Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Mai's 2018 plan

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mai (last edited Nov 10, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Mai | 100 comments Over the last few years that i have been doing this, I have been trying to reduce my TBR list. Last year I started off with all good intentions but honestly I got bored of it and wanted to read books that were recently released that everyone was talking about. This year I'm going to trying reduce my TBR list where possible and also bring in other books if I don't feel like reading anything from my TBR list.

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title – from the cell to the cross: A Gripping true-life story 1*
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list – Gulliver's Travel by Jonathan Swift 4*
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (link) – into the water by Paula Hawkins 4*
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) -Rebels of the sands by Alwyn Hamilton 4*
5. A book about or inspired by real events – murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie 3*
6. A book originally written in a language other than English -
7. A gothic novel –
8. An "own voices" book* - The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas 5*
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) –
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) - unfiltered by lily collins 1*
11. A literary fiction – star above by marissa meyer 4*
12. A book set in Africa or South America
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) - An Honest Deceit by Guy Mankowski 3*
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire – A promise of fire by Amanda Bouchet 3*
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure - everything, everything by Nicola Yoon 3*
16. A narrative nonfiction - The Frighteners: Why We Love Monsters, Ghosts, Death & Gore by Pater Laws 4*
17. A book you expect to make you laugh - a girl’s best friend Lindsey kelk 4*
18. A book with a location in the title - The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris 5*
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends - Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood 4*
21. A book written in first person perspective
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for – Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 4*
23. A medical or legal thriller – Inspector Prosby’s Christmas by John Gano 4*
24. A book with a map
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
26. A book with a text only cover – Just the way you are by Lynsey James 1*
27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) - Lion by Saroo Brierley 5*
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water –
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) – The bones of you by Debbie Howells 2*
30. A short book
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to – The Pearl That Broke It’s Shell by Nadia Hashimi 3*
32. An alternate history book
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link) –
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link) (A book about mental illness) – finding audrey by Sophia Kinsella 5*
35. A book featuring a murder – Agent M: The Lives and Spies of MI5's Maxwell Knight by Henry Hemming 2*
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before - The Monstrous Child by Francesca Simon 4*
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee - The Power by Naomi Alderman 2*
38. A science book or a science fiction book – The song rising by Samantha Shannon 4*
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title – threads –
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (link)
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials - Hold back the stars by Katie Khan 3*
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater –
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence - we were on a break by Lindsey kelk 3*
44. A ghost story - When the Curtain Falls by Carrie Hope Fletcher 3*
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you – IT by Stephen King 2*
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air –
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own – Traitor to the throne by Alwyn Hamilton 4*
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth) - Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli 5*
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists - Where am I Now? By Mara Wilson 3*
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) – the light between us by Katie Khan 3*
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
52. A book published in 2018 - the toymakers by Robert Dinsdale 3*

Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer Inspector Proby's Christmas by John Gano From the Cell to the Cross A Gripping True-Life Story by Don Dennis Into the Water by Paula Hawkins Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands #1) by Alwyn Hamilton Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie An Honest Deceit by Guy Mankowski Unfiltered No Shame, No Regrets, Just Me by Lily Collins Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon Just the Way You Are by Lynsey James The Monstrous Child by Francesca Simon We Were On a Break by Lindsey Kelk Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2) by Alwyn Hamilton A Girl's Best Friend (A Girl #3) by Lindsey Kelk Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi Agent M The Lives and Spies of MI5's Maxwell Knight by Henry Hemming The Toymakers by Robert Dinsdale It by Stephen King When The Curtain Falls by Carrie Hope Fletcher The Power by Naomi Alderman Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson Lion by Saroo Brierley The Bones of You by Debbie Howells The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris The Frighteners Why We Love Monsters, Ghosts, Death & Gore by Peter Laws Hold Back the Stars by Katie Khan The Light Between Us by Katie Khan A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1) by Amanda Bouchet The Song Rising (The Bone Season, #3) by Samantha Shannon

message 2: by Kiran (new)

Kiran | 3 comments You've got some great choices, good luck with your reading next year!

message 3: by Mai (new)

Mai | 100 comments Kiran wrote: "You've got some great choices, good luck with your reading next year!"

Thanks, really looking forward to getting into the plan in the new year

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 100 comments started this year if well, so far, 2 books down.

I found inspector proby's book entertaining as i found the twist interesting even though i kind of had an idea who the killer was.

stars above - i enjoyed it, it was nice to hear the lives of the main characters before the first book anyhow they became the people that they are in the books.

message 5: by Mai (new)

Mai | 100 comments 13 books down!

feel like i'm on a role this year. i think it has helped that i listen to some, which helped me get where i am today

message 6: by Mai (new)

Mai | 100 comments 21 books down. This year I haven't been keeping to my list and just reading books that I feel interested in reading

message 7: by Mai (new)

Mai | 100 comments 30 books down