Reading the 20th Century discussion

General > Did you get any books, or book related presents?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb | 8753 comments Mod
Wrapping up my wife's presents yesterday I realised it was about 80% books. I expect I will receive a few books in the next few days.

So, if you received any gifts recently, which were books you were particularly pleased to receive?

message 2: by Susan (last edited Dec 25, 2017 01:48AM) (new)

Susan | 9294 comments Mod
Lots of bookish presents - including The Book Lover's Cookbook, Agatha Christie presentation stamps, and a trinket box, and a signed copy of The Painted Veil. Feeling thoroughly spoilt this morning. Hope there are lots of good books, and gifts, under everyone's tree,

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikeynick) | 332 comments One book, 'How to Build a Car' by Adrian Newey. For those who don't know I am life long F1 and Mr Newey is a F1 car designer.
Do you think red wine and chocolate are book related?

message 4: by Susan (new)

I think red wine and chocolates go with books admirably, Michael :)

message 5: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 706 comments I got another intriguing looking monster to add to my already overloaded to-read shelf: The House of Government: A Saga of the Russian Revolution by Yuri Slezkine. A real doorstep hardback running to over 1100 pages. It might take me a while to dare to start it...

message 6: by Susan (new)

That looks a great book. Definitely one I want to read too, Hugh.

message 7: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1077 comments No books for me. But I do have a Barnes & Noble gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I foresee a trip to the city in my future (the nearest location of B&N).

I received art, dvds, cds, t-shirts and snacks - chocolate and nuts.

message 8: by Nigeyb (new)

Today marks the first three days of present opening.

Two book’s in today’s haul: the new Danny Baker book, and an autobiography by Chris Difford of Squeeze

📚

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikeynick) | 332 comments I did get a Tintin poster, this is book related, I am putting together the full Tintin book collection. Poster will be framed together and hung in my 'man cave.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4375 comments Mod
I was given The Collected Novellas of Stefan Zweig and Mrs Dalloway - so I'm well equipped for our next reads here!

message 11: by Pages (new)

Pages | 112 comments I am super spoilt. My book loot has been very impressive. I might start with one of the comic books today 😁 Jem and the holograms. My book Santa gave me a beautiful mug and a gorgeous bound valley of the dolls, which I haven’t read. Looking forward to it. Plus Dorothy Sayers, the first three Lord Wimsey books.

message 12: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 258 comments I received The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began from my in-laws as well as a knitting pattern book, and a couple line a day books.

My parents didn't get me any books this year, which was weird. And my aunt doesn't like getting us books because she thinks we have too many... :/

I did get some gift cards and money for Christmas though, so some of that will be going towards books that have been on my list for a few years and aren't getting bought. May as well get them for myself! :)

message 13: by Nigeyb (last edited Dec 30, 2017 12:22PM) (new)

Here's what has come my way so far (one of my sisters forgot to bring her presents!)....

A few books I received for Xmas 2017

Goodbye Mr Chips by James Hilton
Lost Horizon by James Hilton
The Trial of Lady Chatterley’s Lover by Sybille Bedford
Iain Sinclair - The Lost London
David Bowie A Life by Dylan Jones
How Not To Be A Boy by Robert Webb
Going On The Turn by Danny Baker
Some Fantastic Place by Chris Difford

message 14: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 146 comments Bronwyn wrote: "And my aunt doesn't like getting us books because she thinks we have too many... :/"

Heresy!!!!

message 15: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 258 comments I know!! She has all of one bookshelf in her home, so it’s not surprising she thinks we have too many. :/

I bought myself a few more with Christmas money. The full set of Cazalet books by Elizabeth Jane Howard, The World Broke in Two, and Singled Out. For my son (but for me, who are we kidding) I got a copy of The Nutcracker with Maurice Sendak’s illustrations and Extra Yarn. I can’t wait till they all come! :)

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikeynick) | 332 comments The concept of too many books?
Nope not feeling that one!
We laughingly (ish) say we moved house to accommodate our books!! My partner has way more books than me! We have double stacked book shelves multiple bookcases and are quite creative with storage! And I still have (quick look) seven books on 'my' coffee table!