Goodreads Reviewers' Group discussion

Review Requests > Pain free review swap request for Kraken the Ruthless

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Brooks (cadwallon) | 6 comments My recently published eBook Kraken the Ruthless is historical fiction set in the first half of the 18th Century. I am a co-author of the work interested in swapping reviews of (at least) the Amazon 'Look Inside' section (see below).

Brief synopsis
In 1734, Lieutenant Daniel Sutherland, a young fisherman recruited to the Royal Navy for his skill in handling small vessels, breaks all the unwritten society rules by falling in love with a serving maid named Grace. His secret is discovered by Julius Blackard, the son of a lord, and expert swordsman, who takes pleasure in provoking Daniel to a duel during a formal mess dinner.

When Julius is soundly beaten and humiliated in front of his noble friends, he begins plotting his horrific revenge.

A while later, both officers find themselves separately assigned to tracking down a ruthless pirate known only as Kraken who is disrupting essential Caribbean trade. This ‘beast’ is the talk of the taverns for seemingly devouring whole ships and leaving nothing in its wake apart from a few crazed survivors who burble nonsense about being attacked by monsters risen from Hell.

Of course, the British are not the only ones working to eliminate the problem. The French send a beautiful yet untried agent, whilst the Spanish assign a dashing, if womanising, administrator.

Then, there is the drunken Scotsman who is deeply involved, somehow...

En route to the inevitable showdown, these operatives have to deal with one another and a host of wonderful, if sometimes despicable, characters.

All in all, this is a fast paced, rollicking adventure tale.

Review Swap Request

If Kraken the Ruthless sounds like a book you might enjoy, please read the free 'Look Inside' section on Amazon.

If you find this appealing and would like me to read the free section of your work, then do get in touch.
gordon.of.gosport@gmail.com

If we are both still happy, then my suggestion is for us to swap reviews on Amazon, highlighting themes, style, plot, characters or whatever else we really enjoyed, ending perhaps with a comment that the full work is on our reading list.

If one of us does not find the work of the other to their taste, then to avoid any mutual pain or harm we simply don't post any reviews.

In this way, only honest positive reviews are exchanged. Potentially hurtful reviews don't get written. No readers are misled, and no one feels pressured to write nice things about a book that doesn't grab them.

If things don't work out, we just wait for another reviewer to come along...

Of course, if we both really love each other's work then we should go further and swap reviews of free or paid for versions of the whole book.

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Brooks (cadwallon) | 6 comments Hi again, if you like the idea of swapping pain free reviews of the look inside section of your work with other authors, I've set up a group where people can exchange details of their publications.

message 3: by Gordon (last edited Dec 28, 2017 03:15AM) (new)

Gordon Brooks (cadwallon) | 6 comments Our new co-authored historical fiction novel Kraken the Ruthless, set in the first half of the 18th Century (at the time of the bizarre War of Jenkins’ Ear), is free on Amazon today and tomorrow (28th, 29th December).

'Stop Press': We just received our first Amazon review of the whole novel from a US reader who has kindly awarded the ebook 5 stars. Happy sigh - Makes the hard formatting and re-checking work worthwhile.

If you download Kraken the Ruthless (or just take a look inside), I really hope you enjoy reading it as much as we loved reporting the manic activities of the larger-than-life characters who inhabit its electronic pages.

Season's Greetings,

Gordon

message 4: by Trish (new)

Trish Butler | 29 comments Just got it - thank you.

Not sure when I will get around to reading it, but when I do, I will be sure to review it.

Thanks.

Trish
Trish Butler

message 5: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Brooks (cadwallon) | 6 comments Trish, I do hope you enjoy the adventure, if/when you get time to dip in.
If you have anything for me to review, do let me know.

Best wishes,
G