Deadly Divas Book Club discussion

The Child Finder (Naomi Cottle, #1)
This topic is about The Child Finder
Jan 2018 - The Child Finder > The Child Finder - 1st half (50%)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Let's talk about the first 1/2 of The Child Finder - You can talk spoilers in this section.

Perfumegirl | 16 comments Lisa, I've read this but do not have a copy as it was a library book, what has transpired by the end of the first 1/2 as I do not want to spoil the rest of the book for anyone....

message 3: by Ash (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ash Is anyone else getting creeped out by this book? I can honestly say I’m getting anxiety reading the little girls point of view.

Trish (jpolking) | 135 comments I agree with you Ashley-it’s quite disturbing but I am flipping through the pages quickly

Stephanie | 9 comments Been dying to start this so going to read some before bed! Happy New Year & goodnight 😀😴!

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) First can we all just take a moment to appreciate this stunning cover! WOW!

Yikes this is not what I was expecting at all. I can’t decide if I love or hate the lyrical/fairy tale writing style. There is no doubt that this is beautiful writing, I’m just not sure if it’s working for me. I’ll need to see how the second half of the books goes.

Naomi –
I’m intrigue to find out what happened to Naomi all those years ago – I hope she remembers. Looking forward to seeing where her and Jerome’s relationship goes. I fell in love with Mrs. Cottle when she was talking to the younger Naomi and Jerome: “Go. Go explore life, revel in it, roll in it and come up happy.”

Snow Girl / Madison –
I was happy to finally understand the link between Snow Girl/Madison. It’s difficult to read the scenes of her waking up naked next to Mr. B. I appreciate the author not going into graphic details because I know that can be horrific to read. My heart broke in chapter 8 when Madison said “Mr. B. didn’t want to hurt her. He just wanted the warmth and mystery of her body.’

As for the mystery – I have a lot of questions – who is Mr. B. – will we get Naomi’s back story – and mostly will Madison be found?

Therese (avablue14) | 36 comments Mr. B. Is creeping me out but I can see how both Madison and Mr. B. Long for feeling close to someone. Loss of parents and parental figures. I’m sensing the Park Ranger could have a thing for Naomi, but have to keep listening.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Stephanie wrote: "Been dying to start this so going to read some before bed! Happy New Year & goodnight 😀😴!"

HI Stephanie - hope the reading is going good for you and happy new year!

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Ashley wrote: "Is anyone else getting creeped out by this book? I can honestly say I’m getting anxiety reading the little girls point of view."

Ashley, it's very difficult reading about Mr B and Snow Girl. Are you doing ok with the anxiety? Please don't feel like you have to continue if it's to hard for you to read. xoxo

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Perfumegirl wrote: "Lisa, I've read this but do not have a copy as it was a library book, what has transpired by the end of the first 1/2 as I do not want to spoil the rest of the book for anyone...."

Come over to the 2nd part discussion section and we can chat there. LOL

Stephanie | 9 comments Made it to 50%! I'm finding this hard to put down. I'm super intrigued by Naomi, the child finder. Her approach to the cases, her need to search. I'm dying to see if she'll ever find what she looking for & if it'll finally reveal her back story. Right now my gut says Madison will be found. Whether by Naomi or by her own doing or who knows. Eager to find out so off to put the littles to bed & read some more!

Heather (lynn6) | 11 comments This book is not what I expected. It doesn't really read like a mystery. The writing is beautiful, but I'm not sure if I like it. It works really well for Madison's POV, but not so much for Naomi's. I hope we find out more about her back story in the second half.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Heather wrote: "This book is not what I expected. It doesn't really read like a mystery. The writing is beautiful, but I'm not sure if I like it. It works really well for Madison's POV, but not so much for Naomi's..."

Heather, you made me laugh because I feel the same way about the writing. It's beautiful but not sure if I'm totally digging it or not. LOL

Berna I passed the midpoint without realizing it . The story is so heartbreaking, I just needed to know what happens to Snowgirl. Her POV is fantastic but everytime I read her optimist view, I also want to cry.
The backstory of Naomi is also interesting but so far it fades as regards to Madison’s.

Natalie (allthingsbooks1) | 0 comments Just got past 50% now, currently on 58%.
Got a funny feeling that Mr. B could possibly be the lad on the poster that went missing and would probably be around 50 now.
Also I’m not too keen on Jerome! Definitely think he’s got hidden motives, something very strange about him.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Berna, I agree this is heartbreaking - Madison/Snowgirl is so precious and I love her voice. However, at times she appears to be much older and wiser then her young years. I hope you enjoy the 2nd half. : -)

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Natalie, I have to zip up my mouth because I just finished the book so I can't confirm or deny anything. Damn this is hard keeping my mouth closed. LOL! Looking forward to your thoughts when you finish. : -)

Sandi Sullivan | 21 comments I just reached the half way point. I have to say the comparison of the situation being compared to a fairy tail is really creepy. Reading Maddison's POV is heartbreaking and it's odd that she can remain so optimistic with what's happening to her especially at five years of age. I don't feel much of a connection with Naomi yet but that could change when I know more of her story. I can't wait to see how this story ends.

message 19: by Berna (last edited Jan 04, 2018 12:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Berna Lisa, about Madison's appearing to be much older, I have never thought about it. But I think you are right.
That is why I love these discussions :)

Jenny | 14 comments My thought so far (not at 50% yet), what is worse, surviving that snowstorm and being taken in - pretty much by a pedophile OR having passed away? As a parent, I would not want to think of my child having to miss their parents and being violated and kept unwillingly. That in itself is always a question. I am curious to learn more about Naomi and to see if we ever get her whole story. Looking forward to getting to this after work today.

