Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 27, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31351 comments Mod
Vorpal

I try to believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Count them, Alice:

1. There's a potion that can make you shrink.
2. And a cake that can make you grow.
3. Animals can talk.
4. Cats can disappear.
5. There is a place called Wonderland.
6. I can slay the Jabberwocky.

Megan (Captain)
Caitlyn
Amy Pasquale
Talia
Krissy
Emily
Kimberly
Dominique
Crystal

***Caroline
** Rafaela
** Danielle

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by megan (new)

megan | 1390 comments res

message 7: by megan (new)

message 8: by megan (new)

message 9: by megan (new)

megan | 1390 comments meow

message 10: by megan (new)

message 11: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Hi Vorpal! Looks like team threads are open so I'll jump right in and introduce myself.

First of all, super stoked to be on this team. Alice in Wonderland is my jam.

I'm Cait. I currently live in Florida but we're a Navy family so that will change before too long. I have 3 kids (8 years, 6 years, and 7 months) and 2 dogs (Peach and Jax). I work at my local humane society where I wear many hats (vet assistant, adoption counselor, transport driver, customer services, etc).

As far as my reading goes I read everything with a good summary but I tend to avoid romance and non-fiction as I have a hard time sitting through them.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and sabotaging with you!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 251 comments Cait S wrote: "Hi Vorpal! Looks like team threads are open so I'll jump right in and introduce myself.

First of all, super stoked to be on this team. Alice in Wonderland is my jam.

I'm Cait. I currently live in..."

Nice to virtually meet you, Cait! That sounds like a perfect full house, and a wonderful/fulfilling job to have. What breed of dogs are they?

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 251 comments Hi everyone! I am psyched for this challenge and to be a part of team Vorpal! The first day of the challenge can't get here soon enough.

My name is Amy, and I live in snowy Minnesota with my husband and our cat (Chuck) and our sheltie dog (Walter).

My favorite genres right now are fantasy, new adult, young adult, some historical fiction, and a little scattering of everything else inbetween.

I can't wait to start this challenge with you all!

message 14: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Amy wrote: Nice to virtually meet you, Cait! That sounds like a perfect full house, and a wonderful/fulfilling job to have. What breed of dogs are they?

Nice to mee you too! Another Midwest girl :D I'm originally from Wisconsin and I have a ton of family that live in Minnesota. I miss it up there SO much.

Peach is a Golden Retriever and Jax is a White Swiss Shepherd. Peach was a pre-deployment present from my husband 8 years ago and has been my best friend ever since. Jax is a pain in the butt...aka he's my husband's dog haha

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Team, Talia checking in! I just got married this past July and moved from Arizona to Michigan where my husband is from. I’m loving all the snow we are getting! My husband hates it, but I think it’s beautiful! Definitely a change from Phoenix. I’ve retired from my office job, so I’m anticipating having lots of time to read for this challenge.

My favorite genres are fantasy, YA fantasy, mysteries, thrillers, and I have really been enjoying historical fiction lately. I don’t really like romance or horror, and I’ve never tried westerns but I don’t think I would like them.

I had to google our team name. I really need to get around to reading Alice in Wonderland!

Looking forward to getting started!

message 16: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Talia wrote: "Hi Team, Talia checking in! I just got married this past July and moved from Arizona to Michigan where my husband is from. I’m loving all the snow we are getting! My husband hates it, but I think i..."

Hi Talia! Welcome! So far we've got two Midwesterners and one displaced and bitter about it Midwesterner ;)

Hopefully everyone else checks in soon! Quiet makes me nervous haha

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 251 comments Hi Talia! Congratulations on your recent marriage! I'm glad to hear you're liking the snow!! Although it can stink to drive in, I've always loved snowy weather when you can stay cozy inside with a good book.

message 18: by megan (new)

megan | 1390 comments Hello again everyone! Thank you all for messaging me back. I heard from everyone except Raphaela. I’m on the app at the moment, but later today I will add all the General challenge info to one of the reserved posts at the beginning of the topic.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Just making sure you guys saw the post in the Pre-Challenge Chat thread about joining the companion site for this challenge. Here is a link to the message in the chat thread that contains the link to the website: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 31, 2017 07:33AM) (new)

Oh my goodness, this waiting is torture! So while we're waiting, did anyone get any bookish gifts for Christmas?

