The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris ***Spoilers***

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 48 comments OK, so, I'm reading this book...I'm about 2/3 of the way done, but I just read this part of the book, and I died laughing:

"That is to say that the tap dries up at the exact moment I roll out of bed, which is usually between 10:00 and 10:30. For me this is early, but for Hugh and most of our neighbors it's something closer to midday. What they do at 6:00 a.m. is anyone's guess. I only know that they're incredibly self-righteous about it and talk about the dawn as if it's a personal reward, bestowed on account of their greatest virtue."

I love it!! Any other favorite quotes from the book or any other thoughts in general?

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) hi Jennifer- I did not read this book, but I want to. I just read what you posted and I cracked up as well!! It so reminds me of my husband and me. I get up at 6, and he gets up about 3 hours after me.
I have Sedaris' other book Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim on my nightstand ready to read. It will be my first Sedaris.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 48 comments yeah, i just put up his other books on my tbr list. he is def crawling up on my "all-time favorite authors" list!!

message 4: by Eve (new)

Eve (eve_lyn) Jennifer-
In the middle of reading this book and I'm in hysterics as I am when I read anything by Sedaris.

Here's one -
"'A bow tie announces to the world that you can no longer let an erection.'"

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Hillarious! I am thinking back years ago to a partner in the law firm I used to work at as a legal secretary that wore a bow tie every single day.

message 6: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) To me, David Sedaris is just laugh-out-loud hilarious. I finished "When You Are Engulfed In Flames" about a week ago and I am still laughing.

I just sent the book out as a Book Mooch, so I can't quote it, but the chapter concerning the growth on his lower back nearly undid me! It was so gross yet so hysterical. Sedaris has such a talent for taking a simple observation or situation in a completely unexpected directions. He makes me cry with laughter and hurts my stomach!