Brandy Franklin | 10 comments This book is really intriguing and goes so quickly. I find myself turning page after page just waiting for some answers lol!! Like many of you, I’m not quite sure how I feel about the fairytale writing portions but I still maintain it’s a very good book so far. Can’t wait to finish it!

Addie Dehart | 27 comments I'm not quite to the half way point but I had a few moments and decided I'd pop on her a bit prematurely. Like many of you I too am drawn in by Madison's story but not nearly as much by Naomi's story. I find myself rushing through Naomi's parts to get to Madison's.

Like Natalie said I think as we progress we're going to find more connections between Mr. B, Madison, and Naomi. like Natalie I think those posters hint at something.

I read the Snow Child by Eowyn Ivy a couple months ago which is a retelling of the snow maiden fairy tale and I'm really enjoying reading another version of it.

I also really appreciate that we know that Madison is being molested but its not graphic with its description. Its still heart breaking but easier to read about. I also think that Madison describing the molestation as it is is probably a realistic portrayal because a 5 year old would probably have such little understanding about what's going on.

message 23: by Mom2triplets04 (last edited Jan 05, 2018 03:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mom2triplets04 | 17 comments I just started to read this! It reminds me of that tv show where that boy was taken and lived in a underground basement for years.

Why did it take the parents 3 years before they hired Naomi to help find her? That's a very long time don't you think?

That Mr. B. Is really creepy and gross.

Going to read on I"m only on chapter 3.

message 24: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (brandnewbooksmell) (brandnewbooksmell) | 5 comments I’ve debated whether to keep reading or not. I don’t have any problem with stepping away from a book no matter how far I’ve read.
That said, there’s something about the story that I need to find out what happens. It’s too late to be a “happily ever after” for an ending. But I’m intrigued enough to finish ...

Lindsi (lindsiwanderingreader) Ok, so I reached the 50% mark. Finding the book easy to read and hard to put down. I actually like the mix of styles - fairytale esk for Madison and reflective/investigative for Naomi. I wonder is Madison’s and Naomi’s stories are linked in some way? Could Mr B be both their captors? I appreciate not getting the graphic details of Mr B and Madison’s ‘relationship’ because even the subtle hints are enough to make you gag. I think they’re also subtle because it’s from Madison’s voice and she obviously doesn’t really know what’s going on. Anyway, looking forward to reading the rest!

Mom2triplets04 | 17 comments I’m having that feeling too that mr b is the one which took naomi years ago and once she finds him her memories will come back.

Finally at the half way. Will read more later

Kimberly Rodriguez I really did not expect this at all from this book. The writing is different but I enjoy it. I am so curious to find out what happened to Naomi. Like many of you said, Mr B is creeping me out as well. I really don’t like reading the scenes about him!

Shannon Quinn | 23 comments I'm the same as many others, it's a little slow to get into, but the writing is beautiful. The only word I can think of to describe the story so far is haunting. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, which is odd for me. I'm getting through it fairly quickly, so we'll see how I feel once I'm finished. Mr. B is creeping me out, a LOT, and the chapters with Snow Girl are very uncomfortable.

Shannon | 5 comments I had no idea what to expect from this book as I didn’t read the description, but the title was intriguing. Like others I appreciate Madison’s point of view as it is difficult read and think about.

I like Naomi and the Ranger together. I wonder if the Ranger questioned the fur trader/suspected him at all. Although he doesn’t communicate and the store owner said he was deaf I would think the Ranger or someone would’ve tried to ask him about Madison after she went missing since he obviously lives and hunts/traps in the woods.

I never thought about Mr B being the same person from Naomi’s past. I wonder like others if Mr B is the boy from the posters and maybe someone found/took him like he did to Madison. For Naomi I keep going back to the little girl she told Mrs Cottle she was looking for who was too small. Did her she leave someone behind? Was she talking about herself?

I think they will find Madison. After the store encounter with Mr B he was on her radar now just a matter of how she finds him. Thinking those strings Madison puts on the tree will help.

As for the side story of Danita I’m hoping the baby is okay. Working multiple cases would probably a reality. Hoping for some good news in the 2nd half.

Amber Eats Books (ambereatsbooks) | 5 comments I’m really enjoying this book. I know many of you said the fairytale writing style isn’t working for them but I think it’s what drew me into the story. I love how this is moving at a slower pace. It’s allowing me to relish the slight progressions instead of hurriedly running through events.

I find Naomi’s background (or lack thereof) intriguing. I need to know what happened to her! Who did she leave behind? Will she finally remember everything? How does that tie in to current events?

Snow girl/ Madison’s story is heartbreaking. I find the passages about her and Mr. B in bed together very disturbing since I have a daughter her exact age. Will she be found? Will she be sad to be separated from Mr. B after all this time? Or will she run from him without looking back?

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) THANK YOU LISA! I am really enjoying this book. I just started it today but I will be done by tomorrow. Are you having a youtube book club meeting or like Jose at Squibblereads, a live instragram? I love the live interaction on books.

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance As most everyone here, I find it a creepy yet intriguing read. Like a wreck no one wants to see, yet everyone is looking.
I do agree with what you (Lisa) had written about certain scenes not being further described by the author and I appreciate that. It is already difficult to put yourself in the minds of the children or the creeps! It is something I normally don't read and shy away from actually. It just gets to me too much.
So far I can still tolerate it and I think that this Mr. B is the deaf trapper that Naomi encountered once. But we shall see.......