Play Book Tag discussion

The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic, #0.2)
This topic is about The Rules of Magic
Archive: Other Books > The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman, 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8854 comments 3.5 stars. I consider myself an ultimate devotee of Alice Hoffman, and I consider her my absolute favorite author. I just published my top ten for the year, and included Faithful, which I finished exactly at this time last year. I think I reviewed it on January 1st, 2017. Many of her works have stayed with me beautifully as five star reads. The Dovekeepers, The Marriage of Opposites, the Museum of Extraordinary Things, The Third Angel, and Faithful. So of course I enjoyed the Rules of Magic. Its Magic and its Alice. I must have read Practical Magic as even my first Alice Hoffman book, maybe in my late teens or early 20's, so that could have been close to 30 years ago. Unless my book dating memory fails. So this book was a stand alone, and didn't link for me to its sequel, written years earlier.

I enjoyed it, liked it. Found myself a little sad in places. My heart broke a little in many places. Naturally, I loved the theme that emerges by the end. But it felt at high emotional cost. I can indeed understand why people are raving about this book. But for me, Alice has spoiled me and as her absolute greatest fan, I feel that I have the right to be selective and discriminating. Alice, your books are always wonderful and worthy and I have loved every single one of them, each in different ways. And have appreciated how diverse your styles are, and how your writing changes for differing audiences. Thank you for the ride and story of Rules of Magic. But for the entire body of work, I am in your debt, and have been forever changed and impacted. My gratitude for your gifts is unmeasurable and heartfelt. Your books always seem to tug at the heart, and have a spiritual theme that rests within. So this review ended up being more of a review of a body of works for me. Thank you for continuing to write, and as I always say, if you happen to come into the same Starbucks in a spiritual synchronistic moment of divinity, your coffee is on me! And if you ever find yourself having one of those lunches with Jodi Piccoult in the Boston area, if you invite me along (one of my favorite fantasies) it would be my delight to treat you both.

I am now on this (Christmas) morning, deciding what to read next, as Thursday is my birthday. How do you know if you are about to fall in love with a book? Or given this winter break, to finish one before then (likely) - and then what do I start? Thinking of starting the Chilbury Ladies Choir. For those who are celebrating Christmas, and for those who are just having a relaxing Monday, I wish you each and all a beautiful, spiritual, meaningful day with those you love. Love is the most important thing in the world. Cherish it and hold on tight.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Great homage to a special author. I've read about 5 so far and all were enchanting. Magical realism is one thing but books with serious magic stirs up resistance. Part of that bias comes from taking a hard sci fi path and part from the sense that Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Rowling, and Pullman covered magic enough for me. That I know is silly, so I appreciate your take on this.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8854 comments You can see I was coming in a little under the rave as usual on this one. How do you like that beautiful snow out there? I'm doing research right now about coming your way tomorrow. A ski day with the kids.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments I'll break out my cross-country skis when the sun comes out, the gales stops, and shoveling is done. We are in bullseye for about a foot. Often the coast gets less.