Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Ashley's Plan

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ash | (last edited Jun 24, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) First time completing this particular reading challenge. Here we go!
Happy reading all, and journey well!

Week 1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
All the Pretty Horses 5 Stars

Week 2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks 4 Stars

Week 3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Geekerella (nominee - best young adult fiction) 3 Stars

Week 4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
The Good Earth 5 Stars

5. A book about or inspired by real events
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail 1 Star

6. A book originally written in a language other than English The Alchemist (Originally written in Portuguese) 5 Stars

7. A gothic novel
Wuthering Heights 5 Stars

8. An "own voices" book*
The Kite Runner 4 Stars

9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
The Darkest Minds 4 Stars

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
The Time Machine 5 Stars

11. A literary fiction
The Pearl 5 Stars

12. A book set in Africa or South America
The Poisonwood Bible5 Stars

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
Gods of Howl Mountain4 Stars

14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
STILL working on this one ... The Fiery Cross

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Gemina 5 Stars

16. A narrative nonfiction
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon
A Walk in the Woods
Into the Wild

17. A book you expect to make you laugh

18. A book with a location in the title

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
Poe-Land: The Hallowed Haunts of Edgar Allan Poe (best critical/biographical 2015)

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends

21. A book written in first person perspective

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
Six of Crows

23. A medical or legal thriller

24. A book with a map

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view

26. A book with a text only cover

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)

30. A short book
Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom
The Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes
The Little Prince

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
32. An alternate history book
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link)

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call
---> A book about something celestial or containing something celestial in the title or author's name. (moon, star, sun, planet, etc)
Number the Stars
Walk Two Moons
The Pillars of the Earth
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

35. A book featuring a murder
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
Hag-Seed (2017 nominee)
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (2016 nominee)
Station Eleven (nominee 2015)
The Song of Achilles (2012 winner)
Oryx and Crake (2004 nominee)
Fingersmith (2002 nominee)

38. A science book or a science fiction book

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
S.

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
To Kill a Mockingbird
Dune

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
44. A ghost story
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
The Collapsing Empire (March 2017)
The Bear and the Nightingale (January 2017)
4321 (January 2017)
The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story (January 2017)
Scythe (November 2016)
Game of Queens: The Women Who Made Sixteenth-Century Europe (November 2016)
Dark Matter (July 2016)
Rebel of the Sands (March 2016)
Station Eleven (September 2014)

50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
Interpreter of Maladies

52. A book published in 2018
The Cruel Prince
Legendary
Unearthed

message 2: by ash | (last edited Jun 02, 2018 11:12AM) (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) 2018 Personal Reading Goals
I will add the books here as I complete them to hold myself accountable

5 classics ~ 4/5
1. The Good Earth
2. Wuthering Heights
3. The Pearl
4. The Time Machine

5 series entirely finished or caught up to the recent release ~ 0/5
There are many series where I only have 1 or 2 books left to read before finishing or have completely abandoned
NONE SO FAR

10 books-that-I've-started-but-never-finished ~ 6/10
OVER HALF WAY THERE WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!
1. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
2. The Essential Guide to Crystals, Minerals and Stones
3. The Eyre Affair
4. Feel Free to Prosper: Two Weeks to Unexpected Income with the Simplest Prosperity Laws Available
5. The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
6. Warp

10 books from my "1000 books to read before you die" list ~ 4/10
I've been working off this list I found many years ago
1. All the Pretty Horses
2. Wuthering Heights
3. The Time Machine
4. The Poisonwood Bible

and....

Happy 2018! 18 books published in 2018 ~ 3/18
This may be my most challenging! I am usually a year or two behind
1. Gods of Howl Mountain pub Mar 20th
2. Unexpected Prize pub Feb 4th
3. Space Opera pub April 10th

message 3: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments immortal life of henrietta lacks is an amazing book you'll love it! i also have song of achilles on my list for women's fiction writers which im definitely looking forward to

message 4: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Sabrina wrote: "immortal life of henrietta lacks is an amazing book you'll love it! i also have song of achilles on my list for women's fiction writers which im definitely looking forward to"

I think Immortal Life will be my read for the longest on TBR! I have heard soo many positive reviews. I only recently heard of song of achillies but now I need to get my hands on it.

message 5: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) For Week 1, I read All the Pretty Horses which met the prompt of "A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title"

I greatly enjoyed The Road so I was already familiar with McCarthy’s unconventional writing style --- there is a beauty in his story telling. Reading this book, at times, made me feel like I was right there with the characters. I appreciate when an author uses the speaking patterns and language of the book's setting & time period. It adds a certain authenticity.

