Play Book Tag discussion

Americanah
This topic is about Americanah
December 2017: Social Issues > Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 6183 comments I am going to try to write a review that doesAmericanah justice as it took me so long to read and seriously set back my year's reading goals. It isn't the books fault, as I went to Pittsburgh at the beginning of the months for my mother's memorial service, my husband caught a horrible bug on the plane back and has been sick since, my washer died this weekend (of all times) . Enough of my whine festival, I'll have a little cheese with that, purchase a new washer and hopefully read the 4 books I need to make my goal.,,,Now on to the review.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is an ambitious book that discusses issues of racism, poverty, illegal immigration, culture and identity, but at its heart it is a romance, the love at first sight kind between the protagonist Ifemelu and her first love Obinze.

Adichie is a gifted author with profound insights which I found myself highlighting throughout the book. Ifemelu, immigrated to America to finish her college education, which was continually disrupted in Nigeria due to striking faculty. It was an uneasy transition, but she had an uncanny ability to see America and Americans clearly and she revealed what she saw in a blog about race and racism as seen through an immigrant's eye.

I loved Adichie's prose, I loved her insights, but about the underlying love story, I'm not so sure. My reading in slow spurts may have interfered with my pleasure of it, but I'm not so sure of that. I encourage others to read it and decide for themselves.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments Great review. I too gave it 4 stars. I thought the book was well done. Adichie is becoming one of my favorite, must-read authors. I did find this book pretty slow going too but rich and interesting.

Booknblues | 6183 comments Jen wrote: "Great review. I too gave it 4 stars. I thought the book was well done. Adichie is becoming one of my favorite, must-read authors. I did find this book pretty slow going too but rich and interesting."

Well life disrupted my way of reading it, so it was hard to tell the pacing of it. I enjoyed her descriptions and insights about Americans.

Susie | 4488 comments I greatly enjoyed this too. The audio was fabulous.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8846 comments I loved this one - one of my to favorites for the year. It was a great book group discussion too. I actually was moved by the love story.

Tracy (tstan) | 1207 comments I finally got to this one this year- and l agree with you all. Adichie is becoming a favorite author for me, too.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Americanah was only a three star book for me. I read it shortly after Bulawayo's We Need New Names which I thought caught the immigrant experience better. I also had issues with the underlying love stories - 3 total? I'd still like to read Purple Hibiscus as Half of a Yellow Sun was a favorite.

Booknblues | 6183 comments Denizen wrote: "Americanah was only a three star book for me. I read it shortly after Bulawayo's We Need New Names which I thought caught the immigrant experience better. I also had issues with the..."

I loved We Need New Names and although I gave both a 4 star rating , I would also rate it above Americanah. I think because New Names is more heartfelt and Americanah is intellectualized.

I think We Need New Names made my top 10 the year I read it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Annnddd, still haven't read this one. But I do have it on audio...

Booknblues | 6183 comments Nicole R wrote: "Annnddd, still haven't read this one. But I do have it on audio..."

Susie says the audio is great.

Susie | 4488 comments It is! I’ll have to read New Names soon. Thanks for the recommendation.