Time Travel discussion

eBooks Under $3 > Cuteness Overlord- Time travel/humor for 1.70

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 12 comments Heya,
This is a listing for Cuteness Overlord, which is my debut. It's a ridiculous book, so I'd certainly recommend it more for fans of humor than for its authentic time travel theories. Basically, all of the science in it is nonsense.

The book is, really, the story of a geneticist saving a future from a dystopia of zombies. Except that it's not zombies. It's telepathic baby animals that eat people. And he's a narcissist who just wants to prove he can save the world.

Here is a blurb:

Carl Shan is an underappreciated geneticist who is absolutely sick and tired of it all.

His research ideas are illegal. He's been fired and dumped. The twenty-nine year old has been reduced to living with his parents in stupid Barnley. Furious with the way the world treats him and knowing that he should always believe in himself, Carl decides to leave it all behind. He builds a time machine to the year 2117. When he arrives, he is surprised to find his workshop a mess.

Why are the buildings in ruins and the streets empty? Also... since when did baby animals have such sharp claws?

description

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LC2RPR

Anyway, I hope you think this is the kind of book you'd wanna try,
Drowsy,
Mike

message 2: by Isa (new)

Isa Briarwood I downloaded it, Mike, and will give it a read as soon as I get a chance. It looks like it might be fun!

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike | 12 comments Thank you, I really hope it is.

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Dale Keck (goodreadscombonniedalekeck) | 5 comments just saw this, and in middle of several things that can't stop, but have put it on ku to give it a read a bit later when can escape my duties

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike | 12 comments Thanks, Bonnie. I hope all of your things go well in the meantime.

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Dale Keck (goodreadscombonniedalekeck) | 5 comments Mike wrote: "Thanks, Bonnie. I hope all of your things go well in the meantime."

had to do one of my...is it the book or is it me things, and not review it...maybe on re-read, but that will be a bit...just kept getting confused type thing

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike | 12 comments I assume you're saying that Cuteness Overlord felt confusing? That's true, I did get that a couple of times, and it's no problem at all if it wasn't your cup of tea.

As far as I can tell, about one out of ten people find the writing style so manic that they're not sure what's happening at any given moment. For some others, that's what they like the most so I guess I should just get better at appealing to both types as I write more books. I embraced the sudden... short sentences.

"Something broke, ears twitched and Mike headed towards the shattered window" instead of "Mike heard a crash in the distance. Heading towards the noise, he found that a window had been smashed."

Either way, I'm super grateful that you tried the book. Sending virtual happiness :D

message 8: by Isa (new)

Isa Briarwood Hey Mike, I read the first 3 chapters last night and I found it a little hard to follow. I think you need more of a hook in the first chapter. Also, I don't know if you follow Jane Friedman's newsletter (she's a well-known agent, or at least used to be one) but she always has tons of good advice and links for websites that she likes. As a writer myself, I really like what she has to say. There is a link to an article she just wrote which you might enjoy:https://www.janefriedman.com/deadlies...

I guess you'll have to copy and paste since it didn't make a hyperlink. But the point she's making is that you have to stick to one character's point of view, at least at first, and she gave some good pointers.

I do want to say that I appreciate your cleverness and sense of humor. I like reading books that don't take themselves too seriously. You have some great material, but it felt somewhat disjointed so I struggled to follow it. I'm sorry, I wish I could offer you a more positive view of your book. I definitely think you should keep writing. The flashes of humor really did make me smile.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike | 12 comments Thanks, Isabell, that's great to hear from you