Reading 1001 discussion

Death Sentence
This topic is about Death Sentence
1001 book reviews > Death Sentence, by Maurice Blanchot

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 480 comments Death Sentence is a narrative about a man's thoughts and feelings about his relationships with 2 particular women and with death as it occurs or nearly occurs to him and those women. Originally published in 1948, this book certainly has the bleak, angsty feel of WW2 shell-shocked literature, and does include one bomb incident from the war, though it is still about the man's thoughts and feelings, not the war, the women, or any other outside events or things.
This book barely made sense. I think that was intentional, actually, and it certainly came across as a very artsy novella, with lots of 'deep' introspection, and occasionally an idea that was pretty good. Most of this novella though is so vague that it drags like a dead weight. Considering the death theme in this story, that may be appropriate too, but it doesn't make for a very enjoyable read. I rated it 2 stars, though my sister said she would probably enjoy this one, when I was telling her about it, so I am sure some people will love this novella. And, it is at least short, even if it is not a favorite.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I haven't heard too much about this one. Your review intrigues me although I'm not sure I'll rush out to read it.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Also, I just realized that Lydia Davis translated this book. 1001 book crossover :)

message 4: by Diane (last edited Oct 30, 2018 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 2.5 stars

A strange little book, but a quick read. It is a philosophical fictionalized memoir about a man and his relationships with two women. It had a promising start but failed to really go anywhere. The author initially made it sound like these were important stories he had to get off his chest, but I really had trouble seeing the whole point. Overall, good prose with too many tangents, making the story seem rather disjointed and pointless. Too experimental for my tastes.