UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > A Christmas carol

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Chapman | 36 comments Just reading Charles Dickens a Christmas Carol. What a classic, I will be reading it to my daughter when she is old enough.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Lovely!

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments I've just been to a reading of A Christmas Carol. The actor read a page or two and then recited/acted the rest. Amazing. Loved it. Can't imagine how he managed to remember it all.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Chapman | 36 comments Another brilliant Dickens ghost story is The Signalman.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11185 comments Jason wrote: "Another brilliant Dickens ghost story is The Signalman."

I've got the BBC version of that to watch

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Jason wrote: "Another brilliant Dickens ghost story is The Signalman."

Oh yes! Once read, never forgotten.

message 7: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) Desley (Cat fosterer) wrote: "Jason wrote: "Another brilliant Dickens ghost story is The Signalman."

I've got the BBC version of that to watch"

One of my favourites, in both forms.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Chapman | 36 comments I'd love to see the BBC version

message 9: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) Jason wrote: "I'd love to see the BBC version"

There's a really good BFI boxset of all the BBC Christmas ghost stories

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11185 comments Jason wrote: "I'd love to see the BBC version"

It was on Christmas Eve, BBC4 so should be on iPlayer still

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Chapman | 19 comments Desley (Cat fosterer) wrote: "Jason wrote: "I'd love to see the BBC version"

It was on Christmas Eve, BBC4 so should be on iPlayer still"

Yes I have just found it. Just poured myself a nice glass of new year brandy and I am about to watch it.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11185 comments Jason wrote: "Desley (Cat fosterer) wrote: "Jason wrote: "I'd love to see the BBC version"

It was on Christmas Eve, BBC4 so should be on iPlayer still"

Yes I have just found it. Just poured myself a nice glass..."

Enjoy

message 13: by H.E. (new)

H.E. Bulstrode (goodreadscomhebulstrode) | 58 comments The BBC version of The Signalman was brilliant. I watched it again on Christmas Eve, 41 years after I first saw it as a child when it originally came out in December 1976. It must have been one of the first adult ghost stories that I saw on television. I can't believe that I hadn't read 'A Christmas Carol' until last month, which is far better than any of its screen adaptations, although I think that the 1951 version with Alistair Sim starring as Scrooge seems to best capture its spirit. Benjamin, which others in the BFI box set would you particularly recommend? I think that I took a brief look at it a year or two ago, but was put off by the price.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason Chapman | 19 comments H.E. wrote: "The BBC version of The Signalman was brilliant. I watched it again on Christmas Eve, 41 years after I first saw it as a child when it originally came out in December 1976. It must have been one of ..."

I watched the Signalman last night on IPlayer. It sent shivers down my spine. I loved Denholm Elliott, what a brilliant actor.
Bernard Lloyd was also brilliant and a fellow Welshman no doubt.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I may be slightly biased, but I think the Welsh are the best narrators and voice actors.

When Dave tells a story, I get more joy from watching the kids than from him telling the story. You should see their wee faces. Even better when there are parents in the room.
I really should start make a point of videoing it.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21935 comments Certainly Richard Burton reads 'Under Milk Wood' in a way I've never heard bettered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtzO...

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments He does it with a genuine Llareggub accent. Must have been a native! ;)

message 18: by Benjamin (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:59AM) (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) H.E. wrote: "The BBC version of The Signalman was brilliant. I watched it again on Christmas Eve, 41 years after I first saw it as a child when it originally came out in December 1976. It must have been one of ..."

The original (1960s) Whistle and I'll Come to You, The Treasure of Abbott Thomas and A Warning to the Curious are all particularly good!

The best Christmas Ghost Story the BBC ever did was The Stone Tape, but that's sadly not in the box set - thought it does seem to come in a pack with the equally excellent Ghostwatch.

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason Chapman | 19 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "I may be slightly biased, but I think the Welsh are the best narrators and voice actors.

When Dave tells a story, I get more joy from watching the kids than from him telling the story. You should ..."

Richard Burton, War of the Worlds. Fantastic.

message 20: by Anna (last edited Jan 04, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments I can still 'hear' Richard Burton when he commentated on the wedding of Prince Charles to Lady Diana Spencer and he said 'O rose of England' in such a way that I shall never forget it.

Does anyone know if he has voiced any other audio books? I might have to buy one...

message 21: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments I rather like this:

https://youtu.be/mM39ChglcYc

message 22: by H.E. (new)

H.E. Bulstrode (goodreadscomhebulstrode) | 58 comments Jason wrote: "H.E. wrote: "The BBC version of The Signalman was brilliant. I watched it again on Christmas Eve, 41 years after I first saw it as a child when it originally came out in December 1976. It must have..."

Denholm Elliott was particularly good.

message 23: by H.E. (new)

H.E. Bulstrode (goodreadscomhebulstrode) | 58 comments Benjamin wrote: "H.E. wrote: "The BBC version of The Signalman was brilliant. I watched it again on Christmas Eve, 41 years after I first saw it as a child when it originally came out in December 1976. It must have..."

I think that 'A Warning to the Curious' is my favourite of those three adaptations. Peter Vaughan was particularly good in it. I also enjoyed the BBC version of 'The Stalls of Barchester' with Robert Hardy. I've yet to see 'The Stone Tape' though.

message 24: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) H.E. wrote: "I think that 'A Warning to the Curious' is my favourite of those three adaptations. Peter Vaughan was particularly good in it. I also enjoyed the BBC version of 'The Stalls of Barchester' with Robert Hardy. I've yet to see 'The Stone Tape' though. "

I enjoyed the Stalls of Barchester as well - it just didn't make quite as much of an impression on me as those three. Still very good, though!

Almost nobody's seen The Stone Tape, despite it being the work of the late, great Nigel Kneale (who created Quatermass. and was behind arguably the best adaptation of The Woman in Black in the 1980s)

message 25: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Benjamin wrote: "Jason wrote: "I'd love to see the BBC version"

There's a really good BFI boxset of all the BBC Christmas ghost stories"

I have that boxset. It's brilliant. The BBC used to do the best Christmas ghost stories.