Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Alexa's 2018 Reading Plan

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Dec 10, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments 1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
The Blue Jay by Michelle Schlicher The Blue Jay: 5★ (read: 01.03.-01.04.) review

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour Everything Leads to You: 5★ (finished: 11.16.) review

3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3) by Rick Riordan The Ship of the Dead: 4★ (read: 06.06.) review

4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth
Failure to Communicate (Xandri Corelel #1) by Kaia Sønderby Failure to Communicate: 5★ (read: 03.19.) review

5. A book about or inspired by real events
Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?: 4★ (read: 07.09.) review

6. A book originally written in a language other than English
Odakint ​sötétebb by Attila Veres Odakint sötétebb: 3★ (read: 08.22.) review

7. A gothic novel
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: 4★ (read: 11.19.) review

8. An "own voices" book
Baker Thief by Claudie Arseneault Baker Thief: 4★ (read: 06.12.) review

9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
Hearts Like Hers (Seven Shores, #2) by Melissa Brayden Hearts Like Hers: 4★ (read: 02.12.) review

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
The Queen of Ieflaria by Effie Calvin The Queen of Ieflaria: 5★ (read: 02.10.-02.11.) review

11. A literary fiction
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit: 3★ (read: 06.10.) review

12. A book set in Africa or South America
Akata Witch (Akata Witch, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor Akata Witch: 5★ (read: 06.27.) review

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
Embrace by Megan Derr Embrace: 3★ (read: 02.05.) review

14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1) by RoAnna Sylver Chameleon Moon: 5★ (read: 01.11.) review

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Dracula Rise Of The Beast by David Thomas Moore Dracula: Rise of the Beast: 5★ (read: 03.21.) review

16. A narrative nonfiction WILD CARD A book whose title or author's last name starts with Q, X, Y, or Z
Certain Requirements by Elinor Zimmerman Certain Requirements: 4★ (read: 05.24.) review

17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Free Chocolate by Amber Royer Free Chocolate: 4★ (read: 06.04.) review

18. A book with a location in the title
Leányrablás Budapesten (Ambrózy báró esetei, #1) by Gyula Böszörményi Leányrablás Budapesten: 3★ (read: 11.18.) review

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author
No. 16. (Tuppence and Tommy #2) by Agatha Christie No.16. [Partners in Crime]: 4★ (read: 10.20.) review

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
Run in the Blood by A.E. Ross Run in the Blood: 3★ (read: 02.28.) review

21. A book written in first person perspective
Remembering Majyk (The Skazka Chronicles, #1) by Valia Lind Remembering Majyk: 3★ (read: 02.05.) review

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
The Lifeline Signal (Chameleon Moon, #2) by RoAnna Sylver The Lifeline Signal: 5★ (read: 01.16.-01.17.) review

23. A medical or legal thriller
The Nemesis Cell by Brian L. Porter The Nemesis Cell: 1★ (read: 10.29.) review

24. A book with a map
Ardulum First Don by J.S. Fields Ardulum: First Don: 4★ (read: 01.29.) review

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
Villains Don't Date Heroes! by Hayden Archer
Villains Don't Date Heroes!: 2★ (read: 03.20-03.25.) review

26. A book with a text only cover
Salt by Nayyirah Waheed Salt: 4★ (read: 03.04-03.05.)

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
But Not Up Here (Poems About Remembering In Neon) by RoAnna Sylver But Not Up Here: 5★ (read: 03.04.) review

28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
The Seafarer's Kiss (The Seafarer's Kiss #1) by Julia Ember The Seafarer's Kiss: 4★ (read: 07.04.-07.10.) review

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
The Dry Season (The Lost Fields, #0.5) by Cassidy Taylor The Dry Season: 5★ (read: 07.01.) review

30. A short book
Lost Boy, Found Boy by Jenn Polish Lost Boy, Found Boy: 5★ (read: 03.18.) review

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
The Princess Deception by Nell Stark The Princess Deception: 3★ (read: 05.13.) review

32. An alternate history book
The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2) by Jessica Spotswood The Radical Element: 5★ (read: 03.12.) review

33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you
Transcendent 2 The Year's Best Transgender Speculative Fiction 2016 by Bogi Takács Transcendent 2: The Year's Best Transgender Speculative Fiction 2016: 4★ (read: 03.02.-03.03.) review

