Historical Fictionistas discussion

Challenges > Centuries Winter Challenge 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (last edited Dec 26, 2017 06:44PM) (new)

Jasmine | 1249 comments Mod
First challenge of the new year. This challenge will focus on reading through the centuries! Participation is just for fun. Participants will attempt to read a book set in each century, spanning from BCE to the 21st century. This challenge will span from January 1st to March 31st. Sign-ups begin December 26, 2017.

RULES:
1) Books must be at least 200 pages long. Eligibility for this is determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads. If the most popular edition is 197 pages, it will not count, even if the edition read is 215 pages.

2) The first book used for the challenge should be started on or after January 1st.

3) Audiobooks are accepted. Page numbers are determined by most popular edition on GoodReads.

4) Book should be historical fiction or nonfiction. Fantasy or like genres will not fulfill the timeline requirements.

5) Participates can join at any time during the challenge.

SCORING / HOW IT WORKS:
1) Upon sign-up each participant will post an empty list of each century spanning from the BCE to the 21st Century,. This list will be filled in as participants read novels to fulfill each century requirement. (Books do not have to be read in any type of chronological order).
2) Each book that fulfills a century will be counted as 10 points. You can only read one book for each century. Books can be nonfiction or fiction.

3) Winter theme bonuses: You can claim 5 point bonus for each of the following. You can only claim each bonus once during the challenge. You may only claim one bonus per book.
a. Read a book set in winter.
b. Read a book with a winter scene on the cover.
c. Read a book where one of the author's initials is in the word WINTER.
d. Read a book set in North America.
e. Read a book set in South America.
f. Read a book set in Europe.
g. Read a book set in Africa.
h. Read a book set in Asia.
I. Read a book set in Australia.

4) Book Length Bonus:
Bonus points will be awarded based on the length of each book read, as follows:
200 to 300 pages = 2 bonus points
301 to 500 pages = 4 bonus points
501 to 750 pages = 6 bonus points
751 to 1,000 pages = 8 bonus points
1,000+ = 10 bonus points

A Light Between Oceans
20th Century-10 points
343 pages- 4 points
Bonus I: 5 points
Total: 19 points

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 22 comments If the challenge spans from Jan 1 - March 31, are we not allowed to read books in January for the challenge? (re: Rule #2)

message 3: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

I will edit that when I get home. It should say January 1st.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris | 521 comments Small point of clarification. One place the centuries are identified as the 1st - 20thC; in another it is BCE - 21stC. Which are you using?

message 5: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

BCE-21st. I will go back and change that as well. Thanks.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8026 comments I’m looking forward to this!!

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris | 521 comments Another question. If the book is set in New Zealand?

message 8: by Viji (new)

Viji | 244 comments I want to see how many books I could complete for this challenge! Last year I could read some nice historical fiction for the TBR Summer Challenge.

I am in.

message 9: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Chris wrote: "Another question. If the book is set in New Zealand?"

I'd count it as Australia.

message 10: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Viji wrote: "I want to see how many books I could complete for this challenge! Last year I could read some nice historical fiction for the TBR Summer Challenge.

I am in."

I do find it helps to motivate me to read more.

message 11: by Louise (new)

Louise | 4435 comments I’m in!

message 12: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 972 comments I'm in as well. I fell off my reading wagon in late November, so it's time to crank it up!

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanconder) | 68 comments Can we count books that are not historical fiction but set in the century in which they were written? We’ll have to do that for the 21st century, but could we use something like Jane Eyre, set in the time frame in which it was written, for the 19th century?

message 14: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Susan wrote: "Can we count books that are not historical fiction but set in the century in which they were written? We’ll have to do that for the 21st century, but could we use something like Jane Eyre, set in t..."

Yes. Since I included the 21st century this time I don't expect everything to be historical fiction (at least not by our definition).

message 15: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Good challenge. I wonder if I've even covered all the centuries in my 40+ years of reading! I assume there is a list somewhere to help with some of the tougher centuries.

message 16: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Nancy wrote: "Good challenge. I wonder if I've even covered all the centuries in my 40+ years of reading! I assume there is a list somewhere to help with some of the tougher centuries."

I don't have a master list, but I did just google books set in the 2nd century and found this list from the historical novel society. https://historicalnovelsociety.org/ce...

I may try to create a list now that you mentioned it. Thank you for the suggestion.

message 17: by Kaydee (new)

Kaydee Barker (kaydeebarker) | 259 comments Great challenge idea! I think I'll try it!

message 18: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 345 comments This challenge looks very interesting. How do I join

message 19: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (last edited Jan 04, 2018 05:09AM) (new)

Maureen wrote: "This challenge looks very interesting. How do I join"

Just sign up on the reading list page and start reading. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There is a separate thread for you to post your scores as well.

message 20: by Viji (new)

Viji | 244 comments Jasmine wrote: "Viji wrote: "I want to see how many books I could complete for this challenge! Last year I could read some nice historical fiction for the TBR Summer Challenge.

I am in."

I do find it helps to m..."

Thanks, Jasmine.

message 21: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8026 comments I’ve just read Homegoing It is a family saga starting in the late seventeen hundreds and ends in 1960s I’ve classed it as 19th Century. Is that correct?

message 22: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

It would be 20th Century.

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8026 comments Why 20th Century? Most of the book is 18th and 19th Century slave era?

message 24: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8026 comments So do we classify a book by the most recent date it includes?

message 25: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Sorry I just saw 1960 in your comment. Reading it over again you can choose what you want to classify it as given those three centuries that it takes place in.

