Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

Me and Marvin Gardens
This topic is about Me and Marvin Gardens
Newbery 2018 > Me and Marvin Gardens

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine | 9 comments I am about to start this one and am wondering why I haven’t seen this come up on Newbery watch lists (except for Heavy Medal). Any thoughts why this might be? It was published February 2017 and she’s a U. S. author so it would be eligible, right? She’s received high awards for her YA stuff so I would think her middle grade debut would be talked about more.

message 2: by LS (new) - added it

LS Johnson | 87 comments Christine wrote: "I am about to start this one and am wondering why I haven’t seen this come up on Newbery watch lists (except for Heavy Medal). Any thoughts why this might be? It was published February 2017 and she..."

I think I saw a lot of discussion about it after it first came out. You may want to look back through some threads.

Thomas Bell Me and Marvin Gardens is on a few watch lists. The problem with it is that it’s too weird. It’s also quite politically motivated, and everyone’s opinions are way too exaggerated. Technically it’s eligible, but I don’t see it winning anything.

Christine | 9 comments Thanks to you both! Yes, now that I’ve read it I see what you mean. It is very different and heavy handed in its message. Not bad things but polarizing for sure.

message 5: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Ninofranco | 9 comments I really wanted to like this. I read it aloud to my class and we both wanted it to end. I felt like it was all over the place and definitely odd.

message 6: by Candice (new)

Candice Lucas | 37 comments Ivy wrote: "I really wanted to like this. I read it aloud to my class and we both wanted it to end. I felt like it was all over the place and definitely odd."
Agreed. I was so disappointed - I love her YA stuff and this just didn't hit it for me. It was like a bad cartoon.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 177 comments Ivy wrote: “I read it aloud to my class and we both wanted it to end.”
I was wondering how children reacted to Me and Marvin Gardens. Thanks for this report.

Pam  Page (httpwwwgoodreadscompagep) | 68 comments I agree. This was one of the strangest books I've read in awhile and I kept wonderng if children would even enjoy it.