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call -> A book with a supernatural character (vampire, werewolf, witch/wizard, zombie, ghost, etc.)
Changing Loyalties (Shadows of Melbourne #1) by Nicole Field Changing Loyalties: 4★ (read: 02.07.) review

35. A book featuring a murder
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book: 5★ (read: 01.24.) review

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
Time Will Tell by M. Ullrich Time Will Tell: 4★ (read: 02.03.) review

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet: 5★ (read: 12.10.) review

38. A science book or a science fiction book
Cheerleaders From Planet X by Lyssa Chiavari Cheerleaders from Planet X: 4.5★ (read: 03.24.) review

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Semicolon ; by McKayla Debonis Semicolon;: 4★ (read: 03.04.) review

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle A Wrinkle in Time: 2★ (read: 01.22.) review

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
Long Steady Distance by Helena Hill Long Steady Distance: 4★ (read: 02.28.) review

42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai, #1) by Tiana Warner Ice Massacre: 5★ (read: 03.09.) review

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
We Care For You by Paul Kitcatt We Care For You: 2★ (read: 01.30.-01.31.) review

44. A ghost story
Spectacle Vol. 1 by Megan Rose Gedris Spectacle Vol 1: 4★ (read: 05.13.) review

45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang The Poppy War: 5★ (read: 05.25.) review

46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
Nothing But Sky by Amy Trueblood Nothing But Sky: 3★ (read: 04.01.) review

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
Not Your Sidekick (Sidekick Squad, #1) by C.B. Lee Not Your Sidekick: 4★ (read: 03.29.) review

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
Smoke Signals by Meredith Katz Smoke Signals: 5★ (read: 03.02.) review

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1) by Mackenzi Lee The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue: 5★ (read: 07.13.) review

50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
Sunvault Stories of Solarpunk and Eco-Speculation by Phoebe Wagner Sunvault: Stories of Solarpunk and Eco-Speculation: 5★ (read: 04.27.) review

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
The Starlit Wood New Fairy Tales by Dominik Parisien Seasons of Glass and Iron: 5★ (read: 01.29.) review

52. A book published in 2018
Sweethearts by Gemma Gilmore Sweethearts: 3★ (read: 01.29.-01.30.) review

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments Lovely list!!! You have a few books that I'd also like to read next year: The Martian, Daughter of the Burning City, The Invisible Library, Daughter of Smoke & Bone and The Last Wish, and a few I can only recommend: Six of Crows (seriously, this book is brilliant!!!) and The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (and this one is adorable).

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Sara wrote: "Lovely list!!! You have a few books that I'd also like to read next year: The Martian, Daughter of the Burning City, The Invisible Library, [book:Dau..."

We can read them together :D Daughter of Smoke & Bone have been on my shelf since forever but I haven't touched it. And the Daughter of the Burning City was in a Fairyloot create I think.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments Alexandra wrote: "Sara wrote: "Lovely list!!! You have a few books that I'd also like to read next year: The Martian, Daughter of the Burning City, [book:The Invisible Library|2141669..."

Sure, why not? That could be fun! :D

message 5: by Alex (last edited Jan 31, 2018 10:44AM) (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments January reading:

I didn't manage to read in order, which I'm kinda bummed about, but I overwhelmed myself with eARCs and other plans so this is how it turned out. I did check a few things off the list in one month though.

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title (The Blue Jay)
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire (Chameleon Moon)
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for (The Lifeline Signal)
24. A book with a map (Ardulum: First Don)
35. A book featuring a murder (The Graveyard Book)
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (A Wrinkle in Time)
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence (We Care For You)
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection (Seasons of Glass and Iron)
52. A book published in 2018 (Sweethearts)

My ratings and reviews have been edited into the original post :)

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Woohoo! Four 5 Star books, one 4 Star and one 2 star is not a bad way to start off the year. Great start and wishing you happy reading!

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Thank you! Yeah, I was lucky and read a lot of good books this month, so let's hope the same will be true for the rest of the year :D

message 8: by Emily (last edited Jan 29, 2018 08:43AM) (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments For prompt 12, I read City of Saints & Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson last year, which is set in Africa. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I also can recommend Akata Witch as well.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Emily wrote: "For prompt 12, I read City of Saints & Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson last year, which is set in Africa. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I also can recommend Akata Witch as well."

