What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's/Fantasy Picture book about war and peace with a dinosaur theme/Two groups of warring cavepeople each capture two dinosaur friends, to try to use them against each other in battle...

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (last edited Dec 26, 2017 04:03PM) (new)

Cathy (cathy_mccartney) | 4 comments I read this in the 70s and to this day would love to find this book again~
There were two dinosaurs who were either best friends or mates. And there were also two opposing clans of cavemen who wanted to go to war with each other. Each group of cavemen capture one of the dinosaurs. They dress the dinosaurs completely in battle armor and both sides line up for battle. [ Spolier ] When the dinosaurs are nose to nose, they recognize each other as their long-lost friends and the war is over before it even starts. The dinosaurs escape happily to their cave. (ps: they also could have been dragons...in hindsight, I think the creatures were dinosaurs)
I would be amazed and grateful if anyone knows this book!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33448 comments Mod
Cathy, is this a picture with about 32-48 pages?

Can you describe the illustrations -- realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, sunny/dark/muted colors/black & white?

Do they remind you of another illustrator or picture book author?

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathy_mccartney) | 4 comments Hi Kris, I was a kid when I read it, but I remember it was probably less than 32 pages. The illustrations I think were painted...not realistic at all but not cartoony either. I remember one of the last illustrations the dinosaurs were embracing and there was another one of them in their cave, maybe just their tails were out. I can’t think of another author it reminds me of.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathy_mccartney) | 4 comments Hi Anisha! I have not found the name of the book yet. Do you know what it could be?

message 5: by Kris (last edited May 19, 2020 07:32PM) (new)

Kris | 33448 comments Mod
Cathy, have you tried searching on Worldcat.org? It's helpful for finding old children's books.

https://www.worldcat.org/advancedsear...

Do you think the book is British? A real long shot - "The Cavemen" (Real & Pretend Stories series) (1971) by Heather Graham (illustrator Robert Hales) turned up on this site, but I haven't seen a description. 16-17 pages, published in London & Edinburgh. -- Here's the cover art of another book in this Pitman series by the same author: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/027...

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathy_mccartney) | 4 comments Hi Kris! I googled it but I didn't see illustrations. I'll keep looking on worldcat. Thanks!

Anisha_book_lover Cathy wrote: "Hi Anisha! I have not found the name of the book yet. Do you know what it could be?"

No idea. The closest thing I could find to your description was "Dinosaurs Love Underpants" by Claire Freedman. There is a battle between cavemen and dinosaurs, but it was published in 2008, so way too recent.

But, I'll definitely keep looking!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dinosaurs Love Underpants (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Claire Freedman (other topics)