You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > January 2018 - Book Voting

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments The poll is up for you to vote on the book you'd like to read and discuss for the January 2018 group read. Vote at https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Voting closes 28th December

message 2: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments I've read Lincoln in the Bardo and all the remaiing are too new to be available. 18th, 69th and 108th in line!

message 3: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments This is a problem with bestsellers. Perhaps you can find another which has more availability to read for the theme.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13585 comments There are three on the list that I really want to read. My library started something new where bestsellers are only available for 2 weeks instead of 4 and no renewals. They also keep a few copies that don’t go out on holds. So you have a chance of finding them available in the library even if there are 200 holds. The best way is to keep an eye on it online, then go grab it when you see it’s been returned.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9418 comments I've read Lincoln in the Bardo, so I will join the discussion if it is chosen. I am also in the waiting list for the audio book, since it is going to be my book club read in January too, so if I get to it on time I plan to reread it on audio this time. I am not very hopeful, though.

We have that too, Kristie. The "Lucky Day" books are at display next to the front desk in the library. They are all books that have long waiting lists, but if you are lucky, you can find it there any day you come into the library. I caught a couple last year this way, but this year I haven't read as many new books as usual.

message 6: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1648 comments Re thread title: No, please don’t make us repeat 2016!

Saar The Book owl | 1771 comments We have that too at our library. It's called 'Sprinter books' and you can borrow them for 1 week, not longer. So, if the normal copy of a book is borrowed, you can take the sprinter book if available.

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48716 comments TrudyAn wrote: "Re thread title: No, please don’t make us repeat 2016!"

We're time travelling back 2 years.

Fixed. :)

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13585 comments Ours is called “too hot to hold” lol

message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19981 comments @Kristie
My library has the same arrangement for Best Sellers. 14 days and no renewals.
I was there last night picking up a request and looked over the selection. I was looking for Lincoln in the Bardo but no luck. Then, I saw The Dry, by Jane Harper and checked it out along with my requested book. I think I can read it in 5 days if I start at midnight 01 am on New Year's Day. I am doing the Aussie Readers 2018 Author's Challenge (12 books) too.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13585 comments I’m hoping to read that one too.

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9769 comments The Dry is a great story. I enjoyed it.

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Janice wrote: "TrudyAn wrote: "Re thread title: No, please don’t make us repeat 2016!"

We're time travelling back 2 years.

Fixed. :)"

Thanks. That's my kindle predicting what I write based on previous titles.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.