Play Book Tag discussion

The Last Black Unicorn
This topic is about The Last Black Unicorn
December 2017: Social Issues > The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish
4 stars

**Note: This is maybe a bit of a stretch for social issues, but Haddish has lived through child abuse, the foster system, and domestic violence, and definitely comments on how those have impacted her, so I am counting it!

I had mixed feelings about this book. Not because it was bad, but because it was funny (as expected) and Haddish's childhood and early adulthood was sad/upsetting (not as expected). More than anything though, I give her credit for airing all her sordid past and not holding back. I have respect for the way she has used humor to cope with her traumas.

It was a nice blend of stories about her personal life and stories about making it/surviving in Hollywood. Haddish is definitely a little rough around the edges and she is an over-the-top storyteller, which adds humor to situations but at the same time can be a little grating.

Ultimately though, I think her story will connect with any number of people from those who were abused/neglected as children, those in the foster system, those that spent time homeless, to those that are DV victims. Haddish has seen it all.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments It worries me that I'm not familiar with who this person is. I even get People magazine just to make sure I don't end up one of those old people who doesn't know who any of the young actors or musicians are.

Apparently People is NOT doing its job.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments She has been on the comedy circuit for a bit, then was on a Tyler Perry show, but has really blown up this last year because she was in the movie Girls Trip with Jada Pinkett Smith and Queen Latifah.

This is a bit that she did on Kimmel when promoting the book, and the story is in the book too. It had me cracking up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Pne...

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Oh, I enjoyed that!! Thanks for helping me stay current. She's hysterical (and adorable).

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I like Tiffany Hadish, and have this book on my radar. I had no idea about her personal history, and past.

I recognize her form the comedy bits- @midnight, comedy central, whatnot. I think if you aren't familiar with her from there (I've never heard of Girls Trip), it would be east to not know who she is.