UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Next silly question

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21942 comments I now have a kindle App on my desktop so can download books from Amazon

But where on earth is the library on my PC? I cannot find anything to do with Kindle when I go down the 'my computer' and 'local hard disc' route?

All I want to do is to transfer the books to my kindle without having to register the kindle

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments If you haven't got a Kindle registered on Amazon, I don't think the desktop app will be any good to you.

From what I remember it can only be used to read ebooks purchased from Amazon.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21942 comments I'm beginning to suspect that, but I'd assume they'd be stored on a file somewhere on my hard drive and I'd be able to find them and just move them along the USB to the kindle

message 4: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Jim wrote: "All I want to do is to transfer the books to my kindle without having to register the kindle "

If I may ask ... why don't you want to register the kindle? That would seem to be the simplest solution.

Found this for you about transferring files from your PC to kindle, but I'm not sure if it what you are looking for.

http://www.dummies.com/consumer-elect...

But I don't think this works for Amazon titles.

message 5: by David (new)

David Manuel | 1147 comments Jim wrote: "I now have a kindle App on my desktop so can download books from Amazon

But where on earth is the library on my PC? I cannot find anything to do with Kindle when I go down the 'my computer' and 'l..."

I've got the Kindle reader on my desktop and when I open one of my books in it, it seems to save a copy in the Libraries/Documents/MyKindleContent folder. If you load a file onto your desktop in any folder, right click and select Open with Kindle Reader (or something like that), it should open the document in the Kindle Reader and save a copy to that My Kindle Content folder. Now this is on my Windows 7 machine. If you're using some variant of Linux, I'm useless to you.

I've had no trouble opening books I didn't get from Amazon as long as they're in the proper format.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21942 comments Thanks all, I managed to find the files at last, copied the file and transferred it but Amazon has locked it so it can only be opened on a registered machine.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments There's really no problem resist eating your kindle, Jim.

I promise you won't lose what's already on there.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Resist eating. Hehehehe

Registering.

I've not had any wine yet, honest!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11191 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "There's really no problem resist eating your kindle, Jim.

I promise you won't lose what's already on there."

Fantastic typo!

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21942 comments Desley (Cat fosterer) wrote: "Patti (baconater) wrote: "There's really no problem resist eating your kindle, Jim.

I promise you won't lose what's already on there."

Fantastic typo!"

I'm worried it might be a bit indigestible ;-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Lots of tomes. Food for thought.