Deadly Divas Book Club discussion

Jan 2018 - The Child Finder > The Child Finder - 2nd half (100%)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Let's talk about what happened in the 2nd half of The Child Finder - You can talk spoilers in this section.

message 2: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Bourgeois | 6 comments I finished the book about a week ago. I liked this much better than last months selection. I thought the characters were much fuller developed and you could feel what they were thinking and going through. There were parts of the book that were difficult to read such as the times where the young man was being raped and beaten and similar things were happening to the girl. I did find it unbelievable that at age 5/7 she could think as maturely and rationally as portrayed. Even though she was quite intelligent, this was highly unlikely. It would be probable given her age and given the trauma and severity of the situation, it would be more likely she would regress to immature behavior. The book was compelling though and kept the reader interested with the additional minor story lines.

message 3: by Perfumegirl (new)

Perfumegirl | 16 comments I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but had a real problem with the voice of the little girl, it seemed to be written with a more mature voice than any young child would have, at least any of the ones I've been around.

message 4: by Trish (new)

Trish (jpolking) | 135 comments I just finished the book -I found it quite hard to read at times but thankful it didn’t go into explicit details .....I find Rene’s writing very beautiful.
I will check in again soon to see everyone’s thoughts on this book!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 9 comments Stayed up a little too late last night finishing this book, but well worth it! My only disappointment was not getting the full back story on Naomi. I thought the writing was beautiful & loved all the fairy tales woven throughout. The subject matter is always a hard one to read, but I thought the author did a great job of telling the story without going into depth. Overall 4 stars for me.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Marcia wrote: "I finished the book about a week ago. I liked this much better than last months selection. I thought the characters were much fuller developed and you could feel what they were thinking and going t..."
Hi Marcia! Bummer you didn't enjoy last month book "Night Road" it was one of my favorite books of the year. BUT I'm so happy you enjoyed The Child Finder. The writing is so beautiful. I also found it extremely unrealistic for Madison to be that mature for such a young age and at times it took away from the story because I had to keep reminding myself she was only 5 years old when she was taken. That scene you mentioned about the boy being raped was the most difficult for me to read too - it was the only time I had to walk away from the book because I started to have some heavy tears.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Perfumegirl wrote: "I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but had a real problem with the voice of the little girl, it seemed to be written with a more mature voice than any young child would have, at least any of the ones ..."

I agree. I feel like it would have made more realistic if she was kidnapped at the age of 9 or 10 because honestly I had to keep reminding myself that she was only 5/8. I'm still not sure what I will rate this book - it was beautiful writing but I'm not sure I like the fairytale like quality.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Stephanie wrote: "Stayed up a little too late last night finishing this book, but well worth it! My only disappointment was not getting the full back story on Naomi. I thought the writing was beautiful & loved all t..."

Stephanie - I just finished the 2nd book in the Deanna Madden trilogy last night and finally managed to fall asleep at 2:30am because I couldn't stop reading. I did not that this looks like it will turn into a series, so if that's true we might get more of Naomi's backstory. I felt like Sarah the rangers wife was going to be Naomi's sister but not sure now after the last chapter.

message 9: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 8 comments Okay so I'll admit I read all of this book before the 1st lol. I just was excited to get in a thriller a good mystery plot. But I'm admit I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. The fairy tale part wasn't my thing. I understand the girl was trying to escape in her own way but didn't care for that part.
I hated the back and forth from other characters that didn't give the story no Justice at all. I kept screaming at Naomi to go in the woods and look for the girl ugh. Lol she barely was there and she just happened to come across the kidnapper while at the store. I was like really. No thrilling there. It's hard to explain I just wish it was more so much more to this story. Something thrill worthy. I've read better mysteries. I never connected to Naomi even her past I couldn't connect to shoot she didn't even know her own let along I connect to it and grieve with her. The little girl I felt sorry for her. It got to the point in order for her to survive she had to not run she had to smile, hold his hand etc but deep down she knew it wasn't right to be there. But again I wanted more.

message 10: by Perfumegirl (new)

Perfumegirl | 16 comments Lisa-Books Smiles wrote: "Perfumegirl wrote: "I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but had a real problem with the voice of the little girl, it seemed to be written with a more mature voice than any young child would have, at le..."

glad to know I wasn't the only one who had to keep reminding themselves what the little girl's age was, but it was still a good read.

message 11: by Perfumegirl (new)

Perfumegirl | 16 comments Stephanie wrote: "Stayed up a little too late last night finishing this book, but well worth it! My only disappointment was not getting the full back story on Naomi. I thought the writing was beautiful & loved all t..."

