RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading > Find Me A Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heena (last edited Dec 25, 2017 05:49AM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2214 comments Mod
At RMFAO we love giving and receiving book recommendations and never hesitate to suggest something new to our fellow readers. But sometimes we need more than casual recommendations and have some specific details that we're looking for in a book. This is exactly what this thread is for. Just post your request here and anyone, who knows a book or books matching your request will reply back and help you.

Please note - Any member can post here and or answer a request. So don't hesitate to use this thread anytime you want to read something new.

message 2: by Manas (new)

Manas | 4 comments This would be a very vague description. But I would take my chances.
This is an Indian book, written by either a Malayali or Tamil writer (translated in English), with pink cover (as far as I remember). A very groundbreaking work, book has no structure and it explores theme of absurdism. It is a very famous book, (if not banned, then was in a lot of controversy.) Not very old. After 2000's work.
I came across a few months ago on goodread and read somebody's review. Unfortunately, I somehow could not save anything neither in my mind nor in my account. The above information is the only thing i have. Can anybody help me out here?

message 3: by Heena (last edited Dec 30, 2017 07:26AM) (new)

Is it this one? Still Bleeding from the Wound by Ashokamitran

message 4: by Manas (new)

Manas | 4 comments Thanks a lot Heena for your reply.
I am sorry but this is not the one.
That book was quite dark and had no structure of story with an absurdist theme. That book was also in trouble for its content. As I remember, there were a lot of reviews for that book. It was considered as path breaking and one of its own kind of work.
It is really frustrating that I don't remember any concrete information. If you get anything else of similar manner, do let me know.

message 5: by Heena (new)

Sorry about this. Will keep an eye out though.

message 6: by Heena (new)

Find Me A Book: I'd like to read a book on Elves. Elves should be the main/lead characters and not just the side ones. Dark fantasy books would be really great but any kind of fantasy would do except erotica.

Thanks in advance.

message 7: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK (sumitrk) | 2 comments Heena wrote: "Find Me A Book: I'd like to read a book on Elves. Elves should be the main/lead characters and not just the side ones. Dark fantasy books would be really great but any kind of fantasy would do exce..."

How about this one ?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 8: by Heena (last edited Jan 08, 2018 02:03AM) (new)

SumitRK wrote: "Heena wrote: "Find Me A Book: I'd like to read a book on Elves. Elves should be the main/lead characters and not just the side ones. Dark fantasy books would be really great but any kind of fantasy..."

This suits me perfectly well! Thanks a lot, Sumit :)
Do let me know if you know any more elf-based series.

message 9: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK (sumitrk) | 2 comments Heena wrote: "SumitRK wrote: "Heena wrote: "Find Me A Book: I'd like to read a book on Elves. Elves should be the main/lead characters and not just the side ones. Dark fantasy books would be really great but any..."

You can try this series. https://www.goodreads.com/series/6955...

Or If you like romance genre, you can try these

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 2061 comments Mod
Since February's Genre Challenge is Mystery/Thrillers, I'd like someone to find me a Young Adult book that would fit the Mystery/Thrillers category. And I'd like it to have a contemporary setting, not a fantasy or science fiction setting. I sure hope someone can help me with this. Thanks!

message 11: by Heena (new)

SumitRK wrote: "Heena wrote: "SumitRK wrote: "Heena wrote: "Find Me A Book: I'd like to read a book on Elves. Elves should be the main/lead characters and not just the side ones. Dark fantasy books would be really..."

I saw this now... Thanks a lot Sumit. I don't read a lot of ROmance unless it's by Nicholas Sparks, so I'm not sure about those, though I will definitely check out the other link as those comics/GNs look promising. Thanks for sharing the links! Appreciate it :)

message 12: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Since February's Genre Challenge is Mystery/Thrillers, I'd like someone to find me a Young Adult book that would fit the Mystery/Thrillers category. And I'd like it to have a contemporary setting, ..."

