Play Book Tag discussion

The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1)
This topic is about The Alienist

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

DianeMP | 390 comments 3 stars
The Alienist by Caleb Carr is not tagged “social issue.” However, I think topics and themes which form the core of the story are social issues. The main character, Dr. Laszlo Kriezler, is an alienist or psychologist. During the time frame of the story, the end of the 19th century, psychology was a burgeoning field as- of- yet not accepted by the majority of the populace. Most people of the Gilded Age viewed the field with skepticism and “profiling” killers as downright ridiculous. Killers were born not made.
With a twisted, perverse murderer of young prostitute boys on the loose in New York City, Theodore Roosevelt, then NYC Police Commissioner, engages the services of Dr. Laszlo Kriezler, reporter John Moore and unabashed feminist Sara Howard to catch the killer and solve the crime.
I gave the book three stars. It took forever to read as it didn’t hold my interest. Too many digressions into the rise of steak houses, Mr. Moore’s fall from grace from New York’s finest families, and the NYC Metropolitan Opera. These are a few of the details I found distracting and eventually boring. I would put the book down and later force myself to read it. I hate that! I am not a believer of having to finish every book I start. This may have been the first and the last I force myself to read. Too many good books to get hung up like that.
I know that many people who loved this book will disagree with me. Sorry- each to his or her own. The only question that now remains is should I read the sequel?

Hahtoolah | 406 comments I read this book when it first came out and really loved it. I have the sequel, but have yet to pick it up to read.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments I read it back in 2005 ... before I joined either Shelfari or Goodreads. My review is very brief. I do remember that my F2F book club was disappointed in how Sara was treated .... we didn't necessarily think her actions (as portrayed by the author) equated with her avowed feminist views.

Still, I gave it 4 stars.