The Strawberry Palace is due to be released in October and I think it will dwell more on Naomi's past than this one did.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (lynn6) | 11 comments I agree with everyone about Madison seeming older than she was. I'm still not sure how I feel about the writing, but I ended up giving it four stars mainly because it made me shed a few tears.

message 13: by Berna (last edited Jan 05, 2018 09:20AM) (new)

Berna I just finished the book.
Although I especially agree that Madison acted and made plans way mature than her age, I still loved her POV. The harsh reality of rape / sexual abuse mixed with a fairy tale innocence of a child is a very novel idea for me. I really admired this idea.
I liked Naomi much more in the second half of the book, but something was still off about her. Maybe after what she experienced in her childhood, that is normal but I could not connect with her in any part of the story.
I did not like her being lovers with Jerome. I know they are not blood related but I find it odd since they were raised like siblings. I think The Ranger would be much better choice for her.
Mr. B. was an another heartbreaking character although he was the pervert. And that makes the story much more engrossing.

message 14: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Sullivan | 21 comments Just finished the book. Maddison's POV was heartbreaking and I was so invested in her story. The thoughts she shared were way to mature for a 5 year old and I it felt like the story was about someone older. I couldn't relate to Naomi throughout the entire book. I was cheering for Maddison and her family starting a new life in a new place. I gave this book 4 stars but I did feel the author rushed the ending and tried to wrap things up quickly.

message 15: by Dinah (new)

Dinah Just finished and I am totally exhausted after that fight with Mr. B. I really need to find out what happened to Naomi's sister. I also would have like Naomi and Ranger Dave to end up together.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica Teele | 3 comments I just finish the book and it was good but would have liked a little more on Naomi. At one point I felt bad for Mr B. I wish they could have found him back then.

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (literaryhorror) | 4 comments I just finished the book and I actually enjoyed it. I thought the fairytale writing was interesting; although I usually don’t prefer reading from alternating POVs, I think it worked well with this book. I agree that Madison did seem very mature for her age. I’m not sure, however, how I feel about Naomi and Jerome. I was kind of wishing she would get closer to the Ranger. I’m dying to know more about Naomi’s backstory. Overall though, I really did love this book (5 stars in my opinion) and can’t wait to continue the series!

message 18: by Addie Dehart (new)

Addie Dehart | 27 comments I just finished Child Finder. I thought it was ok, but I didn't love it. I think a large part of it was the writing style. I can't put my finger on what it is about it, but I didn't care for it. I think there were too many POV's and that left me disconnected and it was jolting how quickly we went from narrator to narrator and often we just had the new narrator for such a short period of time. As a mother of a 6 year old and an 8 year old, I can definitely attest to the fact that Madison was unrealistically mature, that being said Madison's voice was the one that I was most drawn to. I found myself constantly wanting the story to get back to Madison and the search for Madison and to quit diving into Naomi's backstory. I think if I had known that this was a first book in a series I would have been more receptive to reading about her backstory, but I didn't know that until I read it on this message board a few minutes ago. I think it was probably a 3 star read and at this point I really don't see myself picking up the next book.

message 19: by Therese (new)

Therese (avablue14) | 36 comments I just finished this book - i liked the atmospheric writing but like how many commented, , Madison/Snow Girl acted far older than her years, which was not realistic ... but she broke my heart at the same time. Each time Naomi had her “big dream” I thought that was the moment we’d find out the answer to her past and her sister she got separated from. I’m not sure why Danita was in the story, but hers was a compelling and heart breaking one, too. I wasn’t as shocked and feeling on edge as I thought I’d be. Reading about Naomi and Jerome together felt off ... i know they were foster siblings but reading how they spent the night together felt awkward. Overall, 3.5-4 Stars.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 14 comments Finished the book this morning. I found a quiet strength in Naomi having endured what she did (although more to come) and immersing herself in finding others that may be enduring the same thing. I really think just in this one book we saw her open up more. I think the relationship with Jerome is all about trust, although he would not have been my pick for her. The story in the story of Danita was so sad, I really did like the closure of finding out what happened to her baby.

SO hard to believe that Madison is only 5 - definitely have to keep reminding myself of that as her voice is much older. To leave the thread trail, definitely reminiscent of a fairytail. How she coped with the sketching on the walls of the cellar probably helped her to maintain some sanity. Also, how she learned to be kind to Mr B knowing that was self preservation, by smiling or holding his hand. Her discovery, going home, restoration of her family the move to Canada and finding a counselor to cope I do believe wrapped up her story very well. Although, we can never know the long term effects.

