The Book Vipers discussion

2018 Reading Intentions > Jessica's 2018 Reading Plans

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 44 comments I will try to get through about 10 books again this year (although it looks like I will fall one short this year). I've always been a slow reader and life has been crazy this year. And now that maternity leave is over plus the little one is mobile I am finding even less time to read. I have three books on my bookshelves that I haven't read yet:

A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison
The Night Watch by Sarah Waters
A History of Loneliness by John Boyne

Will get a few more books at Christmas that will be added and will try to fit in a few of the BV monthly reads!

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Do what you can. We have been there. As long as you enjoy what you read it doesn’t matter how much you read. Quality time and all that. Enjoy that baby. Books can wait.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 44 comments Pat wrote: "Do what you can. We have been there. As long as you enjoy what you read it doesn’t matter how much you read. Quality time and all that. Enjoy that baby. Books can wait."

Completely agree :)! It is nice to get some adult books in after reading Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed for the 100th time, lol.

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Haha. I remember that too. Enid Blyton, the wishing chair and other stories. I’m having flashbacks.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Good luck, Jess. Mine are 8 and 4 and I am still in this phase of not-enough-time. Hope you love what you do end up reading :)

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 44 comments Proud to say that in 3 1/2 months I have just completed the 5th book for the year - which takes me to the half way point of my 10 book goal. So far I have read:

The Wanderers by Meg Howrey
The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan

All of them were good reads although I could have survived without The Wanderers.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
Well done Jess

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Well done.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 44 comments Thank you both :)! It is harder to find the time to read with a toddler running around the house hah!

message 10: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments I’m surprised you find any time at all. Even more well done.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 44 comments Luckily he is usually heading to bed sometime between 6 and 7 so after doing a few things around the house I'm able to get some reading in before I go to bed.

message 12: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments That’s when I used to read, when I had small children. Just in bed.

message 13: by Jessica (last edited Sep 16, 2018 03:48AM) (new)

Jessica | 44 comments I have not updated for a while and I did go through a reading slump for a few months where I simply did not have the time to read. However, I've picked it up the last couple of months and I'm at 9 of 10 books for the year. I may surpass my expectations this year!

The Wanderers by Meg Howrey
The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan
I am Forbidden by Anouk Markovits
Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray
The Girls by Lori Lansens
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

For the most part they have all been good reading...The only added book that was just ok was the second book in the Diviners series - Lair of Dreams. My favourite addition is The Girls by Lori Lansens - great book.

message 14: by Toyah (new)

Toyah (rockabillybibiliophile) | 275 comments Good going, well done!

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
Excellent Jess. Well done

message 16: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Wonderful.