Have you read (or heard of) Theodore Boone books by John Grisham? I've read the first one and it was a good story: Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer
Another one (this one I'm planning to read for either Mystery or YA month) is The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett.

I'll keep an eye out for any other YA Mystery and will share if something catches my attention.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Since February's Genre Challenge is Mystery/Thrillers, I'd like someone to find me a Young Adult book that would fit the Mystery/Thrillers category. And I'd like it to have a contemp..."

Thanks for these suggestions, Heena!

message 14: by Heena (new)

Pleasure :)

message 15: by Heena (new)

Cheryl - I just read Blame by Jeff Abbott and it turned out to be a YA Mystery-Thriller. It was good, not great, but good for a 2-day read.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: "Cheryl - I just read Blame by Jeff Abbott and it turned out to be a YA Mystery-Thriller. It was good, not great, but good for a 2-day read."

Heena,

Thank you for telling me!

message 17: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3415 comments Mod
I happen to have Abbott's Blame on hold. Should get it in time for this month.

message 18: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Heena,

Thank you for telling me!"

Pleasure :)

message 19: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "I happen to have Abbott's Blame on hold. Should get it in time for this month."

It's a quick read, Dagny. I really enjoyed it except for the emotional parts. Looking forward to your thoughts on the book.

message 20: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 09, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Dagny wrote: "I happen to have Abbott's Blame on hold. Should get it in time for this month."

I put it on hold, too. Hopefully, it will get here before the end of the month.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

The March genre challenge is Westerns or Women's Fiction. I'm ok finding Westerns for this challenge, but I'm totally lost when it comes to Women's Fiction. Can anyone give me some recommendations?

message 22: by Dagny (new)

Me, too! Women's Fiction is one of the hardest categories for me to figure out. I think maybe any of Catherine Cookson's books which feature a woman, but they're probably more 'regional' than Women's. Help.

message 23: by Heena (new)

Yeah... this is a tough month! I do have a few names on my list that I wanted to read for this month: The Help (The movie on this book is one of my all time favourites and I've wanted to read this book for a very, very long time!), Big Little Lies (I've been meaning to read this one since its release) and Bridget Jones's Diary (this one's just so famous.)

In case if you won't mind mystery (sort fo cosy, but not really cosy... more like suspense... argh... it's hard to categorize LM's books but Women's Fiction is one genre they sit perfectly well in) The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty is a nice read. I loved the characters more than anything!
Also, in case if you don't mind reading a less famous author, then Her Sister's Shoes is a beautiful, beautiful book! I read it a couple of years ago and still can't help thinking about the characters from time to time.

Will post more names here if something else comes to my mind. :)

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Thanks, Heena. I've seen raves about The Help and I seem to recall seeing it at my library. Some other good ones too.

message 25: by Heena (new)

Welcome, Dagny. If you've not watched the movie already, the do so if you get a chance. I'm sure the book would be better than the movie, so please do read it if you can find it at your library. I have no words how beautiful the story is and some parts totally hilarious. I have a feeling you might love this one :)

message 26: by Heena (last edited Mar 03, 2018 10:32PM) (new)

BTW, I was wondering if you guys have read Nicholas Sparks' books? The adaptations of his books are a bit cheesy but the books are definitely not. Some of my favourites that I would recommend, in case if you haven't read them, are -
- Safe Haven - a very complex book on relationships and a very mature and 'grown up' kind of read
- Dear John - a beautiful book
- The Choice - this one was so emotional that it made me cry for a couple of days after finishing the book
- The Longest Ride - the story is very, very good and is about 2 couples and, again, a very emotional read. The best part is there is no romance as such, but of course a lot of love in general. This one can also be counted for Western Fiction.

I haven't read his latest books, much to my own dismay, but his writing and characters are quite compelling - everyone still loves Noah and Alley from The Notebook!

message 27: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "BTW, I was wondering if you guys have read Nicholas Sparks' books? The adaptations of his books are a bit cheesy but the books are definitely not...."

