Discovering Russian Literature discussion

Anna Karenina
This topic is about Anna Karenina
GENERAL TOPICS > Anna in Somalia/Tolstoy in Virginia

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B. P. (last edited Apr 23, 2018 12:37PM) (new) - added it

B. P. Rinehart (ken_moten) | 59 comments I have been haunted by this story about Mohamed Barud Ali and his time as a political prisoner in Somalia. The man nearly goes insane until his friend in the cell next to his starts tapping out in "Morse" code the novel Anna Karenina for him and it changes his outlook on life before and during prison. The way they talk about the novel makes me want to read it.

Also, Ali has his own book on the overall experience called The Mourning Tree: An Autobiography and a Prison Memoir. I have not read it, but I am curious now.

I have always favored Fyodor Dostoyevsky more than Tolstoy. I like Tolstoy and always enjoyed his short stories, but have always been unsure of reading his novels. I have been afraid that after being so use to Dostoevsky, I would not be able to adapt to Tolstoy's quieter tone. But I might have to reconsider. I was wondering what advice Tolstoy fans would have for a Dostoevsky guy on approaching the Count's novels?

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Howell | 47 comments Hey, that’s really an interesting comment to me. I have read the majority Of Doestoyevsky’s Work and little Tolstoy. After I finish my current book, I am going to read Anna Karenina, partly on my mums recommendation but I am slightly apprehensive. I admire and respect Doestoyevsky. I hope it is the great novel that people say it is.

dely | 340 comments Ken wrote: "I like Tolstoy and always enjoyed his short stories, but have always been unsure of reading his novels. I have been afraid that after being so use to Dostoevsky, I would not be able to adapt to Tolstoy's quieter tone. But I might have to reconsider. I was wondering what advice Tolstoy fans would have for a Dostoevsky guy on approaching the Count's novels?"

Between Dostoyevsky and Tolstoj I prefer Dostoyevsky too. From Tolstoj's book I've read so far I would recommend Resurrection. Till now this is the one I've liked the most but there are still a few (like Anna Karenina) I still have to read.

message 4: by Jody (new)

Jody | 2 comments Thanks for the recommendation of Tolstoy's Resurrection. I have added it to my TBR list.