Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Its Christmas!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dls (last edited Dec 25, 2017 01:54PM) (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
Happy holidays to all of you!

I think I have read one too many saccharine holiday stories, so I’m sharing instead this, which captures the holidays as many of us are experiencing them. Hard to find toys, families as we know them, and heroic men using their best tools to save the day.

“We did it to him, you know.” Heroine blinked back tears. “We should have said, ‘Nephew, there’s no Santa, and there is not going to be a Mac Two under the tree on Christmas day, although we will do whatever we have to do to get you one as soon as possible because we love you and always will.’ We should have told him the truth. Hell, Evil Nemesis Friend told him the truth. Pretty damn bad when the only person you can trust is your Evil Nemesis.” You and me, Nephew.

“I hate the truth. Except this part.” Sister gestured to the Twinkletoes box. ”The part where you almost got yourself killed trying to get him that MacGuffin. The part where you bought me a Twinkletoes to make up for twenty years ago. The part where you’re fixing my gingerbread house. The part where we’ll take care of Nephew together tomorrow. I like that part of the truth.”

Heroine dropped the gumdrops and sat back next to her sister and Sister snuggled closer and put her head on Heroine’s shoulder. “Yeah,” Heroine said, patting her arm. “I like the part where you waited up for me, and did the boring part of the gingerbread house. And didn’t tell me I’m an idiot for still wanting a lying bastard.”

“So it’s not so bad,” sister said as the first gumdrop slid off the roof of the gingerbread house.

They watched for a minute while another slowly followed the first one.

Heroine thought about putting them back again and decided to let them slide. “What are we going to tell Nephew tomorrow?”

“How about ‘Maybe it fell off the sleigh?’” Sister said.

Heroine sighed. “Well, it beats, ‘Aunt Heroine had a Mac for you, but the United States government lied to her and took it away'.”

Heroine took a deep breath and opened the door.

“The thanks of a grateful nation are yours,’ Hero said, meeting her eyes and taking her breath away. “Now about us.”

“Us?” Heroine said, her voice cracking.

“Yeah, us. I know I really screwed you over last night.”

“Well, national security and all,” Heroine said.

He really hadn’t known about the codes in the Twinkletoes.

“But I keep my promises,” Hero said, his eyes steady on her.

“Good for you,” Heroine said.

He hadn’t known.

“I said you’d have this on Christmas morning.” Hero held out the other bag. "I know it’s a mess, but…”

Heroine took the bag and looked inside. “What the…” She pulled out the Mac One. The box was gone and the doll was battered and mangled, but it was her Mac. She squeezed it and it made a crackly sound. “What did you do to it?”

“They had to take a code machine out of it,” Hero said. “So I got some paper from the paper shredder and restuffed it. “

Heroine pulled up the Mac’s jacket to see a broad band of duct tape wound around its belly. “Duct tape.”

“I don’t sew,” Hero said. “Besides, duct tape is better. It’s a guy thing.”

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments No idea, but ooooh, so tempting...I need to know more. All the best over the holidays and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 706 comments Ah Christmas anxiety over personal approval and gift fulfillment a gruesome combination. My daughters Mac book exploded today. Don’t know the book but recognize all the emotions.

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments Susan wrote: "Ah Christmas anxiety over personal approval and gift fulfillment a gruesome combination. My daughters Mac book exploded today. Don’t know the book but recognize all the emotions."

My condolences to your daughter Susan. If that was one of my boys' computers, you may have heard the anguished roar reverberating around the world (only slight exaggeration).

This time of the year can be very stressful, hope you all survive intact. :D <3 <3 <3

message 5: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1184 comments No idea!
Happy Holidays!

message 6: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
I’m going to do the reveal tomorrow on the theory that Monday didn’t count because it went up late and everyone was busy

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments Dls wrote: "I’m going to do the reveal tomorrow on the theory that Monday didn’t count because it went up late and everyone was busy"

Cool shamool. :D

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Interesting but no idea

message 9: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1916 comments Mod
No clue!

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments I have no idea, but I'm curious to know more!

message 11: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
It’s Hot Toy by Jennifer Cruise

message 12: by Stacey is Sassy (last edited Dec 27, 2017 08:39PM) (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments Dls wrote: "It’s Hot Toy by Jennifer Cruise"

It seemed familiar when I read it and I'm pretty sure I read it as part of an anthology. I like Jennifer's style of writing. I've been thinking of re-reading her old stuff.

message 13: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
Oops. Crusie. Sorry about autocorrect

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1017 comments Duct tape. JB Weld. Superglue. Ah, the essentials of Christmas!

message 15: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Didn't recognize it. And I love Crusie. I'll have to look this one up.