Around the World in 80 Books discussion

ATW in 80 Books World Challenge > Hannah - Circumnavigator

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hannah (last edited Feb 11, 2022 08:58AM) (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Preparing myself for a slow and steady journey.. 🗺🛫📖

Summary - 55 countries, 8 regions

Africa (12 countries)
Botswana In the Company of Cheerful Ladies
Democratic Republic of Congo - The Poisonwood Bible
Ethiopia - Beneath the Lion's Gaze
Gambia - Swing Time
Ghana - Ghana Must Go
Kenya - Dust
Libya - In Extremis: The Life of War Correspondent Marie Colvin
Morocco - Less, In Morocco - Edith Wharton (ANNOTATED) Second Edition Full Version
Nigeria - Half of a Yellow Sun
Réunion - Indiana
Uganda - The First Woman
Zimbabwe - We Need New Names

Asia (7 countries)
China - Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
India - The God of Small Things
Japan - From the Fatherland, with Love
Pakistan - Burnt Shadows
Singapore - Crazy Rich Asians
South Korea - Pachinko
Vietnam - On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous

Caribbean (4 countries)
Barbados - Washington Black
Dominican Republic- In the Time of the Butterflies
Panama - The Tailor of Panama
Trinidad and Tobago - Golden Child

Europe (17 countries)
Albania - The File on H.
Austria - The Empress and the Cake
Belgium - Villette
Bosnia and Herzegovina - The Cellist of Sarajevo
France - Epitaph for a Spy
Germany - What You Can See from Here
Greece - Circe
Iceland - I Remember You
Ireland - Conversations with Friends
Italy - My Brilliant Friend
The Netherlands - The Miniaturist
Poland - The Pianist: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Survival in Warsaw, 1939–45
Russia - The Master and Margarita
Sweden - Quicksand
Switzerland - The Pledge
UK - Chocky
Ukraine - East West Street: On the Origins of "Genocide" and "Crimes Against Humanity"

Middle East (6 countries)
Afghanistan - The Bookseller of Kabul
Iraq - They Came to Baghdad
Israel - The Red Tent
Oman - Celestial Bodies
Syria - The Beekeeper of Aleppo
Turkey - Snow

Oceania (2 countries)
Australia - Eucalyptus
New Zealand - The Whale Rider

North America (3 countries)
Canada - The Shipping News
Mexico - The Acid Test
USA - The Sellout

South America (4 countries)
Argentina - The Islands
Brazil- State of Wonder
Chile - Distant Star
Ecuador - Voyage of the Beagle

message 2: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Happy travels, Hannah!

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Starting in (1) RUSSIA with The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 3191 comments Hi, Hannah. I started out two years ago on a slow steady journey and have since pickes up speed. Have fun on your bookish travels.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Hi, Hannah. I started out two years ago on a slow steady journey and have since pickes up speed. Have fun on your bookish travels."

Thanks Rosemarie! I’m doing a couple of other reading challenges at the moment, but can see myself getting into this over time.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments And onto (2) CHINA - Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. An epic and moving story, so glad I read this.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (3) Bosnia and Herzegovina- The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway.

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (4) France with Epitaph for a Spy by Eric Ambler.

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (5) Austria with The Empress and the Cake by Linda Stift - staying in Europe, with an unsettling tale haunted by Princess Sissi.

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments A new continent! (6) USA with The Sellout by Paul Beatty.

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Back to Europe in (7) Sweden with Quicksand by Malin Persson Giolito.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (8) The Netherlands with The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments And back to my home country (9) The UK with Chocky by John Wyndham.

message 15: by Hannah (last edited May 20, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Across to (11) Mexico with The Acid Test by Élmer Mendoza but not one that sparked wanderlust

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments My second home (12) Belgium with Villette by Charlotte Brontë. Although wondering if this counts as set in Labassecour, Brontë’s reimagining of Belgium.

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments A rollicking read with a fair amount of commentary on (13) Japan with From the Fatherland, with Love by Ryū Murakami. Loved it!

message 18: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Hannah wrote: "My second home (12) Belgium with Villette by Charlotte Brontë. Although wondering if this counts as set in Labassecour, Brontë’s reimagining of Belgium."

It counts :)

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (14) Italy with My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. Really evocative of Naples.