I looked up that book just now and it does sound interesting! I already own Akata Witch so I'll stick with that for this challenge, but I might read City of Saints and Thieves later :)

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Looks like I posted the January round-up too soon because I actually ended up checking off two more things...

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
52. A book published in 2018

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments 43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
We Care For You by Paul Kitcatt We Care For You: 2★ (read: 01.30.-01.31.)

I feel like I'm progressing way too fast with this challenge, and not in order at all.

At this rate I'll finish the challenge pretty early, so I might end up doing a Round 2 and do THAT in order.

message 12: by Alex (last edited Feb 28, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments It's the last day of February and I think I just finished my last read of the month, so here's a February wrap-up:

(I'm sure I'll slow down eventually when I run out of the "easy" categories.)

9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
✓ Hearts Like Hers (Seven Shores, #2) by Melissa Brayden: 4★ (read: 02.12.)

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
✓ The Queen of Ieflaria by Effie Calvin: 5★ (read: 02.10.-02.11.)

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
✓ Embrace by Megan Derr: 3★ (read: 02.05.)

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
✓ Run in the Blood by A.E. Ross: 3★ (read: 02.28.)

21. A book written in first person perspective
✓ Remembering Majyk (The Skazka Chronicles, #1) by Valia Lind: 3★ (read: 02.05.)

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call -> A book with a supernatural character (vampire, werewolf, witch/wizard, zombie, ghost, etc.)
✓ Changing Loyalties (Shadows of Melbourne #1) by Nicole Field: 4★ (read: 02.07.)

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
✓ Time Will Tell by M. Ullrich: 4★ (read: 02.03.)

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
✓ Long Steady Distance by Helena Hill: 4★ (read: 02.28.)

February total: 8
Year total so far: 17

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments I stopped posting monthly updates, but we're halfway through the year, so:

I have finished 43 books for this challenge and I have 9 prompts left. Maybe I went through them too fast, but that's better than too slow... right? Plus, I still have a few tough ones left so idk when I'll actually finish.

Maybe next year I'll actually like, read in order or something.

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments 19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author

For this prompt, I kept hanging on to Lisey's Story even though it's over 600 pages, and I just couldn't bring myself to read it. So today I finally let it go and read an Agatha Christie book in one sitting. Prompt completed.

message 15: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Oct 20, 2018 05:05PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Alexa wrote: "19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author

For this prompt, I kept hanging on to Lisey's Story even though it's over 600 pages, and I just couldn't bring myself to read it..."

Oh, I have to say you didn't miss anything IMO....I think Lisey's Story is the ONLY Stephen King book I didn't like. Too much weird language and baby talk between the characters, it had so much ick factor , and not in a good horror novel sort of way. It was just unsettling.

I changed my choice for this same prompt today. I hd planned The Last Child but I couldn't resist finishing up all of my Gillian Flynn reading, so I spent a little while this afternoon reading The Grownup, which was a nice ghost story for this time of year. Also a short one (64 pages) so bumps me ahead a category. I'm way behind ;-)

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Tracy wrote: "Alexa wrote: "19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author

For this prompt, I kept hanging on to Lisey's Story even though it's over 600 pages, and I just couldn't bring my..."

It was recommended to me by someone, and she really liked it, but I'm not sure I will. Still, if I paid money for it then I'm planning to read it eventually! The cover is nice.

Nice going! I'm going to check out The Grownup, I want more ghost stories.

I have 5 prompts left, but I don't have much time to read next to uni :( Plus I have some tough ones left that I really don't feel like reading.

message 17: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Oct 21, 2018 09:05AM) (new)

Alexa wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Alexa wrote: "19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author

For this prompt, I kept hanging on to Lisey's Story even though it's over 600 pages, and I just cou..."

Ha! Yea I brought it on vacation with me years ago and I did finish the whole thing but I distinctly remember making comments the whole time I was reading it, lol. I followed it up with Duma Key which was really good, I thought. You should check out some of the reviews here if you haven't already, they're pretty funny and will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Still love Stephen King though, he's one of my absolute favs. I'd say read it, but save it for later if you're working through prompts. It looks like you're pretty close to being done with the challenge, so good for you!!