Mr B - tragic!! To dislike and yet feel sorry at the same time for this man. Did he know any better? We know this is how his life was lived and he always wanted to escape. To then do this to another person, why? Loneliness the need for companionship, repeating a pattern? His death is freeing for the nightmare that he endured, to just hear his name one last time and so Madison never has to think he is still out there.

I liked the ranger character and really liked the family that lived on the mountain. Although they lived in a way that is not appealing to me, you did sense family about them. The books got me!!! A home must have books. Also, the care they gave to their sister spoke a lot about who they really are. Such a small glimpse but gave a clear picture.

All in all a 4 star read for me and I do believe I will continue on with the other books as they are released in the series.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments So I just finished it. The writing was absolutely beautiful, but I agree with everyone else that Madison’s voice was too mature for the age range portrayed. I pegged Mr. B as the missing boy as soon as the missing poster in the ranger shack was mentioned, but I read a lot of mystery/thriller/suspense. :) Overall, I enjoyed it and think she could develop this into a series. I do wish for more of Naomi’s story. I got just enough to be disappointed at the lack of follow-through on what happened to Naomi.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Lesa wrote: "Okay so I'll admit I read all of this book before the 1st lol. I just was excited to get in a thriller a good mystery plot. But I'm admit I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. The fairy ta..."

Lesa, I think this is going to be a book that people either love or hate because the writing style is unique for a mystery novel. There is no doubt that Rene’s writing is beautiful – however, I’m not so sure that it worked for me either. I don’t read a lot of fairy tales and found that it took me out of the story; therefore, I could never connect with either of the characters. Thank you for reading with us.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Heather wrote: "I agree with everyone about Madison seeming older than she was. I'm still not sure how I feel about the writing, but I ended up giving it four stars mainly because it made me shed a few tears."

awww Heather sorry for the tears. I'm surprised that I did not cry because I cry ALL the time. LOL

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Berna wrote: "I just finished the book.
Although I especially agree that Madison acted and made plans way mature than her age, I still loved her POV. The harsh reality of rape / sexual abuse mixed with a fairy ..."

HI Berna, I didn't mind the relationship between Jerome and Naomi but it would have been nice to see her form a relationship with the Ranger. I really thought that Sarah (Naomi's sister) was going to be the Rangers wive that died.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Sandi wrote: "Just finished the book. Maddison's POV was heartbreaking and I was so invested in her story. The thoughts she shared were way to mature for a 5 year old and I it felt like the story was about someo..."

Hi Sandi, I agree! There is a 2nd book coming out soon and will probably answer a lot of questions that remained open at the end of the book. I do not plan on reading the 2nd book bc I just found myself not caring enough about Naomi.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Monica wrote: "I just finish the book and it was good but would have liked a little more on Naomi. At one point I felt bad for Mr B. I wish they could have found him back then."

Monica I also found myself feeling compassion for Mr. B. (after we found out who he was) - he just never had a chance to have a normal life and that was so sad.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) RIA wrote: "I just finished the book and I actually enjoyed it. I thought the fairytale writing was interesting; although I usually don’t prefer reading from alternating POVs, I think it worked well with this ..."

Ria, I'm so happy you loved the book and you are looking forward to the 2nd book. I hope you get to know more of Naomi's backstory in that book. Thank you for reading with us!

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Addie wrote: "I just finished Child Finder. I thought it was ok, but I didn't love it. I think a large part of it was the writing style. I can't put my finger on what it is about it, but I didn't care for it. I ..."

Addie - I will ditto everything you said! I did not know that this was going to be a series - there was no mention of that on goodreads when we picked this book. I try to not pick series for book club reads because it's just doesn't seem to work out. Anyway - I just didn't care enough about Naomi and have no intentions of picking up the 2nd book. Thank you for reading with us.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Jenny wrote: "Finished the book this morning. I found a quiet strength in Naomi having endured what she did (although more to come) and immersing herself in finding others that may be enduring the same thing. I ..."

Jenny,
I completely forgot to mention Danita until I was reading your comment – I also was happy to find out what happened to her baby. I felt so sad for Danita! I hope that Jerome and Naomi can have a long healthy relationship and I agree their love is built on trust – which is a great foundation.

Now for Mr. B. – he had no chance at a normal life. He never experienced a healthy loving relationship and that is just tragic. I think his death is a blessing because I don’t think he wanted to be the terrible man he grew into.

Thank you for reading with us and your fantastic comments in the discussion!.

message 30: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 9 comments Jenny wrote: "Finished the book this morning. I found a quiet strength in Naomi having endured what she did (although more to come) and immersing herself in finding others that may be enduring the same thing. I ..."