One of my new sisters-in-law gave me the Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers which I absolutely love but didn't own yet. So that is a great addition to my library. I highly recommend them. Book 2 is the best!
A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) by Francine Rivers An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2) by Francine Rivers As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3) by Francine Rivers

I got several cute journals and a pen set as well. I was hinting to my hubby about those cute bookish pillows on Redbubble.com, but he missed the hint! LOL Oh well. I love seeing those pillows in bookstagram pics, so I will definitely be ordering some next year.

I'm pretty new to Instagram but I plan on being more active there in 2018. My handle is @taliasbrain. If any of you are on Instagram, please post your IDs so I can follow you!

message 21: by megan (new)

megan | 1390 comments Thanks so much for sharing the link Talia!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 251 comments I made my account for the companion site this morning, and a part of me thinks I should NOT have bookmarked it in my favorites list because now I'm going to be obsessively checking the countdown timer! ;) I can't wait to see our task list so I can start planning!

I'm going to add that series to my list! Thanks for the recommendation. Lol, I have so done that before where I think I make it obviously clear what I REALLY want my hubs to buy for a gift, but he usually likes to go off on his own and find me things I don't ask for.

This year I received Oathbringer for a gift and a The Name of the Wind shirt from Litographs!

I followed you on Insta, Talia!

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 251 comments This may be off topic, but do any of you have those moments where you're either falling asleep or just waking up, and you realize your dreaming is actually you continuing the story of whichever book you're currently reading? This happens to me every once in a while, and it happened again last night (probably because I'm furiously reading and trying to hit my 2017 challenge goal), so I woke up realizing I just made up chapters of the book I'm reading in my head, but I still have to ACTUALLY read chapters because the ones I make up probably don't count. :(

I've never asked anyone before if they've had those moments, but I'm hoping other bookworms can relate!!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "This year I received Oathbringer for a gift and a The Name of the Wind shirt from Litographs!

I followed you on Insta, Talia!"

Great, I followed you back! And I'm going to have to check out Litographs. Bookish clothes - nice!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "This may be off topic, but do any of you have those moments where you're either falling asleep or just waking up, and you realize your dreaming is actually you continuing the story of whichever boo..."

I'm surprised this has never happened to me with books because it happens sometimes when I'm watching a movie and falling asleep! But I have experienced something similar in the earlier days of the Game of Thrones tv show. I kept getting confused thinking some events had already happened in the show because I had read them in the books and envisioned the characters as the actors on the show. So then when I watched the show I was thinking, "Didn't I already see this?" So confusing! Glad they are past the books now on the show.

message 26: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments Hi, team! My name is Krissy. I just turned 36. We are currently stationed in Texas but my husband retires from the army soon and when he does we'll be moving to Missouri.

I've been with my husband for 19 years. We have 3 kids (G15, G8, B6). And a completely useless fat cat whose entire life consists of eating and sleeping. Her name is Angela but we all call her Kiki. Not sure how that happened.

I am a SAHM so I have a lot of free time and I'm always reading. I am a huge audiobook whore. Love them. I will read every genre and subgenre. Not a fan of anything super religious but other than that anything goes.

I've never played this before but hopefully I'll catch on quickly

message 27: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments Okay... I can't find the option to make an account on the other site

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Krissy wrote: "Okay... I can't find the option to make an account on the other site"

Welcome, Krissy! Some people were having problems using certain browsers, but it should work if you use Chrome. It should say Login in the top right corner.

message 29: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments I use chrome on my mobile. The only thing it shows is cutthroat book club at the top with a drop down box that has "current rankings" and "about" options. Under that is the countdown. That's it.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Krissy wrote: "I use chrome on my mobile. The only thing it shows is cutthroat book club at the top with a drop down box that has "current rankings" and "about" options. Under that is the countdown. That's it."

