The Idiot by Dostoevsky discussion

Pivnaya Hangouts > Pivnaya Hangout

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Marks (tracymar) | 127 comments Mod
Pivnaya is Russian for beerhouse. This is where we hang out, have a beer and discuss anything except The Idiot!

message 2: by Haaze (last edited Dec 25, 2017 07:09PM) (new)

Haaze | 15 comments Sounds like fun, Tracy. Russia, Russian Lit and Dostoevsky are ok as long as we stay clear of The Idiot?

message 3: by Tracy (last edited Dec 25, 2017 04:02PM) (new)

Well, I figure we can discuss the Idiot on the discussion threads devoted to the book!
I know I can be a stickler for posting in the appropriate threads, and also that that's not viable a lot of the time when we're responding to another post or when what we have to say doesn't quite fit anywhere. But at least attempting to do so does help us locate posts on a specific subject.

Haaze - I wasn't aware that I contacted you directly about The Idiot - only because I consciously contacted only 2-3 LitnLife members who indicated that they weren't going to read Anna Karenina. Did Dianne contact you? I certainly would have messaged you directly if I thought you'd be interested. But I was also trying to avoid creating conflict for AK readers.

Admittedly, some members have been annoyed with me for starting subgroups on books which aren't the primary LitnLife read, which is why I'm trying to keep this separate from LitnLife. And I really don't want to siphon off interest from the AK read.
But some of us won't be reading it or are (hopefully) capable of reading TWO big Russian novels at the same time.

By the way, it's Tracy without an E!

message 4: by Haaze (last edited Dec 25, 2017 07:32PM) (new)

Haaze | 15 comments Oops, sorry about the 'e' - I hate when that happens. :x

In regards to your new group I just noticed its existence in the update stream via Dianne - I generally keep an eye on new groups "mushrooming" here at GR (a bad habit...). I didn't vote this time around so I'm "free" so to say. Ha ha!

message 5: by Tracy (last edited Jan 04, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Well, we're having unusual and somewhat scary weather in Boston. A 12-15-inch snowstorm with 35mph winds (happening now) followed by predictions for temperatures down to -15.

I've lived here 39 years and never encountered temperatures that low. The schools are closed for two days and my Internet connection is sporadic - it keeps going out.

What's frightening everyone is the possibility of losing electricity and heat because of the blizzard. Here in the senior housing community where I now live between two hills and on the water, there is no cellular connection. So if we lose our landline which requires electricity we lose both phone and Internet access.

I hope you all are warm and dry and READING. Let's get the dialogue going!