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (15) Afghanistan and a new region! The Bookseller of Kabul byÅsne Seierstad

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments After bit of a pause, off to (16) Singapore with Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.

message 22: by Hannah (last edited Oct 16, 2018 11:41AM) (new)

Hannah | 70 comments And to a new continent (17) Nigeria with Half of a Yellow Sun byChimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

message 23: by Hannah (last edited Dec 01, 2018 06:57AM) (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Back to Europe in (18) Iceland with I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir. A chilling wintry read.

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments And I finished 2018 in (19) Ireland with Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney. An interesting read, but only with glimpses of Ireland.

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments My goal for 2019 is to read more non-European based books. I’m just starting on a 4 month sabbatical so looking to read a book set or connected to where I’m visiting.

message 26: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 3191 comments That sounds like a good plan. Happy reading in 2019, Hannah.

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (20) Australia while in Sydney with Eucalyptus byMurray Bail. Really interesting style of narrating, and a good meandering story.

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (22) New Zealand with The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera. I read this while on holiday in New Zealand and it felt like both the same place and a different land, lovely.

message 30: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Hannah wrote: "(22) New Zealand with The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera. I read this while on holiday in New Zealand and it felt like both the same place and a different land, lovely."

That sounds wonderful!

message 31: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments My first trip to South America, both in person and in literature, with (23) Chile Distant Star by Roberto Bolaño. Loving the place but not such a fan of this book.

message 32: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Over to (24) Democratic Republic of Congo with The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Loved the majority set in the Congo but found it drifted a bit as the family dispersed.

message 33: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments A slightly entrant terrible and surreal trip to (25) Argentina with The Islands by Carlos Gamerro.

message 34: by Hannah (last edited Mar 28, 2019 07:33PM) (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (26) Ukraine with East West Street: On the Origins of "Genocide" and "Crimes Against Humanity" by Philippe Sands. It roamed Europe, and into the US but felt like the Ukraine was at its origin, heart and end.

message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Off to (27) Iraq with They Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie. A surprise find in my hotel book exchange, and a rollicking good, if unbelievable, mystery.

message 36: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (28) Ecuador with Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin. It voyaged through many places in the Southern Hemisphere but I’m counting it for Ecuador given the significance of the time in the Galápagos Islands.

message 37: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments To (29) Ethiopia with Beneath the Lion's Gaze by Maaza Mengiste. It took a while to get into, but really interesting story and lens into a dark part of the country’s history.

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura H | 138 comments Your trip looks so fun! Thanks for posting.

message 39: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Laura wrote: "Your trip looks so fun! Thanks for posting."

Thanks Laura!

message 40: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments To (30) Libya with In Extremis: The Life of War Correspondent Marie Colvin by Lindsey Hilsum. A bit tricky to decide which country to add this for, as it ranged many countries in the Middle East and elsewhere. A really moving and fascinating listen (audiobooked).

message 41: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Blown away in (31) Dominican Republic by In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez. Powerful and poignant characters, and a fascinating insight into the past of a country I knew nothing about.

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments A disappointing trip to (32) Turkey with Snow by Orhan Pamuk. I loved another of his books, but I found this one too bogged down in the minutiae to be a good read. Onwards!

message 43: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I recommend Birds Without Wings, by de Bernieres.

message 44: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments I’ve neglected this for a while (reading rut), but over to (33) Greece with Circe by Madeline Miller. Not being familiar with Greek mythologies, I struggled with this.

message 45: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments I wanted to like this trip to (34) Canada with The Shipping News byAnnie Proulx, but I really struggled to get through it. Disappointing

message 46: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments Finally, a cracking read for this challenge!! (35) Brazil with State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. It was wonderfully evocative of the Amazon, and had some brilliant and complex characters. Yay!

message 47: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments A brief trip to (36) Morocco in Less by Andrew Sean Greer. This feels a little cheaty, as each section is set in a different country, but Morocco is at least where the protagonist hits a milestone birthday.

message 48: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments (37) Trinidad and Tobago with Golden Child by Claire Adam. Bit of a slow build but I grew to enjoy this book, including the way it evoked life in Trinidad

message 49: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Durisin | 160 comments I loved this book, rated it FIVE well-deserved stars!

message 50: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 70 comments A return to (36) Morocco with In Morocco - Edith Wharton (ANNOTATED) Second Edition Full Version . An incredibly dated book that I picked up in our local book swap but at least it was more fulsomely set there than Less.

« previous 1