1% Book Club discussion

General > Reading Struggles Mega Thread

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Nankivell | 31 comments Mod
Share your questions and answers regarding the problems you face when it comes to reading books.

message 2: by Brandon (new)

For every book I own that I haven't read, I buy another three. I need help!

message 3: by Rahul (new)

Rahul Saluja (rahulcsaluja) | 3 comments Brandon wrote: "Share your questions and answers regarding the problems you face when it comes to reading books."

While I love reading books, making time out for them apart from my work (actual work) and other "hobbies" (read "time wasters") is my biggest challenge. :-(

message 4: by Rahul (new)

Rahul Saluja (rahulcsaluja) | 3 comments Brandon wrote: "For every book I own that I haven't read, I buy another three. I need help!"

I have 20 cartons of books, which include books bought by my parents :-( ... I have moved over to buying books on Kindle and smuggle the odd printed book into the house every now and then. I need help! ! !

message 5: by Dominic (new)

Dominic | 4 comments I struggle to focus on what I‘m reading. There is a strange difference between reading stuff and perceiving information through a video or an audio book, at leased for me. Sure those are really different things, but while reading I often drift away and think about totally unrelated shit.
The funny part is that I‘m still reading but the info of the book doesn‘t really reach my brain😆.

Can someone relate?

message 6: by Dominic (new)

Dominic | 4 comments I can totally relate!
If you get overwhelmed with information you get kind of obsessed with knowing anything about that specific topic, even though it‘s nearly impossible. Is there someone who knows a way around that?

Maybe there is a book for that? (ironic)

message 7: by Brandon (new)

Dominic wrote: "I struggle to focus on what I‘m reading. There is a strange difference between reading stuff and perceiving information through a video or an audio book, at leased for me. Sure those are really dif..."

I believe the 'drifting' happens to everybody based on time, mood, interest level, setting etc... It just happens more to some people than others. I've found the biggest thing for me to combat the issue is to read what I'm super interested in. You can't always know what book will float your boat but if you choose the topics you're interested in and the book has decent reviews here on Goodreads, then you're off to a good start! Otherwise stick to what medium works for you.

message 8: by Brandon (new)

Kanan wrote: "Reading too many books (especially non-fiction) sometimes seems like a great way to pretend to be productive. Unfortunately, reading too much might be a problem for some people, including me, becau..."

Damn right Kanan. I read 134 books before I took action on anything. I'm attempting to limit my amount of books read to 50 this year instead of reading 110 last year :S

Have you established the productive tasks you should be working on this year Kanan?

message 9: by Brandon (last edited Jan 01, 2018 07:51PM) (new)

Rahul wrote: "Brandon wrote: "Share your questions and answers regarding the problems you face when it comes to reading books."

While I love reading books, making time out for them apart from my work (actual wo..."

Indeed. Selecting the right book offers huge leverage to make it worth your time. You can't get it right all the time but there's some things you can do significantly boost your oods. I've found one solution is to look at reviews before you pick up a book. Anything that has a couple hundred reviews and is a 4.2 star rating rarely leads me to disliking it.

message 10: by Kaushik (new)

Kaushik Choudhury | 4 comments I think good reading experience starts with a great book recommendation. Often a book is highly rated but it may not match with your taste or not structured/written in the way you like it. I find it difficult to get great book recommendation esp. in autobiography and biography genre.

message 11: by Abdo (new)

Abdo Brandon wrote: "Share your questions and answers regarding the problems you face when it comes to reading books."

I read everyday but it's been a while since I've finished a book.. I find it very hard to focus on two or three books till I finish them.. I'm currently reading 7 books and fighting the temptation to start reading a new one..

message 12: by Ayoub (new)

Ayoub | 1 comments After being inspired I read 17 books from January 2016 till October. Last year I only read 3. Now I'm trying to get back into reading but I'm finding it difficult finding the motivation. I read a lot of success kind of books but I'm more interested in factual, practical wealth, health and happiness increasing books. I've read Robert Greene's books, they have been a favourite of mine, well researched, well written and very heavy in material, you need to read them over and over again. The Rational Male has been the most recent book I've tried to start, after perusing the blog and delving into the 'manosphere' 'Red Pill'.

message 13: by Brandon (new)

Abdelilah wrote: "Brandon wrote: "Share your questions and answers regarding the problems you face when it comes to reading books."

I read everyday but it's been a while since I've finished a book.. I find it very ..."

Wow 7! I haven't reached that many but I know what it's like to get tempted when I haven't finished a bunch of others... I tend to drop reading the ones that no longer interest me or haven't given me as much value as I thought they would. Moving forward I discipline myself to pick less books and books that I'll actually read.

message 14: by Brandon (new)

Ayoub wrote: "After being inspired I read 17 books from January 2016 till October. Last year I only read 3. Now I'm trying to get back into reading but I'm finding it difficult finding the motivation. I read a l..."

Nice man. Follow your interests.

message 15: by Brandon (new)

Hi All!

I'd love to learn more about your reading struggles. I have a survey that will take you a few minutes and look forward to your responses.

Take survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2JVXZVJ

-Brandon

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt | 1 comments Abdelilah wrote: "Brandon wrote: "Share your questions and answers regarding the problems you face when it comes to reading books."

I read everyday but it's been a while since I've finished a book.. I find it very ..."

I read 3 or 4 books at a time, I'm just careful to keep them on different subjects/styles or time periods. Nothing wrong with abandoning a bad book (or movie) either