LATI Spring 2018 discussion

I LOVE Goodreads!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Fry | 3 comments I really rely on Goodreads as a means of keeping track of what I've read/listened to and what I want to read/listen to next. I tell customers about it all the time.

It's also a great way to find out more about an author. Plus, you can't beat it for quickly and easily figuring out the next book in a series or which book is in what series when an author has multiple series out.

message 2: by LATI (new)

LATI Coordinator (laticoordinator) | 1 comments Mod
Great, Tracy. It is a great social network tool that is a natural fit for librarians.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Delp | 5 comments The Marsh King's Daughter
Listening to digital audio of this book recommended by my co-worker. Captivating story!

message 4: by Anita (last edited Jan 26, 2018 07:29AM) (new)

Anita Delp | 5 comments The Handmaid's Tale
Reading ebook, intrigued by talk of the Hulu series. Creepy dystopian novel! I need to read something a little lighter next. Any suggestions?

message 5: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 14 comments Mod
Right now I am reading The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls (I loved her memoir The Glass Castle). I usually am reading one book and listening to another but I am waiting on several holds for my audio books, so I'm doing podcasts while I wait.

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison (hardbackhoarder) Right now I am reading Red Rising! Also, if you click on the members page on the group's home you can see what everyone is reading on their goodreads :)

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 14 comments Mod
It's also really fun at the end of the year to look at all the books you have read. :)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments Right now I am reading Final Girls and Two Girls Down.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Zuckerman | 4 comments Lisa wrote: "Right now I am reading Final Girls and Two Girls Down."

Final Girls sounds great, Lisa. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 10: by Jenna (last edited Feb 09, 2018 10:57AM) (new)

Jenna | 3 comments American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West

I am trying to read the book American Wolf. We will see... lots of real-life 'wolfy' heartbreak, but I am determined to try. I got to see a real rescued wolf that was brought into my high school when I was teaching in Colorado. I was hooked when I saw its golden eyes, sigh.

message 11: by Meg (new)

Meg (navbrat) | 13 comments Mod
I’m a sucker for the reader challenge! I’ve been really enjoying Goodreads for the social media aspects, as well. Following authors who are reviewing other books, finding new material I wouldn’t have otherwise picked up through my friends’ reviews, it’s a lot of fun!

message 12: by Ella (new)

Ella | 1 comments I joined for the same reason as Tracy; I wanted to keep track of what I read and what I wanted to read. Since then, though, it's been a casual way of keeping up with my favorite authors.

message 13: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 14 comments Mod
Authors are also a great place to find more reading suggestions. :)

message 14: by Jennika (new)

Jennika | 1 comments I joined Goodreads to keep track of what I am reading and have a friendly competition with my son to see who is reading more. I like Goodreads because it's user friendly and easy to navigate.

message 15: by Judy (last edited Mar 12, 2018 12:30PM) (new)

Judy | 5 comments I like good reads for keeping track of the books I've read and especially for the books I want to read. It beats a paper list that I usually end up losing. However, I'm really not one for social media and do find that only occasionally do I login to update what I'm currently reading or have finished reading. I don't like sharing what I read, because I prefer to keep that private.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica | 4 comments Hi all! I love Goodreads too. I'm surprised how many folks don't know about it. I even have the app and use it all of the time. It's great to use when browsing at a book store to jot down books I want to read. Currently, I'm reading "The Hate U Give" for LATI (Session 12). I can see why it earned so many awards--it's excellent!

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy | 5 comments Hello! After reading your message I decided to install the Goodreads app. This is a much better way to search books while at a book store. I usually jot titles down and then misplace them when needed, so this should help tremendously; and may even get me using Goodreads more often. The more I use it the more I like it!

message 18: by Lana (new)

Lana | 1 comments Judy wrote: "Hello! After reading your message I decided to install the Goodreads app. This is a much better way to search books while at a book store. I usually jot titles down and then misplace them when need..."

What a great idea! Previously I used my Amazon wishlist to keep track of books I want to remember to read, but I think Goodreads would be a much better place for that. I hadn't thought of using the app for that - I will certainly try that now!

message 19: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Jenkins | 3 comments Judy wrote: "I like good reads for keeping track of the books I've read and especially for the books I want to read. It beats a paper list that I usually end up losing. However, I'm really not one for social me..."

< I didn't know the app existed. Thanks for letting us know!

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments The app is great! You can just scan the ISBN and the book is added to your "want to read" list.

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Jenkins | 3 comments Thanks for the update. I will give it a try!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments I downloaded the app because of all of the comments here. I really like it! The only problem is my to be read list is going to be so long because it is so easy to scan in a book. This will definitely solve my problem of having scraps of paper with book titles that I eventually lose and forget.

message 23: by Anita (new)

Anita Delp | 5 comments Thanks for the information abut the app. I just downloaded it, and I can't wait to start using it!

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 2 comments I had no idea there was an app. I'm going to go download it. Thanks everyone!!!

message 25: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (xyzm) | 1 comments I love Goodreads and use it, even though I have not gotten myself in the habit of posting everything I read. I keep a reading list on my library account but think it is time to move it to Goodreads. If I do, I will be able to easily look at what I have read when doing readers advisory!

message 26: by LaSara (new)

LaSara Kinser | 1 comments Since I started at the library I've been using Goodreads a lot more. I usually have it up in a tab on the circ computer when I'm checking in books just in case I see one I want to add lol. I have the app too, which is helpful when I'm somewhere browsing and I want more information on a book. I also love updating my progress and sometimes when I'm struggling to finish a book, the prospect of shading in the progress tracker is what keeps me going lol.