Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Prepping for the New Year

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Hi all,
As we start to get nearer to the new year, I'll be moving all the old content into archives. If you are still using your 2017 random lists or other 2017 content please be sure to bookmark any topics (e.g., your 2017 random list topic) so that you can easily find it once I move it into archives.

On Jan 1 I will move all the 2018 folders to the top and will delete 2017 folders and move their content inside to archives. Anyone who wants to locate past BOTM discussions, past seasonal discussions, or annual read discussions will be able to find them in the "past BOTM" folder or "past seasonal/annual folders.' Those folders have been created to help us find and keep track of all our discussions.

message 2: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3873 comments Mod
As we come to the close of 2018, I will be cleaning up a bit. Somethings will go away for every, some to archives, some to folders for past BOTM, etc.

A revised participation points, and information on how to earn participation points are on the way.

Fast points are gone this year but feel free to post discussions of a general nature here in this folder.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1206 comments Mod
I love the new masthead photo.

message 4: by Kristel (new)

Thanks Diane, I was disappointed that the spines are all so bland. I may update it periodically. That is a picture of one of my “read shelf’s for 1001 books”

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Shuva wrote: "Do we have a list of The List anywhere? I couldn't find it. I remember over at shelfari it used to be part of the group description and if one clicked on the '...more' it dropped down to show the l..."

The List is in the general folder but it is not updated with the most recent additions. Here is the link https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 6: by Kristel (new)

Shuva wrote: "Thank you, Kristel! This is what I was looking for."

I added the new ones.

message 7: by Kristel (new)

Gail asked if we will be doing diversity reading challenge next year. I was thinking maybe there was too much to do here and was going to drop the other challenge. But maybe I should ask;
Do you want a second challenge? Yes or No
If Yes, what would you like;
Diversity, Globe Trott, or something new like a Tag (topic for each month)?

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1231 comments I have really enjoyed the diversity reading and discussions but probably could only do the new Tag topic or Diversity topic rather than both. I am interested in what other people think too.

message 9: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1325 comments I have enjoyed the Diversity challenge. It means there are 4 books to read each month, but as I have already read 2 of the Quarterly Reads I would like the challenge to Read more 1001 titles. İt is interesting to find out about different diversity issues.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I also enjoyed the Diversity challenge. I think it really made us all think about things. Even finding that what we see as Diversity in one country may be an ethnocentric view to the rest of the world. The discussions have been excellent.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1206 comments Mod
Like others have said I liked the Diversity Challenge although I have not participated every month. Kristel, I would say make this a Admin decision. If there is too much going on in the group to run then don't offer it. I do think that Globe Trot or Tag options could have a diversity component to it. Hope this helps. Thanks for all you do.

message 12: by Kristel (new)

Okay, I am going to put something together and maybe I will try to make it a combination of diversity/globe trot.
There are 7 continents. I will present a continent every 2 months with a focus each month on a specific culture for that continent. I need to work out more details on how books will be selected and points but it will probably be similar to last year. Discussions will be similar to last year as well.

Here is the order of the continents
Jan/Feb: South America
March/Apr: North America
May/June: Asia
July/Aug: Australia
Sept Oct: Africa
Nov/Dec: Europe

If anyone has a fantastic idea that they would like to suggest. Feel free to do so.