American Westerns discussion

What makes a Western story REAL to you?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misterwilson (new)

Misterwilson | 1 comments I love Westerns stories and books.

What are some of you folks most beloved authors and most of all... what REALLY makes the books western as far as you're concerned?

Is the setting? The characters? The writer's voice? What's the magic?

message 2: by Celia (new)

Celia (sgtmom) | 10 comments I love the setting of the American frontier, and it doesn't matter to me if the story is taking place early in the 19th century, when the "Far West" was Ohio or Kentucky, or late in the century, when the railways and telegraph lines had tied the country together. I think what draws me (and what I put into my own books) is something of the spirit of dogged optimism: the belief that people could put their own roots down, and build something fine and meaningful for themselves, even if sometimes it seemed against the odds.

Celia Hayes
To Truckee's Trail & The Adelsverein Trilogy
Adelsverein The Harvesting - Book Three of the Adelsverein Trilogy by Celia D. Hayes Adelsverein the Gathering - Book One of The Adelsverein Trilogy by Celia D. Hayes Adelsverein The Sowing - Book Two of the Adelsverein Trilogy by Celia D. Hayes To Truckee's Trail by Celia D. Hayes

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Colt (paulcolt) | 78 comments A good western starts with a story that takes the reader to another time and place. It has a believable conflict and characters you care about. I like stories with an historical spine. It may be fiction, but it is spun off historical characters and events. You will get a lot of recommendations on great authors like Elmer Kelton and classics like Zane Grey. Here are some of my favorite authors and titles I particularly enjoyed.

Matt Braun- Dakota
Loren D. Estleman- Aces & Eights
Andrew J. Fenady- Tom Horn and the Apache Kid
Robert B. Parker- Resolution
Dusty Richards- Sundown Chaser (I haven't read this title yet but it is getting great reviews)

As a member of the Western Writers of America I have had the pleasure of getting to know some great western authors. Check out westernwriters.org.

Enjoy the west,
Paul Colt
www.paulcoltbooks.com

message 4: by David (new)

David Dail I think it's interesting and maybe since I just joined this group I have missed something and I am about to cross some unspoken line but no one seems to be mentioning Louis L'amour, his Sackett was the first western I ever read and was responsible for my lifelong love affair with the genre. In fact I still have that copy of Sackett today 30 years after I read it the first time.

message 5: by dale (new)

dale | 34 comments Strong characters make a good western to me, i can not pick out why some authors are so appealing for example elmore kelton is great for me.Or Mountian man series

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If it happens in the wild west before trains and stuff than its one to me, and as long as they dont ruin the name of the great cowboy