Oh, thanks, Heena. I've heard of him, but never read any of his books. I happen to have The Rescue which I found at a thrift store ages ago and never got around to reading. I'll check my library - bet they have several.

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: "BTW, I was wondering if you guys have read Nicholas Sparks' books? The adaptations of his books are a bit cheesy but the books are definitely not. "

What luck! I just found Safe Haven at a thrift store! I will be taking it along when I travel later this week. It looks like an interesting story.

message 29: by Heena (new)

Dagny - I haven't read The Rescue, but the description does sound good. Do let me know if ypu happen to read it.

message 30: by Heena (new)

Cheryl - Yay! It's one hell of a book. Different from what Sparks usually write, but great nonetheless. I hope you'll like it! Do let me know ☺

message 31: by Heena (last edited Aug 30, 2018 12:28AM) (new)

October is only a month away and I'm trying to find a couple of really good horror books. I'm asking this ahead of time so that I have enough time to arrange the books for September.
Please suggest some creepy horror reads!

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: "October is only a month away and I'm trying to find a couple of really good horror books. I'm asking this ahead of time so that I have enough time to arrange the books for September."

Here are two books that are about ghostbusters, so they combine horror and solving a supernatural mystery:

The Devil You Know

The Haunting of Maddy Clare

message 33: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Here are two books that are about ghostbusters, so they combine horror and solving a supernatural mystery:
The Devil You Know
The Haunting of Maddy Clare "

They both sound great, Cheryl. I've not yet read any books on ghostbusters and exorcists so these would make for my perfect venture into such kind of horror books. Thanks a ton!

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: " They both sound great, Cheryl. I've not yet read any books on ghostbusters and exorcists so these would make for my perfect venture into such kind of horror books. Thanks a ton! "

You are welcome, Heena. They aren't horrifyingly scary, but I found both the plot and characters in each to be very interesting.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Heena,

Here is another Horror theme book you might like that's a bit unusual:

In the Shadow of Blackbirds

This YA novel deals with spirit photography and is set during the Spanish Flu epidemic after World War I. Again, not horrifyingly scary, but a unique story and interesting characters.

message 36: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "You are welcome, Heena. They aren't horrifyingly scary, but I found both the plot and characters in each to be very interesting. "

I see... Now I'm really excited to read these! :)

message 37: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Heena, Here is another Horror theme book you might like that's a bit unusual:
In the Shadow of Blackbirds
This YA novel deals with spirit photography and is set during the Spani..."

Spanish Flu is another very interesting topic and something that I was researching a while ago for a short story, so it should make for a very interesting read. Thanks, Cheryl, appreciate it. Please do suggest more books if they happen to come to your mind.

message 38: by Heena (last edited Sep 24, 2018 09:31AM) (new)

Julie wrote: "Hi there. First post here. I want to say how excited I was to find this thread!! There have often times been that I had some specifics in mind in a book I’d like to read but no one to ask.
At any r..."

Hey, Julie. I'm glad you like this thread.
I'm not a regular romance reader, but I do enjoy some occasionally. I've always been a fan of Nicholas Spark's books and really enjoyed Safe Haven, The Longest Ride, The Lucky One and Nights in Rodanthe along with his more famous works The Notebook, The Choice and A Walk to Remember. I'm not sure if you've already explored his works yet, but he is one of the best romance writers and his books are generally light yet memorable as well as relatable.

It's been a while though that I've read any of Sparks' new works or any other romance, though the last good romance novel I read (which ended up in making me read the entire trilogy) was a couple of years ago - Captivated (but it is from the 1990's so maybe you already know about it.) I'd like to mention here that I'm not a fan of Nora Roberts as I've not read any of her books other than this series. Though based on this series itself, I've added a couple of her book to my to-read list (which I'm yet to read.)