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8026 comments Thanks

message 27: by Gabrielle (last edited Jan 14, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments Sorry Jasmine, I don't understand these phrases:

"This challenge will span from January 1st to March 31st."
Does this mean that we have to read all these books in three months time?

And the phrase:
"Sign-ups begin December 26, 2017."
May I join today, or is it too late?

And can one book be named in three different categories:
18th century
d. Read a book set in North America.
and
301 to 500 pages = 4 bonus points
for example?

message 28: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

You can join at any time. If you can read a book from every century that is great, but if not that is fine too. You read as many as you can. This is meant to simply motivate you.

The categories are the centuries. The bonus are added to a book. So one book could cover the category 18th Century and you could add the bonuses set in North America and the page bonus. Does that help clarify?

message 29: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments Jasmine wrote: "You can join at any time. If you can read a book from every century that is great, but if not that is fine too. You read as many as you can. This is meant to simply motivate you.

The categories ar..."

Absolutely, thank you, Jasmine: I have one year to read as many books as I can, and I musn't use books I already read and reviewed.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris | 521 comments Gabrielle wrote: Absolutely, thank you, Jasmine: I have one year to read as many books as I can, and I musn't use books I already read and reviewed.

Just a little more clarification. The challenge is only for 3 months Jan through the end of Mar. And the bonuses that are identified by letter i.e a) a book set in winter, can only be used once in the entire challenge

message 31: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments Chris wrote: "Gabrielle wrote: Absolutely, thank you, Jasmine: I have one year to read as many books as I can, and I musn't use books I already read and reviewed.

Just a little more clarification. The challeng..."

Through the end of March?
I'm dead! :D

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris | 521 comments Gabrielle wrote: "Through the end of March?

Yes, through the end of March. I didn't do this one last year because it intimidated me. But after the 50 bk TBR challenge last year, I realized just do what you can. The hunt for some books to fill the category is part of the fun in addition to interesting reads of course :) !!

message 33: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments Chris wrote: "Gabrielle wrote: "Through the end of March?

Yes, through the end of March. I didn't do this one last year because it intimidated me. But after the 50 bk TBR challenge last year, I r..."

Yes, Chris, the hunt for some books has been a "casse-tête chinois" (a difficult and almost insoluble thing) for me! Because I read in French, so when I found a book which matched, I had to check if it was available in english translation, to take the most popular edition and checking the number of pages!
But I filled my list, only 4 or 5 books are not found yet.

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris | 521 comments Good for you, Gabrielle!!

message 35: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments Ah, ah! :D
I read today The Princess of Montpensier by Madame de La Fayette for my 17th century book.
I didn't like it at all, but finished it because of the challenge.
Once finished and the review written, I realized that all books of the challenge had to be at least 200 pages... this book is too short!
Isn't this stupid? :)

message 36: by Louise (new)

Louise | 4435 comments Gabrielle wrote: "Ah, ah! :D
I read today The Princess of Montpensier by Madame de La Fayette for my 17th century book.
I didn't like it at all, but finished it because of the challen..."

Oh no Gabrielle! That’s frustrating.

message 37: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (ReneeGraceThompson) | 6 comments Gabrielle wrote: "Ah, ah! :D
I didn't like it at all, but finished it because of the challen..."

Oh, man, that's such a bummer.
Well, hopefully you learned something. Just looking for some little gem in the use of your time.

message 38: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments Louise wrote: "Gabrielle wrote: "Ah, ah! :D
I didn't like it at all, but finished it beca..."

Thank you, Louise, you're as kind as Louise, the heroine of Mistress Mine!
It doesn't matter, you always learn something!

message 39: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments Renee wrote: "Gabrielle wrote: "Ah, ah! :D
I didn't like it at all, but finished it beca..."

Thank you, Renee the champion!
Yes, I learned something, as I said to Louise.
My first choice for 17th century was Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand . I'll start it tonight, after dinner!

message 40: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments Bonsoir Jasmine,
May one of the book be a play?
I'd like to read Hernani by Victor Hugo, is it possible, please, or must I choose another one for the 16th century?

message 41: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

A play sounds fine.

message 42: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments Jasmine wrote: "A play sounds fine."

Great, thanks, Jasmine!

message 43: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

You are welcome to join now!

And yes, that would be a 19th century book.

message 44: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Jasmine wrote: "You are welcome to join now!

And yes, that would be a 19th century book."

Thanks I got another question about ebooks I take it I can use them but when listing for points and stuff is that ok to use +1000 cause most of them are or do I need to list it as a paperback? Thanks

message 45: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Joanne wrote: "Jasmine wrote: "You are welcome to join now!

Thanks I got another question about ebooks I take it I can use them but when listing for points and stu..."

Are you referring to the points for the page count or just for linking the book?

message 46: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Jasmine wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Jasmine wrote: "You are welcome to join now!

Thanks I got another question about ebooks I take it I can use them but when listing for..."

Points for the page count

message 47: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

For the page count use the page count listed in the paperback/hardback version.

message 48: by Joanne (last edited Feb 20, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

Joanne Jasmine wrote: "For the page count use the page count listed in the paperback/hardback version."

Ok thanks I went with that

message 49: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 116 comments I've just finished Charlemagne by Matthias Becher
I read it in English and this was not fun, and 9th century is not what I like, but I was happy I had finished it ... then I checked: only 180 pages! Oh no!

message 50: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Gabrielle wrote: "I've just finished Charlemagne by Matthias Becher
I read it in English and this was not fun, and 9th century is not what I like, but I was happy I had finished it ......"

Ugh. No fun. I'm sorry.