I'd definitely recommend The Grownup. It was $2.99 on kindle ( a bit much for 64 pages , but still...) It took me less than hour to read altogether and the ending..... I wanted more. wish it had been a full length novel. I think the only Gillian Flynn I wasn't all that impressed with was Gone Girl.

I remember how hard it is to read during college ( I love how overseas you all call it uni :-)), I didn't read for 4 years while I was in Nursing school. For your gothic choices Miss Peregrines is a super quick read. Frankenstein and Wuthering heights wouldn't be too bad either, I loved them both. I'm getting ready to read frankenstein now, its actually short, but maybe the language a little more complex, its been years since I read it. You also have a few YA on the list ( Smoke and Bone, Wayfarers, which I haven't read, but YA is usually a pretty quick read also. Maybe if you find yourself running low on time, check out the threads and see if you can find some other choices, my plans change constantly throughout the year ,especially now that Im not feeling up to reading too much and I need some quick books if I'm ever going to finish;-)

message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Tracy wrote: "Alexa wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Alexa wrote: "19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author

For this prompt, I kept hanging on to Lisey's Story even though it's over 600 pages, ..."

Yeah, I read a shorter Agatha Christie book instead because I didn't think I'd read Lisey's Story this year :D there's always 2019.

Honestly, I live in Hungary and English is not our first language, so I could call it anything :D I think it depends on the person, but most people I know go with uni. Depends on what kind of English you learn.

I'm planning to read Frankenstein for that one, but I REALLY should read Miss Peregrine's already, it's been on my shelf for years... so maybe I'll switch to that? Do you think it's "gothic enough"?

I started reading Wayfarers already but then I switched to others that were more important. But hopefully I'll finish it soon.

My biggest problem is the legal/medical thriller category because I have only one idea for that and I don't feel like reading it. Technically I also have some other medical thrillers from my Dad, but I just don't like the genre?

message 19: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Oct 22, 2018 08:52AM) (new)

Found this definition of Gothic: Gothic fiction was a branch of the larger Romantic movement that sought to stimulate strong emotions in the reader - fear and apprehension in this case. Gothic fiction places heavy emphasis on atmosphere, using setting and diction to build suspense and a sense of unease in the reader. Common subject matter includes the supernatural, family curses, mystery, and madness.

So I would say that YES, Miss Peregrines fits ALL of that, such a fun book. And the pictures alone adding to the tone of the story are very Gothic. I did also find it under a listopia of "Modern Gothic". I think you're good to go there. Plus, it was such a fun book. I only read it last year and it had been sitting on my shelf forever too :p

I think a large majority of us are dreading the medical/legal thriller prompt. I finally settled on Defending Jacob. Its a genre I used to read a lot of but don't anymore and haven't in a very long time. The good thing is that they are usually written at a lower level and are quick reads. You could also go different directions with it and read true crime or my original plan was to read nonfiction like The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus or The Demon in the Freezer. If I really run out of time I'm doing the biggest stretch ever and counting The Boy on the Bridge... zombies plus medical research about a virus= thriller, lol.

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Tracy wrote: "Found this definition of Gothic: Gothic fiction was a branch of the larger Romantic movement that sought to stimulate strong emotions in the reader - fear and apprehension in this case. Gothic fict..."

Yes, I think I included it because of that list as well, I just wasn't sure about what counts as gothic. But I'll definitely read it then :D

The Nemesis Cell is a book I got for free from Amazon I think, and it's tagged both medical and thriller, so I'll try that first.

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments I finished the medical thriller prompt today, though I didn't enjoy it much. Still, only 4 prompts to go!

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments I have no idea why it took me so long to finish The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, but I am officially done with my challenge! Yay!

message 23: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Alexa wrote: "I have no idea why it took me so long to finish The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, but I am officially done with my challenge! Yay!"

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

message 24: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Joan wrote: "Alexa wrote: "I have no idea why it took me so long to finish The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, but I am officially done with my challenge! Yay!"

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!"

Thank you!!

message 25: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1275 comments Mod
Yay!