Reading the Chunksters discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Chunksters Planning > February Contemporary Chunkster nominations are open!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dianne (last edited Jan 12, 2018 03:26AM) (new)

Dianne | 0 comments Please nominate a contemporary chunkster here! This group read will begin February 15, and the length of time we devote to the book will depend on the book. Everyone gets a nomination and a second. Nominations will be open until January 15, and the top five most seconded books will go to poll. Happy nominating and Happy Holidays!

Nominations and seconds- First name per book is the nominator, next names are seconders

As of January 12, the books that will move to poll are:
1. A Suitable Boy
2. Pachinko
3. The Jewel in the Crown
4. The House of Government
5. Cryptonomicon

A Suitable Boy: Dianne / Julie/Amanda/Michelle
The Revolution of Marina M.: Amanda / Tracey
Pachinko: Sofia / Haaze/ Janice / Brittany
Cryptonomicon: Christopher/ Rosemary/Paula
The Pale King: John/Linda
The Jewel in the Crown: Joseph / Roman Clodia /Pamela / Christopher /Kathleen
The House of Government: A Saga of the Russian Revolution: Dan / Dianne /Sarah Anne /Candace/ Hugh
The Mandarins: Roman Clodia / Joseph

Need seconds:
Almanac of the Dead: Sarah Anne / ?
Stones from the River: Tracey /?
A Brief History of Seven Killings: Andrea / ?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I nominate Almanac of the Dead.

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 0 comments I will nominate A Suitable Boy.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (tasseled) | 189 comments I'd like to tackle A Brief History of Seven Killings.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1349 comments Andrea, that was going to be my nom! Except I was going to wait until the next round in a couple of months. I fear I will still be reading Moby Dick in mid February.

message 6: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 0 comments Amanda wrote: "I nominate theMystery.doc."

it seems that the page count of this is deceiving, because there are mysterious blanks in the pages and blacked out text. Mystery indeed!

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) | 388 comments Dianne wrote: "Holy moly 1669 pages! That might win the chunkster hall of fame Amanda!"

I'm halfway through and have put it aside for now. Don't be impressed by the length. It's really more about 340 pages of text with a bunch of blank pages with asterisks (26 in a row in one place). Or random pictures that don't tie to anything. One fairly erudite reader, who loved it btw, said it was a weaker book when the author had stretches of prose. I thought that was hilarious.

It says it's a novel, but it's really not. Imagine spending 10 years writing disjointed, random notes about yourself or about a current event, or jotting down a couple of interesting ideas for a couple of different novels...and then deciding to send your notebook off to your publisher. That's this book. What's interesting is that the book description talks of one thread which sounds really interesting and intriguing, but it never goes anywhere. I think they used that blurb because it sounded like the most interesting one, which it was. And because it is probably the only coherent narrative thread in the book. Which is true.

There are also a lot of pages that just have the word "um". Or..."um, um, um, like, um, you, like um. Yeah."

Just letting you know what you're in for on this one. It's supposed to be oh so meta and it doesn't achieve that. Better to read Wallace or Danielewski.

Sorry, had to chime in negatively on this one. If someone read this and loved it, So sorry.

I'm going to finish it sometime, but not when there are more yummy reads on my list. And, I like a little book with my book :) :).

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'll second A Brief History of Seven Killings.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) | 162 comments Paula wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Holy moly 1669 pages! That might win the chunkster hall of fame Amanda!"

I'm halfway through and have put it aside for now. Don't be impressed by the length. It's really more about ..."

Well that’s disappointing. In that case I’m going to withdraw this nom and pick a different one.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) | 162 comments I nominate The Revolution of Marina M. and second A Suitable Boy.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I nominate Stones from the River a book I have wanted to read for a while.

message 12: by Tracey (new)

message 13: by PS (new)

PS I'd like to nominate Pachinko. My edition has 537 pages (does it qualify as a chunkster?!)

message 14: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 0 comments Anything over 500 pages is chunky :)

message 15: by PS (new)

PS Ah brilliant thanks!

message 16: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 120 comments Sofia wrote: "I'd like to nominate Pachinko. My edition has 537 pages (does it qualify as a chunkster?!)"

I will second Pachinko! :)

message 17: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) So many great nominations. Several I would be happy to read

message 18: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 80 comments Digs deep in TBR pile for a contemporary...

I nominate
Cryptonomicon

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (tasseled) | 189 comments Ooooh, Pachinko is also on my immediate tbr, but since it's waiting for me in the library as we speak and has a huge hold list I'll have to read it much sooner than mid-February.

message 20: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary I will second Cryptonomicon

message 21: by PS (new)

PS Andrea wrote: "Ooooh, Pachinko is also on my immediate tbr, but since it's waiting for me in the library as we speak and has a huge hold list I'll have to read it much sooner than mid-February."

It's ridiculously popular at my library too. Hope you enjoy it! :)

message 22: by John (last edited Dec 27, 2017 12:37PM) (new)

John (johnred) | 364 comments I’d like to nominate The Pale King by David Foster Wallace.