This book earned 5 stars from me!

message 6: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Two weeks down.. and I'm still at it!!! I am challenging myself to do these prompts in order and so far, so good. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks was one of the very first books I added to my TBR when I first joined in 2013. I really enjoyed how Skloot perfectly crafted and weaved Henrietta's life story (and family history) with her investigative journalism.

For Week 3, I am currently reading Geekerella and loving it so far!! I am only 50 or so pages into it but there have already been Game of Throne & Lord of the Ring references, Comic Con discussion, childhood fangirling (we've all been there-- right?!).

I haven't read any books [yet] that met the requirements for my personal reading goals.
---I am super excited to read books published in 2018 (what are your favorite recommendations?).

message 7: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) I read Geekerella for the week 3 prompt. The story was a very cute and adorable retelling of Cinderella that included all things geeky!

message 8: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) I am struggling to choose a book for week 4 (earth).... I've narrowed it down to ...
The Pillars of the Earth
The Good Earth
A Wizard of Earthsea
Unearthed

message 9: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3470 comments I just finished The Good Earth this morning. It fits the prompt completely (there’s SO much talk of earth/land/farming but man. Took me ten days to get through it.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments I'm planning on reading The Pillars of the Earth.

message 11: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Jody wrote: "I just finished The Good Earth this morning. It fits the prompt completely (there’s SO much talk of earth/land/farming but man. Took me ten days to get through it."

I've been meaning to read this book for a little over 15 years which is why it made my short list! I'd be afraid it would take me too long to finish. I wanted to read Battlefield Earth but 1000+ pages would take longer than a week for me! It takes me weeks to finish an Outlander book :)

message 12: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Emily wrote: "I'm planning on reading The Pillars of the Earth."

This is my top choice. It sounds SO good! I hope my library has a copy!!

message 13: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3470 comments I really thought I’d enjoy it, and I’m so disappointed that I didn’t. I seem to be an outlier though so you might have better luck!

message 14: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Jody wrote: "I really thought I’d enjoy it, and I’m so disappointed that I didn’t. I seem to be an outlier though so you might have better luck!"

I ended up going with The Good Earth because I didn't quite feel like running to the library and I was able to use prime reading to borrow for free. I'm about 125 pages into it so far. I am surprising myself and actually enjoying it. I know for a fact that if I would have read it in high school, I would've hatred it and not have understood the themes.

message 15: by ash | (last edited Feb 05, 2018 12:33PM) (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) I was struck with the flu and it certainty put a damper on my reading. I spent the last couple days trying to get as much sleep as I could in between taking care of a sick 2 year old. We are on the mend though and looking forward to a snow day (hopefully) this Wednesday.

I finished The Good Earth last week and it was excellent.

I am now working on finishing Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. I don't know if it's just me or what... but I don't like it one bit.

message 16: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Oh, I was also able to fit in The Alienist before the tv show really kicked off!!!

message 17: by ash | (last edited Feb 20, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Just finished Wild, the book I read for the "inspired by true events" prompt. Whew. It didn't end up being that bad. I am now off to stalk the #pacificcresttrail Insta feeds for all of the beautiful pics and live vicariously through all those #thruhikers

Next up, either The Alchemist, The Inferno or Madame Bovary!! Decisions, decisions.

message 18: by ash | (last edited Feb 20, 2018 07:01AM) (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) --I am STILL on week 6. I am currently over half way finished with The Alchemist. I think it's great so far.

--It's nearing the end of February and I don't know about you all, but this is when I typically find my reading pace slowing down. I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania and the weather is supposed to be 50s/60s for one or two days this week. Instead of staying inside when I get home from work, I will be taking my son for a walk!

--I am so glad to have this challenge because I have a reading schedule to look forward to!!!

message 19: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Enjoy the nice weather! Looks like you are off to a good start and staying on track!

message 20: by ash | (last edited Feb 25, 2018 10:52AM) (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Tammy wrote: "Enjoy the nice weather! Looks like you are off to a good start and staying on track!"

