Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Requesting change for cover of my book + my role

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena Tregnaghi | 4 comments Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!

May I please ask for your help? I am the translator and editor of this book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I would like, if possible, to be listed not only as the translator but also as the editor of the book, as it clearly appears on the cover (traduzione e cura di Elena Tregnaghi).

I would also like to ask if you can please REPLACE the cover: the one that appears on GoodReads was NEVER published: it was only used online for advertising purposes until we had the final cover, which is the only one that was printed and can be found here (the only difference is the size of the title): http://www.edizionidellasera.com/wp/w...

If you need further proof, I can absolutely show you images of the book from real stores.

Thank you so much for your help :)

Elena

message 2: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hello Elena,

for single non-fiction works that have author we do not list the editor so I have left your author role as it is.

Regarding the covers - can you please point out the differences in the covers as they seem identical to me.

I also have a few additional questions:
1. Is this translation of the original work or is it an adaptation
2. In what capacity did Elisabetta Marino contribute to the work
3. Were any advanced reading copies given out pre-publication?

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13665 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Hello Elena,

for single non-fiction works that have author we do not list the editor so I have left your author role as it is."

On classic novels, the editor may be listed.

message 4: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) lethe wrote: "On classic novels, the editor may be listed. "

Thanks. Do we know why? Is it the amount of changes done to a work?

message 5: by Elena (new)

Elena Tregnaghi | 4 comments Hello Ellie,

thank you very much for your reply. Considering the amount of annotations and the introduction I have written, I would have thought it normal to add the editor, but if you don't normally add it, that's okay of course.

Regarding the covers, as I had previously written, the difference lies in the height/size of the title, which we chose to make bigger.

As for your other questions:

1. This is the translation of the original work.
2. Elisabetta Marino wrote a 5-page afterword.
3. No advanced reading copies were given out pre-publication.

Thank you,
Elena

Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Hello Elena,

for single non-fiction works that have author we do not list the editor so I have left your author role as it is.

Regarding the covers - can you please point out the differences in..."

message 6: by Elena (new)

Elena Tregnaghi | 4 comments Hello lethe,

thank you very much for your reply. I would have thought it normal (or, at least, okay) to add the editor to a classic novel's translation, too.

lethe wrote: "Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Hello Elena,

for single non-fiction works that have author we do not list the editor so I have left your author role as it is."

On classic novels, the editor may be l..."

message 7: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hi Elena

I swapped the cover and fixed the contributions.

message 8: by Elena (new)

Elena Tregnaghi | 4 comments Hi Ellie,

thank you so much, I truly appreciate it.

message 9: by lethe (last edited Dec 24, 2017 03:18AM) (new)

lethe | 13665 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "lethe wrote: "On classic novels, the editor may be listed. "

Thanks. Do we know why? Is it the amount of changes done to a work?"

Unfortunately (I complained about this several times), Goodreads makes no distinction between an editor and a copy editor in the manual.

Copy editors are the ones that should not be listed. They check and correct language etc. and are never mentioned on regularly published books, but are often found on SPA editions (where they should be deleted).

An editor of a classic text plays a very different part. They often provide the introduction, the notes, choose the definitive text, etc. For f.e. Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, you can pick the edition you want based on the editor (Penguin has Elaine Showalter, Oxford Claire Tomalin).

From Wikipedia:
In the book publishing industry, editors may organize anthologies and other compilations, produce definitive editions of a classic author's works (scholarly editor), and organize and manage contributions to a multi-author book (symposium editor or volume editor).

Copy editors correct spelling, grammar and align writings to house style.