Another one that comes to mind is a contemporary romance I read a couple years ago and seemed to have liked was Southern Solstice. Will share more if I remember more.

message 39: by Heena (last edited Nov 18, 2018 10:32PM) (new)

Hi Errin, sorry to be the party pooper but this is not the right place to share your books and links. This is strictly for requesting recommendations from the group members and not meant for promotion.
Kindly post your book links on the appropriate thread that is created for authors specifically. You can create a new thread in this discussion board: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 40: by Errin (new)

Errin Stevens (errintevens) | 13 comments Heena wrote: "Hi Errin, sorry to be the party pooper but this is not the right place to share your books and links. This is strictly for requesting recommendations from the group members and not meant for promot..."

I am so very sorry! I have deleted my comment and will go to the location you graciously indicated. :-)

message 41: by Heena (new)

Errin wrote: "I am so very sorry! I have deleted my comment and will go to the location you graciously indicated. :-)"

No worries. Thanks for understanding!

message 42: by Jill (last edited Jan 01, 2019 09:01PM) (new)

Jill | 12 comments Hi! For this upcoming year, I have decided I really want to focus on reading "big books" and not be concerned with how many books I am reading so I'm looking for any books that are 500+ pages that you loved. They can be any genre they just have to be knock your socks off awesome is all that I ask. :D

message 43: by Heena (new)

How about Swan Song by Robert McCammon? I liked it, a decent dystopian read. Though I've heard that in many ways it is similar to The Stand by Stephen King.
Another goodie is A Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (not sure if it is 500+ pages, but remember that it was more than 400 for sure) and a very, very good read.

message 44: by Dagny (new)

Jill wrote: "Hi! For this upcoming year, I have decided I really want to focus on reading "big books and not be concerned with how many books I am reading so I'm looking for any books that are 500+ pages"

Jill, if you like Classics, I recommend The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas This edition, translated by Robin Buss, clocks in at well over 1000 pages. There is also an adequate translation in public domain which you can get free from Project Gutenberg at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1184 There are also three different recordings available free at LibriVox, the longest of which is over 54 hours at https://librivox.org/the-count-of-mon...

I can come up with some more exciting classics if you're interested.

If you are a Stephen King fan, I'd go for 11/22/63 if you haven't already read it. I have to say though that it probably appeals more to me than to younger readers since I was alive at the time and remember the actual events.

message 45: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 01, 2019 09:19AM) (new)

Jill,

I agree with Dagny's recommendation of The Count of Monte Cristo. I was initially intimidated by the size, but was blown away by the story. An excellent choice!

Another great "big" classic that I love is Bleak House by Charles Dickens. You can see if it appeals to you.

message 46: by Dagny (new)

Bleak House is my favorite book by Dickens. It's got a lot of excitement.

message 47: by Jill (new)

Jill | 12 comments Heena wrote: "How about Swan Song by Robert McCammon? I liked it, a decent dystopian read. Though I've heard that in many ways it is similar to The Stand by Stephen King.
Another goodie is A Boy's Life by Robert..."

I just added both of them to my Kindle. :D So I am ready to dive in. It's been a long time since I read The Stand so maybe I won't compare it to Swan Song too much. :D

message 48: by Jill (new)

Jill | 12 comments Dagny wrote: "Jill wrote: "Hi! For this upcoming year, I have decided I really want to focus on reading "big books and not be concerned with how many books I am reading so I'm looking for any books that are 500+..."

Dagny - Thank you so much for the suggestions. :D I will add The Count to my list. :D I have read 11/22/63. It was a great read. One of my favorites, and I think his best book. I may read another one of his this year.

message 49: by Jill (new)

Jill | 12 comments Cheryl and Dagny- Thank you so much for the recommendation of Bleak House. I don't know if I have even heard of it, but I did enjoy Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities. So I will have to give it a try. :D

message 50: by Dagny (new)

You're welcome, Jill! We're happy to help you find these blockbuster doorstops.

I was reminded of Anthony Trollope just a bit ago when I saw another recording of one of his books completed at LibriVox. If you're interested there, let me know and I'll look at the titles. The Warden is one of my all-time favorites of his because the title character is such a dear sweet man. But it's a relatively short book. He wrote plenty of long ones though.

« previous 1