Thank you! I am going to enjoy this weather! The snow that fell over the weekend is all melting :) I am enjoying the reading prompts and it's helping me finish many books that have been sitting on my shelf. Happy reading to you too~

message 21: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) I finished The Alchemist!! Loved it so much! I felt it was a hidden gem; a profound piece of fiction! It has since been my reminder to be more present, and to be more mindful.

I am nearing the last 30 pages of Wuthering Heights. And oh my-- I don't think I like any of the characters one bit but I LOVE the book!

I am strugggggggling to pick my next book for the prompt "own voices"!!! Off to scour the week 8 prompt thread during my kiddos nap time!!!

message 22: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) February Reads - I had a good reading month in terms of books that I felt were really good!!

5 Stars
The Good Earth
The Alchemist
Wuthering Heights

4/3/2 Stars
None!

1 Star
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

message 23: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) I've recently finished The Eyre Affair and The Kite Runner. I liked them both. The Kite Runner left more of an impression on me than the other. Up next, Alexandra Bracken's The Darkest Minds. As usual, I haven't read any books that came out within the year. I reallly reallllly want to read Circe and Legendary. One of my personal reading goals was to read 18 books in honor of 2018.

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Oh kite runner is one of my all time favorite books!!! Glad you enjoyed it!! I am not a rereader normally but really need to revisit this book!!!

message 25: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Kelly wrote: "Oh kite runner is one of my all time favorite books!!! Glad you enjoyed it!! I am not a rereader normally but really need to revisit this book!!!"

It was really really good! Someone just recommended A Book Reader's Journey after hearing that I loved the kite runner. I just added it to my list.

message 26: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Roooooling through the books this weeekend!! I am FINALLY Back ON TRACK!! Whoop, whoop!

message 27: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) I am also really surprising myself with this challenge. All but ONE book read for this challenge has been from my massive book library. I didn't have The Good Earth on me so I borrowed for free on my Kindle.

message 28: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 738 comments Goooo Ashley!

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Ashley wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Oh kite runner is one of my all time favorite books!!! Glad you enjoyed it!! I am not a rereader normally but really need to revisit this book!!!"

It was really really good! Someone ..."
I will have to check out that book recommendation!!

message 30: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Back to finishing up The Poisonwood Bible after I took a small little break to finish The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself on my kindle. I got in the kindle reading mood at night this week. No biggie.. I just go with the floooow :)

message 31: by ash | (last edited Apr 02, 2018 03:00PM) (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) MARCH Reading

5 Star
The Essential Guide to Crystals, Minerals and Stones my go-to crystal book in my magical toolbox
The Time Machine Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant.
The Pearl a powerful story/parable
The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself on its own level of awesomeness

4 Star
The Kite Runner a heartbreaking book that touches on very complex themes
The Darkest Minds a really good start to this series; sets up a really interesting dystopian world

3 Star
The Eyre Affair a marvelously fun read.. and a little bit of Jane Eyre mixed in... that was the selling point for me picking this book up and did not disappoint
In Time a quick novella between books 1 & 2 in which Alexandra breaks your heart... that ending!!!!

2 Star
Feel Free to Prosper: Two Weeks to Unexpected Income with the Simplest Prosperity Laws Available the author didn't click with me but the prosper program really DOES work

1 Star
none

message 32: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) April so far.....
The Poisonwood Bible in paperback (LOVE LOVE SO FAR)
and
Gods of Howl Mountain on my kindle (realllly engrossing so far--- 1950s North Carolina.. family secrets... whiskey running... folk healers
I'd say my month is starting out reallllllllly good with reading choices!

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments How did you do the strikethrough? No matter how many things I try I cannot get it

Ashley wrote: " 2018 Personal Reading Goals
I will add the books here as I complete them to hold myself accountable

5 classics ~ 4/5
The Good Earth
Wuthering Heights
[book:The Pearl|..."

How did you do the strikethrough? No matter how many things I try I cannot get it

message 34: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1428 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "How did you do the strikethrough? No matter how many things I try I cannot get it

If you're on mobile, I don't think it works. If you're on a computer, you will write < s > (without the spaces) before what you want to strike through. At the end of the strike through, you will also write < s >, but before the s add a /. Hopefully that is clear!

message 35: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Thanks Jackie for helping out! Hope that helps Jessica!!

message 36: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Update: The Poisonwood Bible IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ. Gods of Howl Mountain was goooood too.

