Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

2018 Historical Mystery Clue > Patricia's Clue

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (last edited Dec 26, 2017 07:20AM) (new)

Patricia | 136 comments Category #3 Weapons
Task #4 Wrench--Read a book with a wrench on the cover or whose cover shows anything that might be purchased in a hardware store

Suggestions appreciated.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1631 comments Mod
Any books with keys would also work, as would
light bulbs or candles, baskets or door knobs, etc.

Here are a couple but you can also look up historical cozy mysteries in the genre search and find others.

Dead Man's Folly (Hercule Poirot #31) by Agatha Christie This House is Haunted by John Boyne Snobbery with Violence by Marion Chesney

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments Thanks, Lauren!

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments I have Dead Man's Folly on hold at the library, but now I'm thinking that doesn't qualify as historical fiction?

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Patricia wrote: "I have Dead Man's Folly on hold at the library, but now I'm thinking that doesn't qualify as historical fiction?"

For the purposes of the group and the challenge, it does. From the rules:

• Definition of historical mystery for this challenge: Any book whose central plot involves a crime of any type (murder, robbery, espionage, etc.) and takes place at any point that is at least 50 years in the past. This includes works set in a time period that is historical from the author’s perspective (for example, The Cadfael Chronicles by Ellis Peters) as well as books written in the past from our perspective and set during the author’s lifetime (for example, Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie).

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments Thanks, Lauren. I didn't know about the second part.--I did pick up the audio book today. Of course, the cover is different, but I will still listen to it. They had a paperback copy as well, but the cover on that was totally different as well.

As a backup, I picked up A Stranger in Mayfair. Keys all over that one.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Patricia wrote: "Thanks, Lauren. I didn't know about the second part.--I did pick up the audio book today. Of course, the cover is different, but I will still listen to it. They had a paperback copy as well, but th..."

Sure thing.
The cover is fine as long as it exists on GR.

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments I finished the audio of Dead Man's Folly. I liked it okay.

For next round: Category 3 Weapons; Task 6 Revolver
Read a book with any type of gun on the cover or with Ready; Aim; Fire; etc on cover.

I'm looking. TBA

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments I'm considering Girl Waits with Gun. Or Dark Fire. Would definitely be Dark Fire if I had already read Dissolution. Decisions, decisions.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1054 comments I quite liked Girl Waits with Gun, but not sure if it is really a mystery - I think everyone knows the culprit from the beginning. I recommend it though.

My boyfriend suggested searching the hard-boiled American 1940's detectives for books with guns on the cover: Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett and such. I haven't yet. And they are probably a good source when we have to find a cover with glamorous woman.

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments Some people on goodreads put it in the historical mystery category. Not sure if I really want to read it or not, but I put it on hold at the library, so I'll look it over & decide.--Found another with a great cover: Murder in July, but I don't think my library has it. I'll keep looking.

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 218 comments Patricia wrote: "Some people on goodreads put it in the historical mystery category. Not sure if I really want to read it or not, but I put it on hold at the library, so I'll look it over & decide.--Found another w..."

Barbara Hambly is terrific - I love that series. I love all her series.

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments Good to know. I think I read the first one years ago. Hopefully, some of her others books will meet the criteria at some point!

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments I'm not doing too well at this game. I've started two different books for one with a gun on the cover. Am currently reading The Woman in the Camphor Trunk: An Anna Blanc Mystery. I like the story, but the main character is awfully silly and hard to take (for me). I'll give it another night or two.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Patricia wrote: "I'm not doing too well at this game. I've started two different books for one with a gun on the cover. ."

Sorry about that, Patricia.
Hope you find one you enjoy :(

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments That's the way it is sometimes, Lauren. I like trying new authors, but I do have a stack of books I want to read, so hope I can fit some of them in with the game.

Finished The Woman in the Camphor Trunk: An Anna Blanc Mystery. 3 stars. I think I might like this in audio better, so if my library has the first in the series, I might look for it at some point.

For my second round: Category 4--Rooms; Task 1--Kitchen.
Thanks to Tracy's pinterest board, I have a couple I'm going to see if I already have, so stay tuned.

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments I have checked out Ode to a Banker (Marcus Didius Falco, #12) by Lindsey Davis , but not sure this qualifies for kitchen. Lauren? There's a table and some jugs, but I don't know that they're in a kitchen. I have the audio version for hoopla, so can't really see any better than you can here.

message 18: by Lauren (last edited Feb 23, 2018 07:20AM) (new)

Patricia wrote: "I have checked out Ode to a Banker (Marcus Didius Falco, #12) by Lindsey Davis, but not sure this qualifies for kitchen. Lauren? There's a table and some jugs, but I don't know that they're in a kitchen. I have the audio..."

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, I don't think that it works for Kitchen. There is a scroll on the table which means that it would work for study.

ETA: I've looked at some of the other covers for the book and they all of ink or writing utensils on them so it definitely works for study and not kitchen.

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 136 comments Ok; that's kind of what I thought. Enjoying the audio anyway!

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Patricia wrote: "Ok; that's kind of what I thought. Enjoying the audio anyway!"

Glad to hear!