The Old Curiosity Club discussion

A Christmas Carol
This topic is about A Christmas Carol
General Discussion > The movie: The Man Who Invented Christmas

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jerry-Book (new) - added it

Jerry-Book | 4 comments Anyone see this movie? Reactions? It is certainly is one way of looking at an author's creative process.

John (jdourg) | 1038 comments I have not seen the movie yet, but I have the book downloaded on my Nook and hope to get to it next week.

I've heard mostly positive comments about the movie.

Peter | 3030 comments Mod
I would highly recommend seeing the movie. It captures Dickens’s frenetic pace and personality, the sets and wardrobes are enjoyable, and the movie’s script will appeal to both those who know nothing about the writing of ACC and those who know their Dickens trivia.

By that I mean the Curiosities will find many phrases, names, settings and Dickensian trivia and treats woven into the narrative and settings. It would be unfair to ruin anyone’s fun by mentioning any now, but I would enjoy discussing the film at more length in a couple of months when many of us may have seen it.

message 4: by Jerry-Book (new) - added it

Jerry-Book | 4 comments This is the trailer for the movie: https://www.google.com/search?q=the+m...
I thought the movie was fun. It had an 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Tristram Shandy | 4451 comments Mod
It's not yet showing in our town but it seems like a film my wife would also like to watch with me.

message 6: by CQM (new)

CQM I'm guessing what the movie is. All I know is
Dickens is Christmas.

message 7: by Jerry-Book (new) - added it

Jerry-Book | 4 comments The movie is about Charles Dickens writing the book "A Christmas Carol". In the plot he has had flops such as "Martin Chuzzlewit" and is looking to make a comeback with a Christmas book. The movie concerns the creative process an author goes through in taking items and events from real life to create fiction.

Milena | 114 comments I saw the film. I enjoyed the way it tackled the relationship between the author and the main character of his book (ACC). An entertaining, amusing film.

Teri (teria) I saw this movie when it was out last year and really enjoyed it. It was fun to see their guesses as to how certain phrases or events in A Christmas Carol came about. There was plenty to smile about for those familiar with the story. I really liked Dan Stevens in the role.

I went to see the film with my family the Sunday before the Christmas holidays started, and our whole family loved it, especially my son, who seems to share my taste in films. The film probably works best when you have just re-read ACC because then you will have the frame for all the quotations and details that keep coming up in the film and be able to place them into the context of the book. The thing I enjoyed most was the idea that the Ghost of Christmas Present was based, in the film at least, on Forster.

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 5691 comments Mod
Tristram wrote: "I went to see the film with my family the Sunday before the Christmas holidays started, and our whole family loved it, especially my son, who seems to share my taste in films. The film probably wor..."

I didn't even remember there was such a film until you mentioned it a few days ago. Obviously I haven't seen it yet, but I will someday.

Mary Lou | 2308 comments For those who haven't seen it, it's free with Amazon Prime right now, and my library system carries several copies of the DVD.

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 5691 comments Mod
Thanks, I'll have to look for it.

message 14: by John (last edited Dec 30, 2018 02:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

John (jdourg) | 1038 comments I purchased this movie on Amazon Prime.

I enjoyed this movie. And the idea of his characters coming to life while he is writing is very intriguing, and I must say I can only imagine it was that way for a man who was a creative force like few have seen in history.

If I had one minor "disconnect" it would be that the character of Dickens seemed overly frenetic and that is not how I have imagined him from biographies. He did have a great sense of humor and was very much sociable, but the character of him seemed like a guy who just drank six cups of strong coffee and needed to work off the caffeine.

John wrote: "He did have a great sense of humor and was very much sociable, but the character of him seemed like a guy who just drank six cups of strong coffee and needed to work off the caffeine."

And this is probably why the movie worked perfectly for me in the presentation of Dickens - because I imagine the younger Dickens as a candle lit on both ends. I also found my idea of him confirmed when Catherine told him that he was so difficult to live with since everyone was expected to guess his various whims, and since he basically lived more amongst his creations than among his family members.