance, but I will read other stuff if needed for a challenge. I think we have a wide range of interests in our reading preferences, though.

I think it's so great that you guys (@Kim, @Mandiann & Alison) have become such great friends through Goodreads - that's awesome and I'm sure it will be a benefit for our team.

I've set up our super secret group and I'll start inviting people as they check in here. You'll need to be able to check both groups, so if you use notifications make sure to do so for both.

Apoorv is our co-captain and he's out of town right, but will be available in the next couple of days.

message 17: by Apoorv (last edited Dec 29, 2017 06:30PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1070 comments description

Hey! How is everyone doing?!
I am Apoorv, and I currently live in Greater Boston Area in Massachusetts. I am on vacation in India as I type this, but I do hope to be back with my routine in MA sometime around mid-January. In the meantime, I should still be around, albeit sporadically, so I apologize in advance, if I am day or two behind.

But, either way, I am so excited about a new NBRC challenge! NBRC always has some of the most exciting team challenges, and I have had some of my best fun here, meeting amazing people and playing the most competitive challenges around, with loads of fun! (Did I say I have had fun before? :P)

I have shared challenges previously with Amanda A, Kim, Anita, and I have seen Mandiann, maria helena in other teams in similar challenges. So, I know some of you through my GoodReads travels, and I am excited to get acquanited to SandyL, Raynbow, Cassandra, Alison, Jamie, and Brandy as well.

GoodReads is all heart! I love this place so much, that I spend time on here even at work (shhhh! don't tell anyone! :P)

I hope to have loads of fun with this challenge, which really is very exciting and new, from all the other challenges I've been part of, over the years. So, I am all busy shining and sharpening my knives and scythes :P

So, WELCOME EVERYONE AND IT'S TIME TO HAVE FUN! :D
Yaaaaaay!

Challenge Shelf: Challenge-NBRC-CBC-Longclaw

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 911 comments Hi! All
I am Alison (the aforementioned)
I live in the foothills/Gold Country of California. I have loved being a part of Goodreads and the friendships it has brought to my life.
I do not have kids, and currently no pets (sob), but I do have a cold and am on codeine-laced cough meds so am feeling a bit loopy.
lol!!
anyhow.....
This looks like it will be a lot of crazy fun.

message 19: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1070 comments Also, first order of business!

Please create a separate challenge shelf in your respective profiles, and do check into the secret group that our wonderful captain SandyL has created, as soon as she sends across the access link to the same in the next few days.

Let's get all the required information in, so that we are ready the moment the light turns green on the challenge.

message 20: by Jamie (last edited Dec 29, 2017 07:11PM) (new)

Jamie | 334 comments Hi! I live in California (actually less than 2 hours from Alison it seems-used to live and have family in Grass Valley even!)
No kids but do have a wonderful husband and furry troublemakers lol.

message 21: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Hi Jamie
Will you accept my friend request so I can send you an invite to our secret group? Thanks!!!

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 334 comments Done! :)

message 23: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Thanks Jamie - you all have been invited. If you don't see an invitation, check your groups and at the top of your list of groups there will be an invitation.

message 24: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1762 comments Hi all,

I'm maria helena (or MH for short) and I live in Iceland. Looking forward to this challenge :-)

My shelf: NBRC

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 1223 comments Maria Helena, how did I not know you lived in Iceland? That's awesome and feels so exotic! Ha ha!

message 26: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1762 comments Kim wrote: "Maria Helena, how did I not know you lived in Iceland? That's awesome and feels so exotic! Ha ha!"

Last time we were on a challenge together I was probably living in the US :-) I moved back to Europe almost 2 years ago.

message 27: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments I hope to visit Iceland one day - it's on my long list of travel destinations!!!

message 28: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1762 comments SandyL wrote: "I hope to visit Iceland one day - it's on my long list of travel destinations!!!"

I'm obviously a bit biased since I live here, but it is a wonderful country and definitely worth a visit!

message 29: by Apoorv (last edited Dec 30, 2017 09:43PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1070 comments Yo peeps,

As we are getting reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally close to the challenge start time, we all need to do one very important thing!

