Play Book Tag discussion

Small Great Things
This topic is about Small Great Things
December 2017: Social Issues > Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Despite Ruth Johnson's 20+ years of experience as a labor and delviery nurse, white supremist parents Turk and Brittany Bauer insist she not attend to their newborn baby. Ruth's supervisor notes the wishes in patient's chart and directs Ruth to not care for the child. When a medical emergency happens and Ruth is the only one available to give care she has to make a decision. Suddenly Ruth finds herself on trial for murder.

I use to read a lot of Picoult's work. I enjoyed the early work where she would take a controversial subject and present different points of view that while you may not agree with you at least felt like you gained some insight on opposing views. She seemed to move away from that structure for a while and this work has a hint of that again. But, let's face it, the Bauer's views are indefensible. But it was a fascinating story at a time that many of these issues are discussed in the public realm. I didn't find the characters to have as much depth as some of her previous work. But overall I really enjoyed the story. I thought the relationship between Ruth and her attorney was the highlight of the book. I'm glad I read it.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8524 comments Glad you liked it! It was a favorite of mine and I'm a great lover of Jodi Piccoult.