I tried it on my phone using Safari. I couldn’t see the Login until I turned my phone sideways to switch the screen to horizontal. Hopefully that will work!

message 31: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments Talia, that totally worked. Thanks! Weird that the log in option disappears when the phone is vertical

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Krissy wrote: "Talia, that totally worked. Thanks! Weird that the log in option disappears when the phone is vertical"

It's an oddity with google from what I know. I'm working on fixing it so people can log in in the future on iphones.

message 33: by megan (new)

megan | 1390 comments Thank you!

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy | 251 comments Krissy wrote: "Hi, team! My name is Krissy. I just turned 36. We are currently stationed in Texas but my husband retires from the army soon and when he does we'll be moving to Missouri.

I've been with my husban..."

Hi Krissy!! Nice to meet you. I love audiobooks, too! Do you have any favorites on audiobook that have nice narrators? I usually just borrow ones from my library that are available, but I hate when I get one where the narrator is hard to follow or just doesn't seem "right".

Do any of you have plans for ringing in the new year?!

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy | 251 comments Also, it looks like the reading tasks lists are out now and can be viewed by going to "Current Rankings" and then clicking the little icon under "View Team"!!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Also, it looks like the reading tasks lists are out now and can be viewed by going to "Current Rankings" and then clicking the little icon under "View Team"!!"

Great!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Hi Krissy!! Nice to meet you. I love audiobooks, too! Do you have any favorites on audiobook that have nice narrators? I usually just borrow ones from my library that are available, but I hate when I get one where the narrator is hard to follow or just doesn't seem "right".

Do any of you have plans for ringing in the new year?! ..."

I borrow audiobooks from the library too, and I agree about the narrator. I've had a few that I just couldn't get into because of the narrator's voice.

I'm home alone for New Year's Eve. My husband is a jazz musician, so he's playing at a party in Grand Rapids tonight. I'm more of a homebody, so I gave him his New Year's kiss a few minutes ago and sent him off while I settle in to Netflix and chill alone. I'll probably watch one of the countdown shows. I am curious to see how Mariah Carey performs this year after that debacle last year!

message 38: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments Amy, I am full of recs! If you're ever looking for something in a specific genre I'll have something for you.

For those of you that use your library overdrive for audiobooks I recommend also using the hoopla app. You log into it with your library card as well and they have a huge library of ebooks and audiobooks. I use it all the time

message 39: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments Quick questions:

What is the minimum page limit?

Is it one book per task or multiple tasks per book?

Once one player uses a task we can no longer use it, correct?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Krissy wrote: "Amy, I am full of recs! If you're ever looking for something in a specific genre I'll have something for you.

For those of you that use your library overdrive for audiobooks I recommend also usin..."

Oooh, thanks! I'll have to look into Hoopla!

message 41: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments One book per task. The book has to be locked in by the captains as used for a specific task before it counts. After it's been done, it's done.

160 page minimum.

message 42: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments We need a private group set up by the Captains at some point. If we plan out what we're doing on this thread, we'll be easy pickings for sabotages.

message 43: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments Thanks!

message 44: by megan (new)

megan | 1390 comments I’ll create a group for us when I can, but I won’t be able to until tomorrow night when I’m back on my computer. We are also waiting on a replacement for Rafaela.

message 45: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments I'm excited to get started! When can we officially start our first book?

message 46: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Krissy wrote: "I'm excited to get started! When can we officially start our first book?"

When the giant countdown on the front page of the teams' website hits 0. So as of now, 4 hours and 34 minutes.

message 47: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments At least I think so anyway lol

message 48: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments I wasn't sure if we go by the countdown or when it's midnight where we are

message 49: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Krissy wrote: "I wasn't sure if we go by the countdown or when it's midnight where we are"

No, it's the countdown because everyone needs to start at the same time and we're all in different timezones.

message 50: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 251 comments Awesome. Thanks for all the info :)

« previous 1 3