Well said! Completely agree.

message 31: by Amy Mc (new)

Amy Mc I just finished the book, and I gave it 4 stars. The book is hard to imagine, but I couldn't stop reading it!

I felt that the author did a good job at making me want to continue reading, but the way she switched between points of view had me off balance at times. There was no clear warning of when the points of view would be changing.

I found myself thinking about this book even when I couldn't get back to reading it for awhile. Those poor children...Mr. B and Madison. First of all, while it is terrible what happened to Bryan as a child, he still had to know right from wrong. The way he raped that poor little girl was the act of a criminal mind. But would he have been a rapist as an adult if his childhood had been different? I don't know. He remembered the pain he felt being raped as a child, and he knew it was wrong for that to be done to him. But he did it to Madison anyway.

I was soooo disturbed that Madison wanted to marry Mr. B (and did so in her mind)! That was the worst moment in the book for me. We obviously can't fathom the mind of a child in that situation. It's awful.

Overall, I really did like this book, but it would take a whole lot of space to fully discuss it!

message 32: by Carliegoddard (new)

Carliegoddard | 2 comments I just didn't get into this book the way that I wanted to. It seemed slow in some parts. I found myself not caring about the relationship with Jerome, I really don't even know why it was thrown in there. I was much more invested in the snow girl and her being found. I really love Denfelds writing. It's very lyrical and beautiful. I definitely loved The Enchanted much more. I still rated this 3 stars.

message 33: by Trish (new)

Trish (jpolking) | 135 comments I just read over everyone’s thoughts and have taken away more from this story now than when I first finished!
The general consensus is that we all felt the voice of Madison was a little too mature (even for a gifted child).
I didn’t mind Jerome and Naomi together, although I was rooting for the ranger!!
Mr.B’s life was tragic and left me really unnerved!!
I am happy that we got closure on Danita’s story(broke my heart).
I NEEDED to know what happened to Naomi’s sister(didn’t realize until reading above comments that we are getting a second book).
I enjoyed this book but didn’t LOVE it
I felt a bit disconnected to all the characters.
I may just wait for spoilers to the second book instead of reading it .
My final rating is a 3.5 .

message 34: by Gwen (new)

Gwen Casteel (satindoll) | 9 comments I finished the book last night. I liked it very much. I thought the characters were developed. It was a good read.

I found it extremely unrealistic for Madison to be that mature for such a young age she was only 5 years old when she was taken.

I did feel for “Mr. B” being raped and beaten as a young boy, thus his obsession, however this did not excuse his behaver. He was a sad and lost character, and was a pervert.

I also feel there is a second book coming to complete Naomi’s story.

I just came for Book Club and recommended it for one of our months picks.

Thank you, Lisa, for you picks for the year…Hugs

message 35: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Quinn | 23 comments I just finished the book, and after reading everyone's comments, I think I can pinpoint the reason this book was off for me. The writing was beautiful and almost fairytale-like, as many people said, and I think that that style of writing just doesn't work for me for a dark mystery kind of story. Kind of like watching a movie if happy children's music was playing during a murder scene........I don't know if that makes sense, but it just felt wrong to me.

I also thought we would get more about Naomi's story. I went into this book thinking it was a standalone, but while technically it is, I'm pretty sure that it's going to be one of those series where every book can be read alone, but Naomi's story continues through the books. That disappointed me somewhat.

It wasn't a bad book by any means, and the author's writing in excellent, I just think that it wasn't quite for me. I'm giving it a solid three stars.

message 36: by Trish (new)

Trish (jpolking) | 135 comments Shannon
I think you explained it perfectly!!!
I felt very similar to your thoughts.....I don’t think I will continue on with Naomi’s story(but that could change).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts

message 37: by Salma Rafiq (new)

Salma Rafiq | 1 comments i thought it was just me! i agree its a good story, well written just not for me. 3 stars from me too.

message 38: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 17 comments Was just stopping by to see if anyone DNFd it! I'm on page 182. Looks like everyone finished it. I'll try to read on! Not reading any comments just looking for DNF and Finished. Will be back when I"m done but man this book is dragging for me.

message 39: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 5 comments I thought this was a fast read. It was a very difficult topic but I liked how the author didn’t go into detail and created a fairy tale world for Madison to survive.

Danita’s storyline was heartbreaking and had me in tears.

I don’t know why but I don’t like Naomi and Jerome together. I was really hoping her and Ranger Dave would work out.

I’m glad the book answered who the girl was Naomi was searching for. I wanted to have the full answer in this book, but I will read the second book and see how Naomi’s story continues.

