Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod
Sting

“I will give you a name,” he said to it, “and I shall call you Sting.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

“Let go! Gollum,' he said. 'This is Sting. You have seen it before once upon a time. Let go, or you'll feel it this time! I'll cut your throat”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

Nikk (Captain)
Poongothai (Co-Captain)
Deanna (Co-Captain)
Lisa - Aussie Girl
Kirby
Elise F
Brandy
Sunshine
Bethany
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
Gemma
Maritza
Sallie Winship
Rebecca

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2731 comments Reserved

message 12: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2731 comments Reserved

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2731 comments Welcome all to the Cutthroat Book Club challenge!

I'm Deanna, one of your co-captains, and I live in Virginia, USA. I read mostly fantasy, mystery, romance, and some young adult fiction; but also dabble in other genres as the mood strikes me. I'm really looking forward to this challenge!

Nikk, our captain, has set up a private group where we can talk strategy, so you'll get an invite when you check in. Also don't forget to create a shelf for the challenge and post the link for the captains. Feel free to post any questions as well.

My shelf cutthroat-bookclub

message 14: by Bety (new)

Bety (betyplusbooks) | 211 comments Hello all! I'm Bethany. I primarily read fantasy and sci-fi, with a healthy sprinkle of other genres mixed in. I have a stack of Christmas gift books ready for reading, some veeeery long and some barely hitting the page requirement. I'm itching to get started!

message 15: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (fantasyfan101) | 167 comments Hi all. I am Brandy. I live in Central Indian where it is currently snowing. Again. But it makes for great reading weather.

I read a lot of fantasy, YA, and whatever I can get from my hold list on Overdrive. I also really like historical fiction and have been reading several mystery and Sherlock Holmes type books lately.

I’m looking forward to this challenge. I’m not a very aggressive person but I am flexible and I read at a consistent pace so hopefully I can be of some help.

My shelf https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 16: by Mary C (last edited Dec 29, 2017 12:04PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4960 comments Yeah! I've dying waiting for them to open the team threads.

I've already started ear-marking books for this based on what I have on hand and making notes on settings and other things that might be a category.

I read pretty much anything but straight out erotica, Christian fiction or anything overly chick-lit.

I'm normally good for one book a week, however, during team challenges I can often get 2 in, sometimes 3. They motivate me to read instead of watching tv or something.

message 17: by Mary C (last edited Dec 29, 2017 12:05PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4960 comments Just an FYI, I have a trade show to do for work the first weekend of this challenge and I may not be on much. I will try to check in during that time but I probably won't get much read that weekend. My boyfriend is in to audio books, so I'll try to line one up that works for a couple of different tasks. Although it's only a 90 minute drive each way, that's 3 hours of potential audio book time. Plus I'll have my Kindle with me.

Also, I'm in Massachusetts, so EST. I tend to be on more during the day since I work on a computer all day. But I'll try to be good about marking books read asap and posting them to the team challenge.

message 18: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 803 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Yeah! I've dying waiting for them to open the team threads. "

What she said...

I'm Sunshine and live in Chicago. I'll read anything and lean mostly toward erotic romance. I tend to stay away from paranormal, but for a challenge I'll read anything.

My shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 19: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2731 comments Welcome Bethany, Brandy, and Mary! I've sent you all messages with a link to the private group.

message 20: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2731 comments Welcome Sunshine! You've got mail!

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca  (radf) | 664 comments Hello Everyone, my name is Rebecca. This is my first group challenge so please bear with me!

I’m a very eclectic reader so one moment I might be reading the sappiest romance ever and the next moment I might be devouring blood, guts & gore. I mostly read romance, crime, murder mystery, cozy mystery and both non-fiction history & historical fiction. I guess the only genre I don’t care for is science fiction. I usually read 2-4 books a week.

I’m a HUGE fan of the Chicago Cubs so this challenge is going to help me fill time until the new season starts. I also work 40-50 hours a week and commute about 3 hours a day-ugh. I’m not a big fan of audio books but might have to listen to some for this challenge to supplement my contribution.

I’ve been stalking this group anxious for the challenge to start! I look forward to being a teammate with all of you!

Here’s to happy reading & sabotage! 🍺

I’ll have to add my shelf for this group later but I think I named it Cuthroat challenge.

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca  (radf) | 664 comments I named my shelf cutthroat-book-challenge.

Two questions:

1. How do I find the link for that shelf?

2. Can we use audio books for the challenge?

message 23: by Bety (new)

Bety (betyplusbooks) | 211 comments Oh sorry! My shelf is here https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

And I'm in Colorado, so mountain time/ 2 hrs earlier than eastern time.

message 24: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2731 comments Rebecca F. (Nightengale) wrote: "I named my shelf cutthroat-book-challenge.

Two questions:

Go to My Books in the Goodreads browser. In the left hand column right click the mouse on your bookshelf and select something like copy shortcut or copy link address (depending on the broswer). Then go to the group thread right click in the comment box and select paste. Then just post the comment.

If you're using a tablet, replace right click the mouse with press and hold to access the copy and paste features.

2. Can we use audio books for the challenge?"

Audio books should be fine, but I'll double check with the mods.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Good morning! Welcome to team Sting! My name is Nikk. I have been on NBRC for a few years now but this is only my second challenge as team captain.