Not sure about my second yet, lots of good choices!

message 23: by Paula (last edited Dec 24, 2017 05:11PM) (new)

Paula (paula-j) | 388 comments Christopher wrote: "Digs deep in TBR pile for a contemporary...

I nominate
Cryptonomicon"

Oh yes! I give a second "second" for Cryptonomicon!!! It's a book that would really benefit from a group approach. Especially this group 🤗.

message 24: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 0 comments It’s the five most seconded that will go to poll, so re-second if you’d like, Paula.

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) | 388 comments Dianne wrote: "It’s the five most seconded that will go to poll, so re-second if you’d like, Paula."

Thanks! Just did. What a book!

message 26: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 80 comments On Rosemary and Paula seconding Cryptonomicon:

message 27: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) | 388 comments Christopher wrote: "On Rosemary and Paula seconding Cryptonomicon:

"

Ha ha!

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1349 comments Well dang it there are just too many good books being nominated!

I second John’s nom of A Pale King. But between that, A Brief History, and Cryptomonium, I am going to be torn at the polls.

message 29: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1349 comments Or, however that Stephenson book is spelled. I know I totally messed that one up. 😀

message 30: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Sofia wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Ooooh, Pachinko is also on my immediate tbr, but since it's waiting for me in the library as we speak and has a huge hold list I'll have to read it much sooner than mid-February."

I..."

I would love to read Pachinko with the group if that won but there may be a problem for a lot of people getting it at the library in time for February. My library system has 56 holds on 7 copies.

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie | 33 comments I will second A Suitable Boy.

message 32: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia I'll nominate The Mandarins by Simone de Beauvoir.

message 33: by Dan (new)

Dan The House of Government: A Saga of the Russian Revolution, Yuri Slezkine

message 34: by Joseph (last edited Dec 28, 2017 08:11AM) (new)

message 35: by Joseph (new)

message 36: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 0 comments I’ll update our nominations and seconds tonight but just one nomination and one second per person :)

message 37: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) | 0 comments Dianne wrote: "I’ll update our nominations and seconds tonight but just one nomination and one second per person :)"

OK. Sorry.

message 39: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 0 comments Joseph which of your choices did you want to be your nomination?

message 40: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) | 388 comments Joseph wrote: "The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye by M.M. Kaye"

This was my Dad's favorite book. He read it many times. Thanks for bringing me such a fond memory, Joseph. I adored my father.

I remember, when the Parkinson's made his hands shake so badly that he couldn't hold a book, he had a friend make him a special book stand. This book was the one most often sitting on his stand. 🤗

message 41: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) | 0 comments Since someone seconded The Jewel in the Crown, I would go with that one. Naturally I guess it would mean only the first book in the The Raj Quartet.

message 42: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) | 0 comments Paula wrote: "Joseph wrote: "The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye by M.M. Kaye"

This was my Dad's favorite book. He read it many times. Thanks for bringing me such a fond memory, Joseph. I adore..."

You're welcome.

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) | 162 comments Paula I didn’t know your Dad had Parkinson’s. My Dad is 80 and has it for 14 years. His tremors are controlled by meds but his mind is going quickly. He’s having horrible hallucinations. It breaks my heart. I adore my dad too. ❤️

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) | 388 comments Amanda wrote: "Paula I didn’t know your Dad had Parkinson’s. My Dad is 80 and has it for 14 years. His tremors are controlled by meds but his mind is going quickly. He’s having horrible hallucinations. It breaks ..."

Thanks for sharing, Amanda. It is heartbreaking when someone you love so much starts to fail.

I lost my Dad to cancer, but his mind was sharp right to the end. The Far Pavilions was a book I read and then gave to him. And when he passed away, the book came back to me. It has a special place in my heart.

message 45: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Paula wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Paula I didn’t know your Dad had Parkinson’s. My Dad is 80 and has it for 14 years. His tremors are controlled by meds but his mind is going quickly. He’s having horrible hallucinati..."

My dad also died of cancer and I nursed him at the end. I got my love of reading from him. Dads are very special. I feel fortunate to have had such a dad even though I lost him too soon. I have seen others deal with dementias with their parents and that is very hard to deal with. It is heartbreaking.

message 46: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 0 comments Dan wrote: "The House of Government: A Saga of the Russian Revolution, Yuri Slezkine"

I’ll second!

message 47: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) | 388 comments Dianne wrote: "Dan wrote: "The House of Government: A Saga of the Russian Revolution, Yuri Slezkine"

I’ll second!"

Yay! I was hoping it would get a second.

message 48: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 0 comments Tracey wrote: "Paula wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Paula I didn’t know your Dad had Parkinson’s. My Dad is 80 and has it for 14 years. His tremors are controlled by meds but his mind is going quickly. He’s having horrib..."

Paula, Amanda, Tracy, it is so wonderful that you all had/have such close relationships with your dads :) and great if you share a love of reading also! Mine is 81 and I picked up my love of reading from him. It’s been a rough year for him health wise but he was happy with the many books I just got him :)

message 49: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 0 comments The first post has been updated with the current list of nominations and seconds. The five most seconded in two weeks will go to poll.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dianne dear, I'm going to be a pain and switch my second from Seven Killings to House of Government. That looks amazing.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.