Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Cap leksikon
This topic is about Cap leksikon
Book Issues > Combine editions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Empress (last edited Dec 26, 2017 05:06AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Combined.

I have a question. 'medarbeider' translates as employee. For what reason were their names added to this record? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 3: by lethe (last edited Dec 26, 2017 05:43AM) (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Combined.

I have a question. 'medarbeider' translates as employee. For what reason were their names added to this record? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

I'm pretty sure it means Contributor.

Halvor, please add author roles in English. It is the preferred way on Goodreads (among other things to avoid confusions like this).

message 4: by Empress (last edited Dec 26, 2017 05:50AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) lethe wrote: "Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Halvor, please add author roles in English. It is the preferred way on Goodreads (among other things to avoid confusions like this).

Well he had added the editorial secretary to the record and contributor is bidragsyter (according to Google translate)

message 5: by Halvor (Raknes) (last edited Dec 26, 2017 09:46AM) (new) - added it

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments Yes, 'medarbeider' is a somewhat unusual role. It means co-worker. I would interperet it as being 'contributor'. In the case with the edition you linked to these are editorial staff, not mercantile staff.

As for stating roles in English, I believe I've been advised on a previous occasion that it is OK to add these in the book's language. Was that incorrect?

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments Pål Steigan is not the editor for this edition.

message 7: by Empress (last edited Dec 26, 2017 10:04AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Halvor wrote: "Pål Steigan is not the editor for this edition."

I have added Waldemar Brøgger as editor as well however due to limitations in the database all editions of a work need to have the same primary "author".

Regarding the author roles. It's probably not wrong to add in your own language but I personally prefer if everything is in English for convenience. However many policies do not have exact rules. Or no rules at all. Like in this case. So I will let other librarians to answer your question. Alternatively for me it would be fine if roles are added as "Hovedredaktør/Editor" or there is a librarian note on the edition with the translation. I always aim to leave notes on non-English works even if it is to say that it is an anthology as it is in many cases not obvious. Once you add the book you have I think half an hour to edit. The Librarian Note is placed just above the title field. Feel free to use that for any edition-related notes.

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments Once I add a book I have 24 hours to edit as a non-librarian.

I will make an effort to utilize the librarian note function more in the future.

message 9: by lethe (last edited Dec 26, 2017 10:16AM) (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Halvor wrote: "As for stating roles in English, I believe I've been advised on a previous occasion that it is OK to add these in the book's language. Was that incorrect?"

No, you are right. I found this comment by rivka: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Personally, I think both should be allowed but English preferred, since librarians who understand the language are not always available, and sometimes roles are added in the title field that shouldn't be.