I am from Sydney Australia and whilst I am a bit of an eclectic reader generally i have recently been in a paranormal romance kick so been reading a lot of Nalini Singh, Thea harrison and Ilona Andrews lately.

My reading over the Christmas period as sadly been almost non existent ( something to do with being distracted by an almost 6 year old and a time kitten and may be a season or two of Marvel Agents of Shield... :-P) but I did manage 266 books over the course of 2017 and i am looking to top that next year. I also have a HUGE TBR so I am usually pretty flexible around the challenges and tasks I can do.

But we can talk more strategy later. In the mean time, please don't hesitate to let myself, Deanna or Poongothai know if you have any questions. And huge thanks to Deanna for getting everyone set up so far.

I can't wait to start! :-)

I

message 26: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) Hi team Sting! I'm Elise from Sydney and I have done quite a few challenges on NBRC over the last few years.
I read pretty widely across most genres and am a sucker for a book with a pretty cover.
Looking forward to starting this challenge - should be very different from all the previous ones!

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Welcome back Elise! :-)

message 28: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2731 comments Welcome Elise! I sent you a message with the link to Nikk's private group.

message 29: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) Got it :)
Book shelf is cutthroat2018

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Deanna wrote: "Rebecca F. (Nightengale) wrote: "I named my shelf cutthroat-book-challenge.

Two questions:

Go to My Books in the Goodreads browser. In the left hand col..."

Audiobooks are fine. Just use the pages from the default edition for anything you need to check on page numbers.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4977 comments Morning/Afternoon/Evening Everyone

Here's my shelf https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Love Challenges and especially the ones here at NBRC. I live in Sydney and we also have a dairy farm in southern NSW. Hello to those I've challenged with before and looking forward to getting to know some new players as well. I read anything and everything... even ads in the train and cereal packets if I'm desperate!

message 32: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2731 comments Welcome Lisa! You'll find an email with the link to our private group in your inbox.

message 33: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca  (radf) | 664 comments Rebecca F. (Nightengale) wrote: "Hello Everyone, my name is Rebecca. This is my first group challenge so please bear with me!

I’m a very eclectic reader so one moment I might be reading the sappiest romance ever and the next mom..."

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 34: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca  (radf) | 664 comments Kelly wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Rebecca F. (Nightengale) wrote: "I named my shelf cutthroat-book-challenge.

Two questions:

Go to My Books in the Goodreads browser. In th..."

Thanks Deanna! It worked perfectly. ;-D

message 35: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4960 comments I'm also an eclectic reader and am happy to cover non-fiction or classic or some weird categories. I tend to binge read in a certain category. Right now I'm in a contemporary romance and mystery mode but can easily get into something else.

I don't read much straight out erotica anymore and don't care for m/m romances.

message 36: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1857 comments Hi guys sorry about late check in was waiting for official word.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments all good. Glad you made it :-) sending you pm group invite now

message 39: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1857 comments Hi guys I live in NYC. Love team challenges and will read pretty much anything that is required to complete challenge. Its snowing and sòooooo cold here about to make soup. Sorry for late check in was waiting for thread to open.

message 40: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gembear) | 276 comments hey all. I'm in the Uk.. on my mobile at the moment so will read through everything and check in with you properly tomorrow :)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments no probs. I am sending you a pm with invite to private group

message 42: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1857 comments Nikk wrote: "all good. Glad you made it :-) sending you pm group invite now"

I don't see it

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Maritza wrote: "Nikk wrote: "all good. Glad you made it :-) sending you pm group invite now"

I don't see it"

is it in your notifications?

message 44: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4960 comments Maritza, I'm only a couple of hours from you. Cold and snowy here as well. I made risotto. I'm contemplating a hot bubble bath to finish a book before this starts.

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments Hi everyone...so sorry for the late check in.... I live in southern Illinois...Lawrenceville. About 50 miles NW of Evansville Indiana. I traveled home to Atlanta Georgia for Christmas & currently I’m in Lafayette Indiana visiting family for New Years. Traveling back to Illinois tomorrow so plenty of reading time coming up. I usually read everything except horror....I’m in central time zone

message 46: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2731 comments Welcome Sallie. I've sent you a pm with the link for our private griyp.

message 47: by Bety (new)

Bety (betyplusbooks) | 211 comments I finished my last two books of the year this morning and now I'm just like... What do I do for the next 12 hours??? The next books I want to read are long enough where I won't get done in the next 12 hours most likely. I guess I'll read a short story? Or a book that's shorter than the 160 page requirement?

message 48: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4960 comments I know I won't finish a book tomorrow. I can maybe do 2 a week between work and life. Maybe 3 if I pick shorter books and nothing comes up for me. But I already have a wake to go to Tuesday night and a friend to visit on Wed night.

message 49: by Bety (new)

Bety (betyplusbooks) | 211 comments I just don't want to start something now that tomorrow is getting in the way of books that will actually count toward the challenge. I don't expect to finish a book tomorrow... but maybe. I have the day off, so who knows?

message 50: by Kirby (new)

Kirby (kirbym) | 232 comments Hi! I'm out of the country until this evening! Sorry I haven't checked in yet. So so excited to get started with you all!

« previous 1