Retro Reads discussion

General > What book is this??

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathy_mccartney) | 4 comments Does anyone recognize this book? I had this children's picture book when I was a kid and have been searching for it but I don't know the title. It was about two dinosaur-like creatures who were each captured by two warring groups of cavemen to be used as weapons. Each group of cavemen adorned each dinosaur in armor, and were about to use them to attack the opposing tribe. But the dinosaurs wouldn't fight because they were friends. So in the end, the dinosaurs were happy to be reunited and there was no war.
Does anyone recognize this and/or know the title? I would be so amazed if I could ever tind this book again. Thanks!

message 2: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments That sounds like a cute book.
In what country did you read it Cathy? And around what year? That might help narrow the choices.

message 3: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments Also, were the illustrations more cartoon-like or realistic, and were there many words (like a beginning reader) or more illustration-based?

message 4: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Doesn't ring any bells with me, Cathy! Not even Christmas ones...

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathy_mccartney) | 4 comments Hi everyone and Merry Christmas! The illustrations were not realistic and it was I think, mostly picture driven. Very creative and beautiful. This was in the US in the 70s.

message 6: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1658 comments Mod
This group https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... has had a lot of success helping people find books. Read their rules before posting. :)

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathy_mccartney) | 4 comments Thanks I’ll check it out!

message 8: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Cathy wrote: "Thanks I’ll check it out!"

Also they have this thread of things to try first. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Sigh. I have an Agatha Christie I'm wanting to read but only remember whodunnit. People have offered suggestions but they have never been the right book.

message 9: by Mir (new)

Mir | 11 comments I'd say start reading Christies until you find it, but that might take years given how prolific she was. Maybe post in the group Carol linked and put whodunnit in spoilers?

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathy_mccartney) | 4 comments thanks!!

message 11: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments Ah, Carol, can you put the Agatha Christie whodunnit info that you remember in a spoiler tag? I would love to see if I can figure out which one it was.

message 12: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

❇Critterbee wrote: "Ah, Carol, can you put the Agatha Christie whodunnit info that you remember in a spoiler tag? I would love to see if I can figure out which one it was."

OK if you are sure. Don't open this spoiler unless you have read every single Christie or are burned out on them because pretty much all I remember is whodunnit.

(view spoiler)

I did say I didn't remember much!

message 13: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments hmmmmmm do you remember whether Poirot, Marple, Pyne, Quin, Satterthwaite or Tommy and Tuppence were present?

message 14: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

I'm nearly positive it was Poirot. Definitely not Tommy & Tuppence - they always set my teeth on edge.

message 15: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments That perfectly expresses how I feel about them, as well!

message 16: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments Time to make pizza, but I will have a look about afterwards.

message 17: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Thanks so much! No rush I am over committed for reads already till at least July.

message 18: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments In other words, your dancing card is full...
haha!

message 19: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Dancing card, book shelf, mind... :D

message 20: by Mir (new)

Mir | 11 comments Dang! That actually sounds like one I have read, but I can't remember which, either!

message 21: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 485 comments Carol
All I can think of is 'A Pocket Full of Rye'--one of the Miss Marple stories.
(view spoiler)
Does this help?

message 22: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Barb in Maryland wrote: "Carol
Does this help?"

That does sound like my book! Maybe my thinking it was a Poirot mystery has lead me to the wrong search!
Thanks Barb!

message 23: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 485 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Barb in Maryland wrote: "Carol
Does this help?"

That does sound like my book! Maybe my thinking it was a Poirot myster..."

Glad to be of help, even if it turns out I'm wrong... Let us know, please.

message 24: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments All right! Well done, Barb!

message 25: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

& I don't own this one - & *shock horror* looks like my local library has got rid of some of their Christie's.(but if they could get rid of their Jane Austen's I guess nothing is sacred) It will turn up in an op shop eventually though. :)

message 26: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments Wait, what? Got rid of Jane Austen and Agatha Christie without re-ordering? Are they having funding issues?

message 27: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

❇Critterbee wrote: "Wait, what? Got rid of Jane Austen and Agatha Christie without re-ordering? Are they having funding issues?"

I expect so. & our town has an aging population so most of us have read those authors.

When I get back from holiday I'm going to ask about getting in some Dorothy L. Sayers Another branch has the first 2 Lord Wimsey, but I have been trying (& not finding) some of her other titles secondhand.

message 28: by Mir (new)

Mir | 11 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Barb in Maryland wrote: "Carol
Does this help?"

That does sound like my book! Maybe my thinking it was a Poirot myster..."

I'm pretty sure there is also a Poirot where an old, rich man (maybe he owns a factory?) is poisoned by a family member.

And also the old, rich murdered grandfather in Crooked House, which I think is a standalone.

message 29: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Erato wrote: "They often do that if nobody checks them out for too long. Got to clear room on the shelves for something else. "

Yes I know. I guess I was expressing surprise that Christie books would be in that position.

Miriam wrote: "And also the old, rich murdered grandfather in Crooked House, which I think is a standalone.
"

Excellent book - definitely not this one as I've read it quite recently.