The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > Good Books by- Charlaine Harris

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Paul | 13 comments Hi all!!! I like to read Mysteries a bunch. Obviously- lol- since I'm in this group, right?! Anyways, on the 23rd I just finished:

Shakespeare's Trollop
By: Charlaine Harris

I'll try & attach a link to the book!!! I like (d) it VERY much & it's also the first of her books I've ever read. Anyways though, my question to you all here is this: Do any of you guys have any recommendations for me of her other books that are really good/you've enjoyed?! Just curious. Thanks SO very much again & also- Happy Reading to you all. Take care!!! ;--)Shakespeare's Trollop

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 09, 2018 07:23PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Hi, she has written several series. She used to be the first author I turned to after a tough school year, just for fun.

Her earlier books are more wholesome and clean. The Aurora Teagarden series is pretty good. Try one of these:
Sweet And Deadly Real Murders

Her more recent books are mostly paranormal. Start with Dead until Dark if you want more sex, vampires, and humor.Dead Until Dark

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1528 comments I read Shakespeare's Landlord for Arkansas in my 50 state mystery challenge. My review and others, see.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments NancyJ wrote: "Hi, she has written several series. She used to be the first author I turned to after a tough school year, just for fun.

Her earlier books are more wholesome and clean. The Aurora Teagarden serie..."

I have never read Charlaine Harris, but I love the Aurora Teagarden series on Hallmark Movies.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill I'm one of those who didn't enjoy the Aurora Teagarden books, having said that I only read two. I really enjoyed the Shakespeare books, great series. The Harper Connelly series is also excellent and the Midnight Texas books.. And if you like fantasy, the Sookie books are very entertaining...

message 6: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Interesting, Bill. She wrote the Shakespeare books?

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill Skye wrote: "Interesting, Bill. She wrote the Shakespeare books?"

She did indeed.

message 8: by NancyJ (last edited Feb 06, 2018 01:09PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Charlaine Harris creates really interesting characters and communities. I've read most of her books, starting with the earlier ones. My favorites were the Sookie Stackhouse and Harper Connelly series. I'm not connecting as much with Midnight Texas, but I'm still reading the series.

It's hard to imagine that the wholesome Hallmark movies (with Aurora Teagarden), and the daring HBO TrueBlood series (with Sookie Stackhouse) were both based on Harris' books.

I think the Sookie Stackhouse series was popular because she mixed elements from a lot of different genres, not just mystery and paranormal. There was something for everyone. She showed small town life, vampire night life, and more kinds of diversity than I could imagine. I loved the humor, the personalities, the psychological dimensions, and the unexpected plot lines. There was even interesting historical fiction with vampire flashbacks to interesting times in history. There were some character you could relate to in some way. The books were much tamer than TrueBlood, which ramped up the intensity of the sex, violence and drama.

I also recommend her short story anthologies, with stories from mystery and paranormal writers, all around a key theme. It's a great way to get exposed to different authors. Death's Excellent Vacation, An Apple for the Creature are just two of the books.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments I second the Aurora Teagarden series. Light, fun, murder-y reads. the movies are great too!

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thank you for your input: Bill, Nancy, and Amy. I checked her site and I am just astounded at how much she wrote; so many books of various genres.