Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Emily's First Time Around the Year Plan 2018

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited May 11, 2018 05:25AM) (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments This will be my first year participating in the Around the Year challenge. I found out about this challenge through a book group on Facebook and decided to add it in with the Popsugar and Book Riot Read Harder challenges I will also be trying to complete. I'm going to try and plan this challenge and read in order, but no promises. So ready to start this! Let the reading commence!

The 2018 Plan

☑️1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Read: 1/8/2018
4/5 ⭐️

☑️2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Read: 1/12/2018
4/5 ⭐️

☑️3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Norse Mythology
Read: 1/27/2018
4/5 ⭐️

4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth
The Pillars of the Earth

☑️5. A book about or inspired by real events
Where My Body Ends and the World Begins
Read: 2/3/2018
4/5 ⭐️

6. A book originally written in a language other than English

7. A gothic novel
Jane Eyre

8. An "own voices" book

☑️9. A book with a body part in the title
The Queen of Hearts
Read: 3/4/2018
4/5 ⭐️

☑️10. An author's debut book
The Woman in the Window
Read: 1/15/2018
4/5 ⭐️

11. A literary fiction

12. A book set in Africa or South America

☑️13. A book with a plot centered around a secret
Blood Sisters
Read: 1/6/2018
4/5 ⭐️

14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
Fahrenheit 451

☑️15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Knockout
Read: 3/6/2018
4/5 ⭐️

16. A narrative nonfiction

17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Scrappy Little Nobody

18. A book with a location in the title

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand Master author

☑️20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
A Court of Wings and Ruin
Read:3/17/18
5/5 ⭐️

☑️21. A book written in first person perspective
Gun Love
Read: 4/5/2018
3/5 ⭐️

☑️22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
A Court of Thorns and Roses
Read: 2/12/2018
5/5 ⭐️

23. A medical or legal thriller

☑️24. A book with a map
A Court of Mist and Fury
Read: 3/4/2018
5/5 ⭐️

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
You

26. A book with a text only cover

27. A book about surviving a hardship

28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
Salt to the Sea

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title

30. A short book

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to

32. An alternate history book

33. A book connected to a word "born" in the same year as you

☑️34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call
Gator: My Life in Pinstripes
Read: 4/18/2018
3/5 ⭐️

☑️35. A book featuring a murder
Into the Black Nowhere
Read: 2/25/2018
5/5⭐️

36. A book published in the last three years by an author you haven't read before
Fates and Furies

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
The Essex Serpent

38. A science book or science fiction book
DNA Is Not Destiny: The Remarkable, Completely Misunderstood Relationship between You and Your Genes

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
I'll Give You the Sun

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list

☑️41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
A Land of Permanent Goodbyes
Read: 2/4/2018
4/5 ⭐️

42. A book that takes place on, in or underwater

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
I Capture the Castle

44. A ghost story

45. A book that intimidates/scares you

46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
The Name of the Wind

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion or sexual identity than your own
The Kite Runner

☑️48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins
Lies You Never Told Me
Read: 5/10/2018
4/5 ⭐️

49. A book from one of the Goodreads' Best Books of the Month lists

50. A book with a warm atmosphere

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection

☑️52. A book published in 2018
How to Walk Away
Read: 4/15/2018
5/5 ⭐️

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Finished my first book for the challenge yesterday. This was an unplanned book but it worked for the prompt. Plan to have the book for week 1 finished today!

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel | 162 comments The Forest of Hands and Teeth was good from what I remember (I read it back when I was in high school, I believe); hope you enjoy it! :)

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Mel wrote: "The Forest of Hands and Teeth was good from what I remember (I read it back when I was in high school, I believe); hope you enjoy it! :)"

Awesome! I've had this book on my to-read shelf for a long time now and when I was browsing a family members bookshelves, I found it and asked to borrow it! I'm just hoping it lives up to my expectations. 😊

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Week 1 book done. Will start the book for Week 2 tomorrow! 😊

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Currently four books out of 52 down!
Weeks 1, 2, 10 and 13
All of them have the rating of 4 out of 5 stars.
Plan to start Norse Mythology for Week 3 tonight or tomorrow. 😊

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Update: I have read 7 books out of the 52 for the challenge. Kind of hit a small slump, but hope to pick it up again now. Starting A Court of Thorns and Roses for Prompt 22 because I have wanted to read this book for so long now and I hear nothing but good reviews for it. I am also reading the book for an online book club and because I borrowed the second and third book in the series from the library. So excited! 😊

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments What a great progress, congrats! Reading in order isn't easy, I think a good thing to jump to anticipated books to get excited about reading again! We don't need to be crazy rigid after all...

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Sophie wrote: "What a great progress, congrats! Reading in order isn't easy, I think a good thing to jump to anticipated books to get excited about reading again! We don't need to be crazy rigid after all..."

Thanks Sophie! I wanted to do the weeks in order but I also read a lot of books for sites that I review, so I've been putting them in the challenge where they can fit. 😊 And yes, it definitely helps to get out of a slump by reading a book or series you are excited about. (That seems to happen to me a lot though... 😂)

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Unfortunately I haven't got much reading done this month but I had other things on my mind with the passing of my grandmother. Hopefully with giving myself time to grieve, I can work myself back into my reading. I did manage to complete two prompts and maybe can squeeze another one in before the end of the month.

message 11: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1305 comments Sorry about your Grandmother.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Anastasia wrote: "Sorry about your Grandmother."

Thank you Anastasia. It's definitely been hard but I'm also happy I got to spend a lot of time with her right before she passed.

message 13: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments So sorry to hear about your Grandma.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Jody wrote: "So sorry to hear about your Grandma."

Thank you Jody

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Update: I finished two books last night and was able to fit them in with the challenge. The Queen of Hearts for prompt 9 and A Court of Mist and Fury for prompt 24. Both were good reads and I have officially been Maas crushed by ACOMAF because this is my first time reading this series and any of her work (I know, I'm so behind). Will eventually start ACOWAR and fit it in the challenge as well, but I have some other books for review I need to get through first. 😊

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Update: 13/52 done
Have slowed down again but hope to change that around. Still two books ahead of schedule and have a lot of books to read in the next little bit. Not sure what I will be able to add to the list, but I'll be on the lookout for what fits. Happy reading 😊

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Yeah, so I added one book from last month. Hit a rut again. Not sure what's wrong with me here lately and I have plenty to read, so 🤷🏻‍♀️. I'm going to push myself to read more this month (I kinda have to, I have lots of books and reviews to do!) Let's do this!

message 18: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments I think most of us experiences a period where we don't read as much as we would like but we always get back on track :-)
Good luck with the books you've coming up!

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Marina H wrote: "I think most of us experiences a period where we don't read as much as we would like but we always get back on track :-)
Good luck with the books you've coming up!"

Thank you Marina! Sorry it took me so long to comment back. I'm so scatterbrained here lately. 😂

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments Well.... I'm at 17/52 books right now, so technically two weeks behind. I've had so much going on here lately that I haven't had much time to read. I'm hoping things will start calming down soon so I can get back to it. I miss my reading time!