What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Sci fi books with rural settings

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Starman Jones at least starts in a rural area. The science in this is a bit dated as Robert A. Heinlein wrote this back in the 50's, but the STORY part holds up. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, but thought I'd suggest it.

message 2: by Pamela (last edited Dec 26, 2017 05:28PM) (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Part of Julian May's The Saga of Pliocene Exile takes place in rural areas, although part is urban. It starts with The Many-Colored Land The Many-Colored Land

The novella The Mountains of Mourning by Lois McMaster Bujold takes place in a very rural area on another planet. It's in a couple of anthologies, including Young Miles. Young Miles You don't need to have read anything else in the series.

The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov has a city man solving a mystery on a rural planet. The Naked Sun

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Ingathering: The Complete People Stories, by Zenna Henderson Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson

The Forgotten Door, by Alexander Key The Forgotten Door

message 4: by Mary (last edited Dec 27, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

Mary | 35 comments The Silver Ship and the Sea

This is the first book in a series, and takes place on a planet with one small town.

It has a bit of post apocalyptic feel to it, though, so maybe not the right kind of book.

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2074 comments Clifford Simak writes pastoral SF - see City (which ironically doesn't have many scenes in cities) City and Way Station Way Station for example

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 102 comments A few ideas which might depend on how much difference you see between rural and isolated.

Remnant Population - A colony is evacuated and one woman chooses to stay behind.

A Beautiful Friendship - Takes place on a relatively new colony world with a small population.

The Last Colony - similar in taking place on a new colony world. It is a later book in a series and may not work great not having read the previous books.

Blind Lake - Takes place at an isolated federal research station.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments Your restrictions make this harder than I thought it would be, but I can think of a couple.

Wildside by Steven Gould is about a teenager who inherits a farm from his uncle that turns out to have a portal to an alternate Earth where humanity never evolved.

7th Sigma, also by Gould, is set in the American Southwest several decades after it became infested with alien bugs that devour all metal, down to fillings and pacemakers. Life is a strange mix of Old West and high tech means, but with no large cities and obviously no metal.

The Beyonders by Manly Wade Wellman is listed here on Goodreads, but the search function refuses to show it. It’s about country folk dealing with otherworldly entities and it’s more sf than Wellman’s other work, if I recall correctly.

Similarly, I believe The Tommyknockers by Stephen King is more sf than his usual stuff, but I’m sure it’s still got a fair bit of horror to it.

Finally, Monument by Lloyd Biggle is about a man who crash landed on a tropical planet and was taken in by a forgotten human colony that had a civilization similar to the Polynesians here on Earth. He found it to be a paradise but he worried about how the planet would fare when they were inevitably discovered and exploited by developers. When he grew old and felt death approaching, he taught his adopted people the Plan, and they put it into action. I really can’t recommend this novella highly enough, and you can read it free here:

http://www.baen.com/Chapters/14165207...