Booktastic Bookaholics discussion

2018 Archives > Leela's Book of the Month Choice - Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leela (new)

Leela | 1500 comments Mod
Hello everyone! This is my Admin Book of the Month Choice! Daughter of Smoke & Bone! This counts as a reread for me but I really want to finish this series this year! And it's been at least 2 years since I read this book! Hopefully you all will join me for this book pick!

Summary:

Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Let me know if you're liking this book, or hating it!

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (booktasticnerd87) | 4512 comments Mod
Oh my gosh this was such a great book. I really need to finish this trilogy. You can I need to challenge each other to finish series/trilogies. Like you set a number for me and I set a number for you. Example: I would challenge you to finish 10 series/trilogies by the end of the year and you could do the same with me. We should discuss this.

message 3: by Leela (new)

We should discuss this! I am planning to finish this trilogy! Which is why I picked this book for the month of January. Reread it and continue on and finish it!

message 4: by Andrea (new)

I shall message you so we can discuss this idea of ours.

I enjoyed this book so much. I loved the setting for the book. The country that was picked out. My grandmother loved the country that it takes place in.

message 5: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne | 727 comments Mod
I read this a couple of years ago and loved the trilogy!

message 6: by Andrea (new)

I need to finish the trilogy.

message 7: by Leela (new)

So do I. I am picking up this book next week!

message 8: by Andrea (new)

I'm picking up Reached next week. I wanted to get the book of the month books out of the way first. I'm already planning next months themes out.

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana | 14 comments First book I read this month. I tried to read this one a few years ago but I didn't make it very far. I'm happy I picked it up again. I loved her writing and the details she put in the world. I need to pick up the second book soon!

message 10: by Leela (new)

Diana wrote: "First book I read this month. I tried to read this one a few years ago but I didn't make it very far. I'm happy I picked it up again. I loved her writing and the details she put in the world. I nee..."

That's gonna be my book choice for next month! I loved book one! It's been like 2 years I think since I've read it tho...

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana | 14 comments Ooh good, my library actually has ebook copies of that series so i can join you! Id have to reread after that long, my memory is not that good.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

I'll be joining in on book two with you next month. I'm thinking about what my book for next month is going to be but I'm pretty sure I think I know what it's going to be.

message 13: by Leela (new)

Ahhh! Reading this book again makes me all happy. I love how this book is written! Laini Taylor is amazing!

message 14: by Leela (new)

I love Brimstone...

message 15: by Leela (new)

Finished this book. I knew I loved it but I had forgotten how much I loved it. I feel like I have a better understanding for it as well. I loved all the characters. They were beautifully written!

message 16: by Andrea (new)

I love the setting for it. My grandmother had a very deep love for Prague. I remember reading this book for the first time and loving it. I didn't want to re-read it because I had two books to re-read this month.

message 17: by Leela (new)

Lol. That's fine. I gushed over this book while I reread it.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

I've been doing the same as I re-read Illuminae and Gemina. Normally I'm not a big re-read person when I've got a ton of other books that I want to read but I just can't help it in January it's like January has become my re-read month. lol

message 19: by Leela (new)

Andrea wrote: "I've been doing the same as I re-read Illuminae and Gemina. Normally I'm not a big re-read person when I've got a ton of other books that I want to read but I just can't help it in January it's lik..."

I don't wanna do a lot of rereads this year. I like rereading quite a bit but this year is not the year for that.

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan (ReadingRover) | 1232 comments Mod
I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it. It’s one of my favorites. Laini Taylor is an amazing author. This whole series and Strange the Dreamer are so beautifully written. The world building in Daughter of Smoke & Bone is unbelievable. I’m gushing just thinking about it!

message 21: by Leela (new)

Megan wrote: "I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it. It’s one of my favorites. Laini Taylor is an amazing author. This whole series and Strange the Dreamer are so beautifully written. The world bu..."

Right!? I loved this book. I think reading it the second time around made me love it even more. I feel like I didn't understand it as much the first time I read it. Second time was the charm.