Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > "Valor's Choice" by Tanya Huff (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2321 comments A friend who knows how much I like reading sci fi novels featuring kick-arse heroines lent me this first-in-the-series volume of treasure. Suffice it to say, I think I owe him wine!

Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr is not amused when a two star General hauls her and the pick of her troop away from some well-earned leave in order to babysit a multi-species diplomatic mission to the non-Confederation planet of Silsviss. Their mission: to impress the local warlike reptilian population sufficiently with their obvious competence that the Silsviss agree to sign up as Confederation allies rather than throwing their alarming levels of aggression in on the other side of the war.

All seems to be going well. Until it isn't.

As well as being a fun and fast-paced adventure story, this is a true character-driven novel. Torin is smart, highly competent, funny, and has a razor sharp understanding of what makes her people tick. Her troop are all individuals, with different voices, strengths and weaknesses - together they're a formidable bunch. The new lieutenant is compellingly realistic as he learns the art of command, and Torin's Silsviss equivalent, Cri Sawyes, is her match for canniness and wit. The various species are so well imagined that they come to life on the page. If there's a little too much repetition sometimes with each race's peculiar characteristics used as a running joke (especially the Krai, who will eat anything; and the di'Taykan who will sleep with anything) at least it all feeds the wonderful humorous dialogue and mental asides that feature so strongly even in the toughest of situations.

My friend lent me most of the rest of the series as well. So much for the gardening that I was going to do.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4965 comments Yay!!! I love this series, and of all the kick-ass heroines, Torin is my favorite! Book 2 is just as good if not better, so please keep reading!

message 3: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2321 comments I've just started book 2, and am totally in my happy place!