Addicted to YA discussion

Any Questions? > Why do you like Young Adult books?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molly (new)

Molly Meenaghan (crustyrolls) | 1 comments As someone who has never read much YA and would like to branch into it in the new years, I'm curious about what you like about the genre, what drew you to it, and I suppose why you perhaps like it over other genres or adult fiction? :)

message 2: by Lilly (new)

Lilly Amechi (lillyamechi) I think I like YA because as a seventeen-year-old, I relate a lot to the content and the mindsets of the characters. I find middle grade a little annoying, but I think that's because it's intended to appease the minds of people younger than me. I haven't ever tried to branch out of YA and into adult books because I haven't found many that interest me. I think that YA is a little bit more diverse than all the others, but that's just my opinion.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob) (jenisnotabooksnob) | 11 comments I'm fairly new to YA as well. I started reading it because I work in a teen department in a library and it seemed like it was important to have read some of the books.

I don't really have a favorite genre, I read regular nonfiction some adult fiction, tons of picture books and juvenile nonfiction.

What I enjoy about YA is that it is very much right to the point. You get more world building than you get in juvenile fiction, but, not as much detail as you get in an adult novel. For instance, when you get to a new setting in an adult novel, you might have several pages describing your new setting and the history of the setting. In a YA novel, you get like a paragraph and then it's right back to dialogue and action. This is fine by me, it sort of relies on you to fill it in with your own imagination which I have no problem doing. I don't need to have a college campus or an old castle described to me, I can imagine it and fill in the blanks. Granted, there are plenty of exceptions to this! There are some YA books that do a ton of world building and some adult novels that are nothing but dialogue and action; I'm just talking about the typical.

I use YA as a wonderful break between nonfiction books.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimhvela) Because they're a light read, very relatable because I'm a young adult myself, cute romance and sometimes have strong themes but it's easier to read because of the kind of writing, I hope this helps!

message 5: by Farren (new)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 524 comments I read both, but I prefer YA writing over adult. Adult books, particularly mystery/thrillers, tend to be very formulaic and I can always figure out "whodunnit" by chapter two. I also like that YA writers try harder to shock their audience with something other than gore or explicit sex scenes, and tend to experiment with alternative writing styles more than adult writers (mixed media, verse, shifting timelines, etc) as well.

I think fantasy is the best genre to shift from adult to YA because magical worlds are always fun to jump into regardless of how old the characters are. Contemporary might not be great because their problems might seem immature and turn you off (I hated contemporary when I first started reading YA), but there are some amazing mental health reads out there worth checking out! Dystopians are always fun too, if you don't mind that most of them feature a special girl who goes from a nobody to saving everyone from the evil government within 3 novels haha

message 6: by Pooja Ravi (new)

Pooja Ravi | 6 comments I personally relate to YA cuz im 16 so that's pretty normal. It really has something to it that I love reading it without getting bored or anything. It pulls me more than any adult novel as I do read those too.

message 7: by Greer (new)

Greer (foxingontheedges) | 15 comments I love YA because I did not read YA when I was a young adult.. I went from Marguerite Henry's horse books to Orson Scott Card. There really was no in between. "Enders Game " was an adult book in 1985 and I loved a "Planet Called Treason" those were the books I grew up on, if you wanted romance you read Sidney Sheldon or for scandal Xaviera Hollandernot, it was from one extreme to the other, cute ponies to ...well you'd have to read "The Happy Hooker" to find out.
I'm making up for the lost YA years.

message 8: by Cadence (new)

Cadence Cavanaugh (cadencecavanaugh) | 35 comments Farren wrote: "I read both, but I prefer YA writing over adult. Adult books, particularly mystery/thrillers, tend to be very formulaic and I can always figure out "whodunnit" by chapter two. I also like that YA w..."
You somewhat took the words out of my mouth!

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sgudger) | 47 comments I'm a reader and writer of young adult books. Like many other people, I have found YA books hold my interest more than adult books. Sometimes it seems as if adult books rely on sex and gore more as a wow factor than a way to add depth to a story/character. YA books over time have matured in so many ways - character development/plot/themes, etc since I was a teen, which makes the genre that much more engaging. Also, some of my most memorable moments happened during my teen years, and I've always had a special place in my heart for teens. It's such an important time in one's life that I love engaging with characters and stories centered around YA. Besides, the awkward moments, first loves, transitioning into adulthood/self-dependence, relationships, etc. are SO much fun to write about and can hold so much meaning and depth it's impossible for me to want to read anything else.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Oksana | 5 comments Hello guys I'm a 21 year old Law student currently obtaining my degree from the University of London. However in my sparetime I enjoy indulging in the mind of the readers through writing. I have a love for true crime stories also myths. I was inspired by a number of events I've watched , read and learned over the years. Here is the synopsis of my first book in this series.

Vermont is a supernatural/crime fiction based in a town called Unknown where the population is full of mystical creatures and there's no human existence. When a young New Yorker Diana McKenzie mysteriously gets turned into a vampire she meets an ancient woman called the Voodoo Queen who guides her to the Unknown town and helps her through her new fate. As Diana gets familiar with the strange town she bonds with a revolutionary detective to help solve a gruesome crime. This book is available on Amazon & Kindle Vermont

message 11: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Black | 7 comments I read YA books because sometimes I get tired of reading about the lust and sex involved in books. The cussing and vulgarity can get a bit old sometimes, so I like YA to get away from all of that.

My first book is a clean paranormal/UF YA book with no cussing and kissing is as intimate as it gets.

message 12: by TheYALibrarian (new)

TheYALibrarian | 339 comments I think mostly why I love YA novels is because I have been reading them as long as I can remember. I would say I roughly started reading YA (and reading in general) when I was 12. I fell in love with Harry Potter and it just branched from there. I still prefer YA fantasy to this day and I'm 24. I have tried to go out of YA by trying both children's and adults books but children's writing is too juvenile for me and adult writing seemed way too toned down so I was bored with most books. Due to this I don't see myself ever leaving the YA genre even as I get older and older.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily_woodal) I’m 35 and 99% of what I read is YA. I like this genre best because of a lot of the same answers everyone else gave; the developing storylines, the in depth characters, and the world building is just so much better than any other genre. I feel like with other genres, I don’t really get that relationship with some of the characters because they weren’t written like YA authors wrote their characters. Plus, I can’t recall other books who have made me so book hot on some of these male protagonist love interests lmao. Wait, is that weird?? Lol. I dunno, overall, YA has the better...well everything....for me

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (aglionby) | 488 comments The draw that YA has is the creativity. Most YA novels focus on fantasy (like when you think of the genre, you immediately think of Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Divergent, Twilight, etc.). However, for adult fiction, you find more realistic books that are really well done.

And as an adult, you may find YA appealing because it might allow you to reminisce your teen years: go back in time, in terms of your state of mind and to bring more fun to your life (as I find YA novels tend to be more light-hearted and not as serious as adult fiction).

But, as a teen, it goes without saying that you connect and relate to YA novels because you are the same age as the protagonists (meaning you already think alike and probably going through the same issues/problems).

In general, YA novels let people escape from reality. Teens can escape to a fantasy world or to a world where the characters are doing things that teen reader wishes they could do (whether it's being more confident or having some crazy superpower). Adults can find escape by going back and really connecting with their teenage self (as they read from a young adult point of view).