Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Determination Lists - Archive > DJ's 2018 Determination Plus Challenge log

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donnajo (last edited Dec 26, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments 2018 Determination Plus Challenge
18/18

1. Bungalow Nights by Christie Ridgway (1/9/18)

2. The Wanderer by Robyn Carr (8/26/18)

3. Fast Courting by Barbara Delinsky (9/7/18)

4. One Way Out by Michele Albert (10/16/18)

5. I'd Rather Be Reading by Anne Bogel (4/23/18) I'm doing a switch on my own rules I might have read library book copy but enjoyed it so much I then bought my own print copy so it's a book I read that I now own a copy of which doesn't usually happen LOL.

6. Body and Soul by Sherryl Woods (12/5/18)

7. The Apple Orchard by Susan Wiggs (12/11/18)

8. The Gift of Time: Making the most of your Time and your Life by T. Alexander Anderson (12/16/18)

9. Looking for Alaska by John Green (12/16/18)

10. The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis by Caroline Kennedy (12/26/18)

The next 8 books is the Plus part of the challenge almost like a bonus. Below are the 8 categories you need to read a book for.

11. A new author's first book (could be also a new to you author that you haven't read before) Loose Ends by Caroline Taylor (read 2/25 arc reviewed)

12. A book set in a different country than you live in. The Duchess by Danielle Steel

13. A book that is a different genre than your usual reading books (whatever you normally don't read try something out of your comfort zone if you want) If they Come for us by Fatimah Asghar (poetry) (read 4/27 and goes live in august)

14 & 15. Two books from a series you haven't completed yet (I'm sure we all have those, the books don't have to be the same series if you don't them to be)
(14) When Bruce Met Cyn by Lori Foster (reissue read arc copy read in April)
(15) Beach House for Rent by Mary Alice Monroe

16. A book that comes out in 2018. After Anna by Lisa Scottoline (arc read 4/12)

17. A book that was recommended to you. The First Kiss of Spring by Emily March

18. A book you meant to read in 2017 but never got around to it.
Animal Instincts by Patricia Rosemarie (3/28/18 arc to be reviewed never got around)

message 2: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Finally updated. I need to get moving on the top part of this. With all the arcs I have to read I can't seem to get to any of my owned print books but hopefully with summer coming I'll get to knock those during beach time.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I need to start listing some of mine. I was waiting until I got some read to choose from for the additional eight. The top part is the hard part!

message 4: by Donnajo (last edited Jul 19, 2018 05:07AM) (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I really have to get moving on this challenge. I need to do some print books off my shelf for the first bunch of books. I added #12.

message 5: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I only need the top to finish and #15 for the series. 8 to read to finish challenge. I guess I need to pick out a print book off my shelf.

message 6: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Finally something is happening one more added to top and moved and add another book on bottom. I think I'll finally have the time to take care of rest on the top section only 6 print books from shelf to get read by end of the year.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments DJ : that’s great. I think I’m almost settled on what mine will start to take shape with too.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Hi DJ: Just curious, how are you coming on your determination list? I think I finally have a handle on mine.

message 9: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I don’t know I think I’ll be doing different for the 10. The one library book I finished a week or so ago I was determined to read yet it wasn’t off my shelf also the one I’m reading now has been on my list for awhile to read. But maybe for the time being I will still push for my own print book and won’t use the others unless I need too. My hope is to finish the ones started but we shall see.

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments It’s only 6 books I have to finish.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments DJ That is very manageable!
Donnajo wrote: "It’s only 6 books I have to finish."

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments It should be if I wasn't having to read so many NetGalley arcs that have to be reviewed. I need a better system next year. of having a good mix of print and ebook arcs. I really want to get some of the print owned books read especially since I always go to the big library sale in March so it would be nice to get some read so I have room to add more. and I don't meal to weed out books without reading them. I also have 2 or 3 holiday books I have that I would like to read before christmas. but have been reading so many holiday ones since oct or before I'm tired of them already (meaning arcs)

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments DJ I may have to look for a holiday book to sneak in. Any suggestions?

message 14: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Did you read blue Christmas by Mary Kay Andrews? It’s one I have not sure I would get rid if it it’s signed one from books won from Booktowne if you get you haven’t read it and can get coot we can read it together there is only about 190 pages in the book. I also think I have a book in the bag of holiday short stories by a male author I will let you know the title later. I also have I believe a first in series Winter street by Elin Hilderbrand

message 15: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I posted a few that is on my TBR shelf I will try and see if I have any others.

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments okay I added another book to top. And did a switch on my own rule of the top 10 being my own print books. As I said yes I read library copy but I then went out and bought a print copy of the book so I own it.
I'm working on a few other books I hope I will finish those in time so now I'm down to needing 5 books print owned books that I have to get read by end of the year. Can I say I'm again "OverBooked" with NetGalley books to read to review. i need to check the bookcase for any books I can read fast. LOL.

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I liked I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life a lot too DJ! Thanks for recommending it!

message 18: by Karly (new)

Karly | 314 comments Ohh that sounds like a great book! Adding to my tbr!

message 19: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Karly wrote: "Ohh that sounds like a great book! Adding to my tbr!"

It's very good. I'm not a essay or short story person this one I would for sure read again. Found myself shaking my head to a lot of the things Ann said. I totally recommend it if you can get a copy.

message 20: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Another owned print book added.

message 21: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Another Owned print book down. 3 more to go.

message 22: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments One more to go. I started a book of poetry but maybe will finish another one that is started instead.

message 23: by Donnajo (last edited Dec 26, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Yeah completed the challenge. Will start to think what will be my first read for the 2019 Determination Plus Challenge.

message 24: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Congrats DJ! One I thought I could list didn’t get read; my digital loan ended before I finished it.