Next up ----> The Fiery Cross in paperback and We Are Legion (We Are Bob) on my kindle.

message 37: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Kelly wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Oh kite runner is one of my all time favorite books!!! Glad you enjoyed it!! I am not a rereader normally but really need to revisit this book!!!"

It was really really..."

Let me know if you get a chance to reading it. A few weeks ago, it was able to be borrowed for free on kindle using that amazon prime benefit.. I haven't checked since though.

message 38: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) April [I KNOW THIS IS TOTALLY LATE.. BUT LIFE.] Reading Summary

5 Star
The Poisonwood Bible THIS BOOK WAS EVERYTHING.

4 Star
Gods of Howl Mountain This one still stands out and it's been over a month since I read it. Whiskey running, southern family secrets... all of it was so good.

3 Star
Mindfulness for Children: Teach Mindfulness to Kids and Teens This was helpful as I begin to implement mindfulness at work.

2 Star
None

1 Star
Unexpected Prize I'd just avoid this one.

message 39: by ash | (last edited May 19, 2018 12:38PM) (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) YIKES! It has been over a full month since I posted. I work in a school district as a speech-language pathologist and the end of the year is always soooooooooooooooooo busy for me as we finish up assessments and meetings and servicing students.

I have STILL been reading though :-) I hit a milestone in life.. I turned 30 at the beginning of May!!!!! My husband surprised me with 30 books for turning 30!! I was actually pretty shocked because he always jokes that I "read too much" hahaha So he actually stalked my goodreads "i need" shelf and bought be five paperbacks and then surprised me with the amazon/kindle unlimited thing and that is where the rest of the 30 books came from!! I am totally set for summer now!!!

I currently have a few books in progress. My before-bed-lights-off kindle read is Space Opera. My book that stays in the car is Warp. My daytime-bathtime read is The Fiery Cross. It's so funny how sometimes I go through phases where I can only read one book at a time, and then other times [like now] when I rotate depending on location and convenience lol try holding a thousand page book like The Firey Cross while laying in bed side nursing... darn near impossible.. I've tried. hahah The kindle works perfectly during these moments!

I hope you enjoyed my little update!

message 40: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1350 comments I am listening to Space Opera this month too. It looks like a funny read.

message 41: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Anastasia wrote: "I am listening to Space Opera this month too. It looks like a funny read."

I agree. It's one of those books where I just want to keep reading to see what happens next!

message 42: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) MAY Summary

5 Star
Gemina Book 2 in the Illuminae Files series. This series is beyond amazing. I used this book for the "unique structure" prompt because all three books are unique reading experiences with the way the story is written [through emails, medical reports, hacked docs, interviews, chatroom's, etc!]
We Are Legion (We Are Bob) Stop what you're doing and hop on the Bobwagon!!!!!! This book brings the love back into modern science fiction!!!

4 Star
None

3 Star
Pleiadian Prophecy 2020: The New Golden Age There were some early prophecies that do appear to be aligning; while others have yet to be revealed
Space Opera My mind was so hyped from the book blurb but it ended up just being "okay" -- When I reflect back on 2018, this book may top my list of biggest disappointments...

2 Star
Warp The author presented a story with a tone that left the biggest impact for me. I just couldn't star this book any higher because the story felt so unfinished.

1 Star
None

message 43: by ash | (last edited Jun 02, 2018 11:44AM) (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) I am SO behind on my weekly list.

I'm starting week 16 prompt right now. I started slacking with the prompts around mid April. This is typically when I begin my reading slump-- right around the time when my school lets out for the summer and I am busy with end of the year paperwork. In order to avoid my reading slump, I started just picking some random books here and there that I REALLY REALLY wanted to read so now I have a pretty good momentum heading into the summer months.

I am halfway through The Song of Achilles and I am currently still reading The Fiery Cross as my big read.

I just need to choose a book for the narrative nonfiction

message 44: by ash | (new)

ash | (novellyrooted) Whoops!! Instead of beginning my next "narrative nonfiction" book-- I ended up picking The Red Tent on a whim, forgetting all about that next challenge. I have decided that I will most likely read Into the Wild next!