Please read below, the message posted by Kelly, our mod, produced verbatim and SIGN UP! :D

Kelly's original post here!

------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone, it's time to join the companion website!

https://cutthroatbookclub.azurewebsit...

Click the login in the upper right corner. Make an account.

Once you have an account you can click the 3 dots button in the upper left corner and click profile. Add your goodreads ID and name.

Once you do that the mods can assign you to your team.

This website is where books get logged, where you can see sabotages (and bid if your authorized), you can also view all the other teams. (Wooden Sword is the mod test team, don't worry about that one.)

There are still some new things getting added so don't be surprised if things show up. Please let us know if you have technical issues and we'll get them worked out. We believe login isn't working correctly from iPads right now so if you're having trouble try a computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 1223 comments If anyone is struggling, I couldn't get Apoorv's link to work. But when I clicked on the link for Kelly's Original Post, there's a link there that works.

message 31: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1762 comments Also, if you are on a Mac, try Chrome instead of Safari.

message 32: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments I want to start digging and planning. When do we get to see tasks? Sorry, I am impatient.

message 33: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 1223 comments Everyone is impatient. There's a rumor we might see tasks today some time so we can get the hang of the website. But that's just a rumor from the Chat thread.

message 34: by Raynbow (new)

Raynbow | 14 comments I’m here! Hi, everyone!

message 35: by Raynbow (new)

Raynbow | 14 comments This is my first team challenge with NBRC... so please bear with me! I should do fine, but I know I’ll have a ton of questions. ;)

message 36: by Raynbow (new)

Raynbow | 14 comments An introduction... my name is Raynbow (you can call me Rayn)... I’m 28 years old and live in a little town called Wilsonville in Oregon. It’s basically nothing but country here, so reading is what I do to pass the time. I will read just about any and all genres, but my favorites are fantasy and thrillers. I’m still new to Goodreads and learning the ropes, but I’m super excited to start my first team challenge! :)

message 37: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Welcome Rayn - so glad you made it!! I'm sending an invite to our super secret group so check for it.

message 38: by Raynbow (new)

Raynbow | 14 comments I created my account for the website and everything... but I’m having issues with it letting me log in. So I’m gonna have to find a computer today so I can get logged in and add my Goodreads user ID, etc.

message 39: by Raynbow (new)

Raynbow | 14 comments SandyL wrote: "Welcome Rayn - so glad you made it!! I'm sending an invite to our super secret group so check for it."

Got it! And thank you!

message 40: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 1677 comments I seriously don't know how I could miss seeing the threads were up. Sorry for the late check in. Happy New Year to you all.

message 41: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 1677 comments Also - I'm Anita and I'm from Denmark, I'm 31 and am just about to get out of a book slump. I hope this challenge will help with that. :)

message 42: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Yay - you made it Anita!!! I'm sending you an invite to our secret group.

message 43: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (brandy_what_a_fine_girl) | 1 comments Hi, friends! My name is Brandy and I live in the Buckeye state! Can I get an O-H-I-O!!! I'm a petite (a whopping 4ft 8in tall), sassy, social butterfly and a country girl at heart! I have always loved to read; a love I share with my 89 year old Grandmother. ❤️

message 44: by Raynbow (new)

Raynbow | 14 comments Hi, Anita and Brandy! :)

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 911 comments Hi all!

So does that leave us just missing Cassandra?

message 46: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4397 comments Yes - hopefully she checks in soon!

message 47: by Mandiann (last edited Jan 01, 2018 05:47PM) (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments Hello Everyone! Nice to have you on the team!

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 911 comments SandyL wrote: "Yes - hopefully she checks in soon!"

Cool!
At least everyone else has found their way.
:-)

message 49: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Please welcome your new team members:

Wendy
Carrie

message 50: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1070 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Please welcome your new team members:

Wendy
Carrie"

Yaaay! Welcome Wendy and Carrie!
Do drop in a post and check-in, so that we can get you added to our secret group and rolling into the fun challenge! :)

« previous 1