Overall this book was between a 3.5 and 4 Star for me. It was a fast read and had me wanting to continue on. I believed some characters more than others. However, I liked it enough to give the second book in the series a chance.

message 40: by Amber (new)

Amber Eats Books (ambereatsbooks) | 5 comments Here are my thoughts:

Negatives:

The events at the end felt rushed.

I wasn’t a fan of Jerome and Naomi. The dialogue during their scenes seemed unrealistic.

I didn’t know that there was a second book so I felt a little let down by not knowing everything that happened to Naomi and her sister.

Positives:

The first half of the book was completely engaging.

Madison’s sections were my favorite even though she did sound mature for her age. I kept turning the pages to see what was going to happen.

I loved the writing style! I know that doesn’t seem to be the popular opinion but it really worked for me. It was what ultimately propelled it to a 4 star read for me.

message 41: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 17 comments Finally finished this! I was almost going to DNF as it was slow at times for me and the child abuse of the girl was hard to read. Also didn't know that there was going to be a series. Ugh I don't like series so was sad we didn't get to know about Naomi's story and what happened to her sister.

I did't like how she switched POVs without warning. That drives me crazy because I get lost and confused.

No tears here! Just creeped out. Glad that Madison finally got home but I guessed that the thread on the trees would lead someone to her.

That was awful about the baby on the bus. That poor baby.

Giving my book away!

3 stars for me. Not sure I will pick up next book or not. Maybe library.

message 42: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 17 comments oh and the girl was 8 years old in the book. She was taken at age 5. I guess she spoke that way to protect herself from being trapped for so long.

message 43: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiegarza) This story provoked many feels! At times, I had difficulty because then words were so good I could empathize. The dark realization of the human psyche's strength for survival, good and evil. Are we a product of our experiences and circumstances? I rooted for Madison and Naomi and felt horrible for Mr. B. 4.5/5 stars.

Ashley (book_grams) (book_grams) I was really looking forward to reading this but it just fell flat for me. I had a tough time connecting with Naomi and I was not a fan of the lyrical writing. I was hoping to find out more about Naomi’s past and it is unfortunate that the author didn’t tie this up for us (I didn’t know this was going to be part of a series).

I did enjoy Madison’s POV (although some scenes were very tough to read) and liked her character. I do think that the ending felt rushed and some of the side plots seemed unnecessary. Overall, 2 stars for me. I didn’t hate it but I won’t be reading the next book in the series.

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Quinn | 23 comments I'm so glad that some of you enjoyed it more than I did. It truly speaks to how different everyone's reading tastes are! I think a common thread amongst most of us is that going into it we had no idea it was going to be a series, so it was disappointing not to have Naomi's story wrapped up too. Hers was the one I was most interested in, so the ending left me very unsatisfied. Oh well, not all books are going to be 5 stars for everyone, unfortunately. I love reading everyone's thoughts though!

message 46: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) I just finished. I think I need time to digest this whole book. I agree with people who had to remind themselves she was much younger. Some parts were very hard to read because of the subject, but was well written. I did not like Jerome and her storyline. I think this book will haunt me for a few days before I form more opinions.

message 47: by Julia (new)

Julia Gulley I enjoyed this read, though some of the content was a little tough. The way Madison evolved into the snow girl to protect herself was very interesting and that Naomi was able to identify that by having talked to her parents about her favorite fairy tales. I loved the way Naomi was able to absorb herself into the community and find the child. Oh and lets not forget about the baby on the bus....that was heart wrenching, to be able to connect with the autistic woman to help her pull the information from her brain... I gave this read 5/5 stars, I think it will be one that I will remember for a very long time.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Julia wrote: "I enjoyed this read, though some of the content was a little tough. The way Madison evolved into the snow girl to protect herself was very interesting and that Naomi was able to identify that by ha..."

Julia, the baby on the bus was completely heart wrenching! I love the way Naomi went about discovering the truth by opening her heart and being nonjudgemental. That's not easy for most people to do. I'm so happy you loved the book. Lisa xxx

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Sally wrote: "I just finished. I think I need time to digest this whole book. I agree with people who had to remind themselves she was much younger. Some parts were very hard to read because of the subject, but ..."

Sally, hahaha I find myself still thinking about this book and all the little details. I did fall in love with Madison. Lisa xxx

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Ashley wrote: "I was really looking forward to reading this but it just fell flat for me. I had a tough time connecting with Naomi and I was not a fan of the lyrical writing. I was hoping to find out more about N..."

Ashley, I have to agree with you on the lyrical writing style. I guess some of us don't appreciate beautiful writing in mystery/thrillers. HAHAHA! Lisa xx

« previous 1